The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] OCR MEI AS Mathematics 2016 (C1, C2 & S1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bob6969
pretty high grade boundaries i reckon

:frown: i was hoping they'd be quite low like around 53/72 for an a.
What did you have to put for the comment on part of 6v?
Original post by ilikecheese666

As much as I wish the grade boundaries would be low... I believe the grade boundaries would be high for this paper... :'(
Reply 503
Original post by OscarH98
Can someone explain 2iii)?

There are 3 matches, each result are independent of each other.

If there were one of each outcome in the 3 matches, there would only be one possible combination of the 3 results. (1 Win, 1 Draw, 1 Lose) - 3 types of outcomes.

The other outcomes are a combination of exactly two types of outcomes (what we are trying to find) and only 1 type of outcome (WWW, or DDD, or LLL). This possibility is the sum of (0.5^3), (0.3^3), and (0.2^3). This is calculated in part ii.

Therefore the probability of exactly two types of outcomes of the 3 outcomes in 3 matches is every single possibility minus 3 types of outcomes, minus only 1 type of outcome.)

P(2types of outcomes) = 1- ((0.5^3)+(0.3^3)+(0.2^3)) - (0.5*0.3*0.2).
You may still get 1ECF mark if you got ii wrong.
Original post by sqr00t
There are 3 matches, each result are independent of each other.

If there were one of each outcome in the 3 matches, there would only be one possible combination of the 3 results. (1 Win, 1 Draw, 1 Lose) - 3 types of outcomes.

The other outcomes are a combination of exactly two types of outcomes (what we are trying to find) and only 1 type of outcome (WWW, or DDD, or LLL). This possibility is the sum of (0.5^3), (0.3^3), and (0.2^3). This is calculated in part ii.

Therefore the probability of exactly two types of outcomes of the 3 outcomes in 3 matches is every single possibility minus 3 types of outcomes, minus only 1 type of outcome.)

P(2types of outcomes) = 1- ((0.5^3)+(0.3^3)+(0.2^3)) - (0.5*0.3*0.2).
You may still get 1ECF mark if you got ii wrong.

The final bracket should be multiplied by 3! as there is different combinations within those 3.
Original post by ppe/gov&econ

i put that you can't be certain which percentage is higher because it's an estimate as the data are grouped.
idk if that's right though :s-smilie:
The grade boundaries will be lower this year definitely. It'll probably be around 57-59 for an A.
i put that you can't be certain which percentage is higher because it's an estimate as the data are grouped.
idk if that's right though :s-smilie:

That's what I put as well. Fingers crossed it's right.
Reply 508
Original post by WuMyster
So pissed at myself for these exams. Running out of time and dropping easy marks.

Had less than a minute to do the last question and so use P=2 instead of P<=2. Realised as soon as he said time. Also skipped drawing the histogram cause the scales were just stressful.

You're supposed to use P(X=2).
edit:
or not? hmmnn well ****
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Crozzer24
The final bracket should be multiplied by 3! as there is different combinations within those 3.

That's what I did, but I forgot to take away the final bracket (0.2*0.3*0.5*3!).
As its a 4 mark question, how many marks do you think I could've got?
Original post by JoshP97
Each section is always out of 36

These are the Marks of each question

How did you get a picture? surely someone would notice if you took it in the exam

Maybe not THAT low, they haven't been that low for S1 since 2007. I reckon it's likely that an A will be around 55/56 as there were some challenging questions this year.
Original post by sqr00t
You're supposed to use P(X=2).
edit:
or not? hmmnn well ****

No, you are supposed to use <=2
So was the IQR 3.9 or 4.0?
Original post by kennyboy69.5
So was the IQR 3.9 or 4.0?

i got 3.9
Original post by meimaths123
i got 3.9

same most people did but i think the answer is 4 because you had to find the mid of 27.7 and 27.9 instead of just 27.7 for the LQ. and for UQ mid of 31.6 and 32 instead of just 31.6
Reply 516
Original post by ppe/gov&econ

Well, the women's percentage is higher than mens, but I though in my head, I was uncertain as the sample sizes are different, but I wrote there are more types of shoes for mens than womens.
Original post by callcooldude
That's what I put as well. Fingers crossed it's right.

Yeahyeah, I put that too, looking back at the paper I think it's right.
Reply 518
Original post by sqr00t
you would get marks for stating values above Q3+1.5IQR and below Q1-1.5IQR are outliers. probably one. one more for explaining tops. you'd lose the subbing in marks and final answer marks (i think it was a 4 marker)

Seen this question before on past papers, if you correctly multiplied your version of the IQR and then stated that the outliers are 1.5IQR away from the quartiles (giving the boundaries) and stated whether there were any outliers based on your IQR then you get all 4 marks but lose 2 from the previous question for an incorrect IQR. They are very lenient on these questions.
Reply 519
Original post by sqr00t
Well, the women's percentage is higher than mens, but I though in my head, I was uncertain as the sample sizes are different, but I wrote there are more types of shoes for mens than womens.

The Women's percentage was definitely lower than the mens, 15.7<20.2

Quick Reply

Latest