The Student Room Group

AQA C2 25th May 2016 - POLL

How hard did you find the exam
Reply 1
8/k
Reply 2
8/k?
Reply 3
All of it was alright except for 8b, finding the lowest value for theta. I got theta to be minus 5/3, and of course that doesn't work, so I was stumped. The rest was easier than most past papers I've done before.
Original post by l LFG l
All of it was alright except for 8b, finding the lowest value for theta. I got theta to be minus 5/3, and of course that doesn't work, so I was stumped. The rest was easier than most past papers I've done before.

You made the mistake of making it equal to zero.

The minimum value is -1, therefore through doing some rearrangement, you should have made it equal to 2, and the final answer was inverse cos(-1) which is pi.
Reply 5
Original post by jake4198
You made the mistake of making it equal to zero.

The minimum value is -1, therefore through doing some rearrangement, you should have made it equal to 2, and the final answer was inverse cos(-1) which is pi.

How? Plz explain.
Reply 6
Original post by l LFG l
How? Plz explain.

It's minimum value is when cos(x)=-1. Because the maximum value of cos is +1 and minimum value is -1 (from the graph of a cos function). So when cosX is equal to -1, the value of the expression overall is minimum (I mean it can't get any smaller as the variable, which is X, has its minimum at (X=pi)). And the value at which the minimum occurs is obviously X= pi.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ItsMJ
It's minimum value is when cos(x)=-1. Because the maximum value of cos is +1 and minimum value is -1 (from the graph of a cos function). So when cosX is equal to -1, the value of the expression overall is minimum (I mean it can't get any smaller as the variable, which is X, has its minimum at (X=pi)). And the value at which the minimum occurs is obviously X= pi.

Wow. Fair enough. That's the thought of 100% gone.
Reply 8
Original post by l LFG l
Wow. Fair enough. That's the thought of 100% gone.

Oh hey, don't let it get you down mate. 100% UMS isn't necessarily going to be at 75. Given the reaction so far, you could probably lose a few and still get 100%. Don't lose hope yet!

Quick Reply

Latest