The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by habeeb_00
I'd say it depends on if they're feeling generous. The thermometer isn't really less reliable than the data logger, it's just less precise in its measurements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm okay it was 2 marks right? For the second you could have less margin for human/reading errors
Original post by Arisole
Hmm okay it was 2 marks right? For the second you could have less margin for human/reading errors

Yeah that's fine, any reference to being easier to read will probs be given
Original post by ihatehannah
1. Frequency ( 1)

2. Echoes (1)

3. spread out, same as (2)

b) vibrations are parallel to the direction of energy transfer (2)

4. Expensive as National Grid is a long distance away from rural areas (1)

4b) ADVANTAGES
constant supply, little variation in output
£30k cheaper than wind turbine
renewable resource
doesn't produce as much noise as wind
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
could ruin ecosystem by preventing free movement of fish
May need maintenance unlike wind
Lower power output - 8W compared to 10W

Wind - ADVANTAGES
higher average output
Needs little maintenance
renewable resource
Easily expanded
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
Eyesore
noise pollution
Wind speeds vary, meaning there could be times of under- or oversupply
Costs 50k, 30k more than HEP (6)

5. inefficient as less or little energy used to heat food as heat is lost as infrared radiation to the surroundings(2)

uses of infrared(1) : remote controls, optical fibres

uses of microwaves(1): mobile phones, satellites

b) properties of microwaves and infra red radiation (2): can diffract, can refract, travel same speed in vaccuum, both transverse waves, can be reflected

calculation questions, 340 m/s for first one (2) then 78 degrees(3) , then 6.4 watts(2) then 0.07 degrees/s (2) efficiency question was 0.48 W (2)

6. Fins increase surface area and black matt a are good absorbers of heat (2)

7. cosmic microwave background radiation (1)

b) provides evidence for the big bang theory (1)

10. They keep costs as low as possible as efficiency does not increase as much but the cost goes up rapidly , ( give example and data figures to secure the marks) (2)

11. why france will still use nuclear power(2) : cost of electricity is cheaper(1) and produces much more electricity(1) , produces no greenhouse gases like co2(1)

12. Disadvantages of nuclear power stations(2): raw materials are non- renewable, high decommissioning costs, produces radioactive waste.

13. factors that affect rate of energy transfer of mug(2): room temperature, surface area .

b) particles gain kinetic energy and collide more frequently, passing on their extra kinetic energy to other particles .(2)

c) how is a convection current formed in the mug(4): liquid at the bottom is heated and particles gain kinetic energy and move away from each other, this makes the liquid less dense , causing it to rise and displace the denser colder liquid at the top , the denser particles then fall and is heated again.

14) control variable for the investigation measuring rate of evaporation (1) : same beaker or same type of beaker, same position in the room., same thermometer .

b) why is the data logger better(2): more accurate (1) , easier to read(1) , more precise (1)

15 relationship of the graph comparing 3 types of beakers and their rate of evaporation(1): as time increases, rate of evaporation decreases.

b) Beaker A(1) gradient of the line is the lowest and the final temperature is the highest of em all.(1)

The last question was why the temperature of the liquid decreases when it evaporates (3 marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the similar properties of infrared and microwave I put the both can be absorbed and the both can diffract. Would I get these marks?!
Reply 144
Thickness of the mug for the mug question
Original post by Cakes717
For the similar properties of infrared and microwave I put the both can be absorbed and the both can diffract. Would I get these marks?!

yes that is correct
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jackbarry1999
can someone help me i put 4200 divided by 100 x 0.5 and i got 21 i then took 21 away from the initial temp of 100 but it got me 79 where did i go wrong

You needed to put the specific heat capacity in the equation, you put the initial temperature in instead (100) which isn't right because you are working out the temperature , but 78 was the final answer so you were close

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imas1501
You needed to put the specific heat capacity in the equation, you put the initial temperature in instead (100) which isn't right because you are working out the temperature , but 78 was the final answer so you were close

how many marks could i of got
Original post by ihatehannah
yes that is correct

So both can be absorbed is right then?😅
Original post by Zhundo
Thickness of the mug for the mug question

I don't think that's right, the answers were surface area and colour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacpotato
The last question was why the temperature of the liquid decreases when it evaporates (3 marks)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah:

The temperature decreases because the particles near the surface get energy from other particles in the liquid (???) so lower the average particle energy of the liquid as they evaporate, which corresponds to an overall temperature decrease. Bit rough.
Original post by Cakes717
So both can be absorbed is right then?😅

yup
Reply 152
For the why it wouldn't be economically worthwhile to connect the mountain area to the grid I said that "too much energy will be lost through the cables which would have to be long to reach the mountain area?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was the answer to the question when the student repeated the same experiment but with less volume of water? (1 mark)
[QUOTE="jackbarry1999;65163099"]

how many marks could i of got

Possibly 2 out of 3 because you did try to use the equation and minus the answer from the initial temperature

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do not think colour is one.
Original post by Yusuf90
What was the answer to the question when the student repeated the same experiment but with less volume of water? (1 mark)

Less water = quicker evaporation, thus quicker rate of decreased temp.
Original post by Yusuf90

Slower rate of evaporation, because the rate of evaporation decreases when reducing the surface area because less particles are exposed

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 158

Posted from TSR Mobile

The heat would conduct into the mug then into the coffee so the thinner the mug the less distance the energy has to travel.
Slower rate of evaporation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn... just realized this now. what a fool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending