The Student Room Group

Sixth Form or College?

Hey everyone!
So I'm just looking for a little help, currently there's a big debate in my head!! So, I'm 16 years old and still in secondary school, I'm currently doing my GCSEs and leaving school in a months time (even less!) So, I really want to be a midwife, I want to so much!! So when I went to my sixth form interview, I chose to do A level drama, English and physcology and Heath and Social Btec. Yet when I went, they told me I could not do English or physcology ( because they think I'm thick, basically ) and instead of them I could do BTEC science and BTEC business I HAVE NEVER DONE BUSSINESS AS A GCSE AND HAVE NO INTREST. so I refused that, and I'm not really keen on BTEC science. I have been so several colleges, and they all said yes - I would do level 3 Health and Social. And this one college, I fell in love with!! I was so happy there. I really don't know what to do; college would make me happier but it's one option which means I can't change job ideas if I go. Sixth form wouldn't be ideal, due to the options but I think it could benefit me more ( but as the science is BTEC id only have 1 Alevel in drama!!) :frown:(((((((((((((((( please help!!
Original post by ThatsSoAmy
Hey everyone!
So I'm just looking for a little help, currently there's a big debate in my head!! So, I'm 16 years old and still in secondary school, I'm currently doing my GCSEs and leaving school in a months time (even less!) So, I really want to be a midwife, I want to so much!! So when I went to my sixth form interview, I chose to do A level drama, English and physcology and Heath and Social Btec. Yet when I went, they told me I could not do English or physcology ( because they think I'm thick, basically ) and instead of them I could do BTEC science and BTEC business I HAVE NEVER DONE BUSSINESS AS A GCSE AND HAVE NO INTEREST. so I refused that, and I'm not really keen on BTEC science. I have been so several colleges, and they all said yes - I would do level 3 Health and Social. And this one college, I fell in love with!! I was so happy there. I really don't know what to do; college would make me happier but it's one option which means I can't change job ideas if I go. Sixth form wouldn't be ideal, due to the options but I think it could benefit me more ( but as the science is BTEC id only have 1 Alevel in drama!!) :frown:(((((((((((((((( please help!!

hey, hey, hey, I specifically logged in to answer your Q.

I know the pain you are going through right now, - last year I was in your position, I chose the 6th form i'd applied for which i thought were the right choices, like choice A college, yet here I am a year later regretting my pathetic decision. My advice for you would be: go find a college which offers the SPECIFIC courses you are looking for, don't let anybody hold you back, get awesome GCSE's - PROVE THEM WRONG - this is a very good motivation - my teachers were amazed I'd even got the grades I got :smile: (that showed them - not amazing by the TSR's standards but enough for the head of sixth form to be amazed :smile:

also further advice - concentrate on english & maths specifically, next concentrate on the subjects which are relevant for your a level subjects - 6th form may need a B/A gcse grades to do say English - they may be uncertain cos your target grade may be for example a C with you working at a current D - example. Also, some 6th forms for psychology may want B science, B maths, B english lang. to do psychology - make sure u recheck entry requirements for your subjects.(i also hope u spelt psychology correctly on your application form b/c that might be why they won't let u do english & psychology (no offence of course):smile: teachers can be so prejudice on target grades - THEY DON'T DEFINE YOU, don't let that become part of a negative self fulfilling prophecy but only on results day target grades are no longer relevant because on results day you'll have your actual grades

never do an a level or btec you don't want to do - this can lead you to fail, and be miserable for the sake of a college - bring your parents in to support your case and make a good fight for it, make sure you get good grades for your specific courses

the bit about health and social care confused me though - could you try ad explain a bit better? did you look @ other colleges which only provide that course? this will get you into uni though :smile:, also many offer work experience in health care which a levels don't, however you get some on the a level health and social care one as well, cos you'll do something like health promotion & work experience as well as coursework & an exam :biggrin:

oh btw - sixth forms always have courses like `travel & tourism` (not bad of course) and so called softer a level & btec subjects b/c it makes their college look good - these days colleges and 6th forms only care about league tables and funding - REMEMBER THIS!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bizzy_penguin
hey, hey, hey, I specifically logged in to answer your Q.

I know the pain you are going through right now, - last year I was in your position, I chose the 6th form i'd applied for which i thought were the right choices, like choice A college, yet here I am a year later regretting my pathetic decision. My advice for you would be: go find a college which offers the SPECIFIC courses you are looking for, don't let anybody hold you back, get awesome GCSE's - PROVE THEM WRONG - this is a very good motivation - my teachers were amazed I'd even got the grades I got :smile: (that showed them - not amazing by the TSR's standards but enough for the head of sixth form to be amazed :smile:

also further advice - concentrate on english & maths specifically, next concentrate on the subjects which are relevant for your a level subjects - 6th form may need a B/A gcse grades to do say English - they may be uncertain cos your target grade may be for example a C with you working at a current D - example. Also, some 6th forms for psychology may want B science, B maths, B english lang. to do psychology - make sure u recheck entry requirements for your subjects.(i also hope u spelt psychology correctly on your application form b/c that might be why they won't let u do english & psychology (no offence of course):smile: teachers can be so prejudice on target grades - THEY DON'T DEFINE YOU, don't let that become part of a negative self fulfilling prophecy but only on results day target grades are no longer relevant because on results day you'll have your actual grades

never do an a level or btec you don't want to do - this can lead you to fail, and be miserable for the sake of a college - bring your parents in to support your case and make a good fight for it, make sure you get good grades for your specific courses

the bit about health and social care confused me though - could you try ad explain a bit better? did you look @ other colleges which only provide that course? this will get you into uni though :smile:, also many offer work experience in health care which a levels don't, however you get some on the a level health and social care one as well, cos you'll do something like health promotion & work experience as well as coursework & an exam :biggrin:

oh btw - sixth forms always have courses like `travel & tourism` (not bad of course) and so called softer a level & btec subjects b/c it makes their college look good - these days colleges and 6th forms only care about league tables and funding - REMEMBER THIS!!!

Hey, thank you so much for the advice. sorry for not replying sooner, I've been no the middle of exams!! Yes, I have tried other colleges but this one I really loved!! I've not decided to go college not sixth form due to I was pulled out ofEnglish class today by a teacher to be told they are no longer runing Btec science and the replacement is BTEC media or Btec Bussiness!! But again thanks so much!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest