The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by YAY GCSE
Am i missing something because i dont remember writing about a glass base...

Please don't tell me I misread the question...it was the last one..
Original post by milolj
The reason why it's not 22 is because 22 was the temperature change meaning you had to take it away 100 which gives you 78

would you still gwet 1 mark for getting 22??
Original post by Hahahqjaj
You know the question about the properties of microwave and infrared. Is there any chance of getting a mark for saying Same wavelength Same frequency Idk why I put that when I new the other answer 😒Thanks

Sameee I put that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks was the vacuum question for how it reduced the rate of energy transfer?
For a disadvantage of nuclear doesn't it have a long start up time?
For the control variable one, I put type of liquid..what that get a mark!?
Reply 206
Original post by PrinceKian
I think it was 6.4W

Do you remember how you got that answer?
feeing much more positive after reading that :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
It's there :yay:

sent u the bio one then :biggrin:
Thanks! For question 14 I put 'type of liquid' as the control variable..do you think this would get a mark?!
Original post by eloisenewton_
For the control variable one, I put type of liquid..what that get a mark!?

No, it said that it was testing the DIFFERENT liquids.
For one of the questions i put 0.048 is that right ?
Original post by Imas1501
Slower the rate of evaporation, because the rate of evaporation decreases when reducing the surface area because less particles are exposed.

And A was correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a similarity between all liquids and the rate of temperature decreasing, I wrote that all liquids' temperatures decreased at a rate of at least 0.01 C/s over the 200 seconds. (I did the calculation and that was the lowest speed out of all the liquids)

And for that second part, I wrote that reducing the liquid didn't evaporate as fast because of it's boiling point. And after that I wrote that if the volume of liquid is less the rate of evaporation would be faste.

Are those correct?
Original post by ihatehannah
1. Frequency ( 1)

2. Echoes (1)

3. spread out, same as (2)

b) vibrations are parallel to the direction of energy transfer (2)

4. Expensive as National Grid is a long distance away from rural areas (1)

4b) ADVANTAGES
constant supply, little variation in output
£30k cheaper than wind turbine
renewable resource
doesn't produce as much noise as wind
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
could ruin ecosystem by preventing free movement of fish
May need maintenance unlike wind
Lower power output - 8W compared to 10W

Wind - ADVANTAGES
higher average output
Needs little maintenance
renewable resource
Easily expanded
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
Eyesore
noise pollution
Wind speeds vary, meaning there could be times of under- or oversupply
Costs 50k, 30k more than HEP (6)

5. inefficient as less or little energy used to heat food as heat is lost as infrared radiation to the surroundings(2)

uses of infrared(1) : remote controls, optical fibres

uses of microwaves(1): mobile phones, satellites

b) properties of microwaves and infra red radiation (2): can diffract, can refract, travel same speed in vaccuum, both transverse waves, can be reflected transverse• same speed (through air)• can be reflected• can be refracted• can be diffracted• can be absorbed• transfer energy• can travel through a vacuum• can be polarised• show interference

calculation questions, 340 m/s for first one (2) then 78 degrees(3) , then 6.4 watts(2) then 0.07 degrees/s (2) efficiency question was 0.48 W (2)

6. Fins increase surface area and black matt a are good absorbers of heat (2)

7. cosmic microwave background radiation (1)

b) provides evidence for the big bang theory (1)

10. They keep costs as low as possible as efficiency does not increase as much but the cost goes up rapidly , ( give example and data figures to secure the marks) (2)

11. why france will still use nuclear power(2) : cost of electricity is cheaper(1) and produces much more electricity(1) , produces no greenhouse gases like co2(1)

12. Disadvantages of nuclear power stations(2): raw materials are non- renewable, high decommissioning costs, produces radioactive waste.

13. factors that affect rate of energy transfer of mug(2): room temperature, surface area , how shiny it is( not sure about this one) and colour of the mug

b) particles gain kinetic energy and collide more frequently, passing on their extra kinetic energy to other particles .(2)

c) how is a convection current formed in the mug(4): liquid at the bottom is heated and particles gain kinetic energy and move away from each other, this makes the liquid less dense , causing it to rise and displace the denser colder liquid at the top , the denser particles then fall and is heated again.

14) control variable for the investigation measuring rate of evaporation (1) : same beaker or same type of beaker, same position in the room., same thermometer .

b) why is the data logger better(2): more accurate (1) , easier to read(1) , more precise (1)

15 relationship of the graph comparing 3 types of beakers and their rate of evaporation(1): as time increases, rate of evaporation decreases.

b) Beaker A(1) gradient of the line is the lowest and the final temperature is the highest of em all

c) If investigation was repeated with lower volume , what effect would it have(1) : rate of evaporation will be higher (1)

Why evaporation causes temperature to decrease (3): particles with enough kinetic energy and travelling in the right direction will escape the liquid and evaporate and take their kinetic energy with them , which means average kinetic energy of particles in liquid is lower and thus temperature is lower.

16) why a vacuum reduces energy transfer (2) : no particles so stops energy transfer by conduction , convection and radiation

for the question on the uses of microwaves in communication I wrote satellite TV instead of just satellites - do you think this would get the mark?
Original post by miapeters
for the question on the uses of microwaves in communication I wrote satellite TV instead of just satellites - do you think this would get the mark?

yup
Original post by LaliG
Do you remember how you got that answer?

Well the energy was 46,200 and the time was two hours, and you had to convert that to seconds, so it ended up being 46,200/7200 which equals 6.4
Reply 216
No the liquid was the dependent variable
Original post by ihatehannah
yup

thanks
Reply 218
Original post by PrinceKian
Well the energy was 46,200 and the time was two hours, and you had to convert that to seconds, so it ended up being 46,200/7200 which equals 6.4

Ahhh, right thank you :smile:
What was the question where the answer was 340m/s?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending