The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B1,2,3 25/05/2016 unofficial markscheme

Please comment if you think these are wrong/you know some questions I missed etc.

1. a) A=iris, controls the amount of light entering the eye
B=retina, where the image is focused, detects the light rays [2]

b) cornea, lens [2]

c) They each receive different alleles from the parents so their phenotypes are different from having different recessive/dominant alleles [possibly 2]

d) The 2 eyes see images which overlap and the brain compares the two to judge distance - seeing how similar/different the images are [2]

Total: 8

2. a) auxins [1]

b) Charlotte - the roots are growing towards gravity so are positvely geotrophic [2]

Total: 3

3. a) 33g [1]

b) She also needs protein for the growing foetus - her EAR would increase [1]

c) f f (mother) F f (father) = 50% [2]

d) t t (mother) T t (father) = 50% [2]

Total: 6

4. a) stimulant because increasing the amount of neurotransmitters [2]

b) 6 mark - describe the graph and explain why a placebo is used eg reduces psychological effects, fairer test, accurately see if the drug has any effect [6]

5. a) The tigers have a lack of habitats so fewer reliable food sources, possible mating partners etc. [3]

b) As the numbers of predator increase, the numbers of prey decrease. There is cyclical fluctuation - the predators and prey have similar graphs but a time difference. [2]

Total: 5

6. a) Phylum, Order, Genus [2]

b) They evolve with different gene pools and eventually their DNA becomes so different they are considered different species [2]

Total: 4

7. a) they compete with other organisms eg. bees for the nectar, as well as compete with each other (interspecific/intraspecific competition) [1]

b) Their habitat and role in that habitat - they both play the same role of feeding on the nectar in their habitat [1]

c) They have evolved to feed from oak trees instead of bushes so have different mouth parts to allow them to do this [1]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

c) The gradient of the line - there will probably be a range for this as the graph was a little ambiguous so 0.5-0.7/80 = 0.00625-0.00875 [2]

d) With a hugely increasing population, it will become harder to think about the future when developing because there will be more people now to consider or something like that [2]

Total:

9. The controversial 6 mark - 2 or 5%? (I put 2). The energy is lost by egestion, excretion and respiration. There is not enough energy left for another trophic level because the efficiency is so low - most of the energy at each stage is used for things other than growth. [6]

10. a) D because it has a thicker wall to allow for higher pressure blood to travel to the body and is the mirror image of a normal heart [2]

b) I'm not sure [how is the transplant surgery different]- I put the vessels eg. vena cava would be on the opposite side to normal [2]

c) 6300 [1]

d) ad: the doctors need to know if someone has it to carry out treatments, quite a few people are affected by it,

dis: not that many people are affected by it, could be expensive, could cause harm to the foetus, parents may disagree [2]

Total: 7

11. a) 6 marks, advantages and disadvantages of Aspen wood cloning:
ads: supported structure
dis: a genetic illness could affect all organisms, all are male so cannot reproduce with a female [6]

b) Plant cells continue to have the ability to differentiate (become other cells) as the plant ages, whereas animal cells lose this ability [1]

c) ads: more accurate
dis: requires killing the organism, wet mass fluctuates is an alternative [2]

Total: 9

12. a) the amount of oxygen needed to oxidise the amount of lactic acid which has built up [1]

b) The amount of oxygen which is needed will be the same as the amount taken in - the oxygen taken in is needed to replace the oxygen debt [1]

c) Lactic acid. It steeply increases during exercise because of anaerobic respiration and then gradually decreases after when it's broken down by the liver, until none is left. [2]

13. a) The number x 3 because there are 3 bases coded for 1 amino acid [1]

b) The amino acids are different because the genes coding for these proteins each have a different order of bases [1]

c) The DNA unzips, allowing free nucleotides to attach to each strand and form 2 new DNA molecules. A-T and C-G. [3]

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks so much!!!
Thanks what a great scheme! Only thing is the drug trial wasn't blind as in that case the test subjects aren't told what they're getting.
Thank you
Reply 4
What do you think the grade boundary will be to get an A*?
Original post by Naomi265
Please comment if you think these are wrong/you know some questions I missed etc.

b) cornea, lens [2]

c) They each receive different alleles from the parents so their phenotypes are different from having different recessive/dominant alleles [possibly 2]

d) The 2 eyes see images which overlap and the brain compares the two to judge distance - seeing how similar/different the images are [2]

2. a) auxins [1]

b) Charlotte - the roots are growing towards gravity so are positvely geotrophic [2]

3. a) 33g [1]

a) f f (mother) F f (father) = 50% [2]

b) f f (mother) F f (father) = 50% [2]

b) 6 mark - describe the graph and explain why a blind trial is used eg reduces psychological effects, fairer test, accurately see if the drug has any effect [6]

5. a) The tigers have a lack of habitats so fewer reliable food sources, possible mating partners etc. [3]

b) As the numbers of predator increase, the numbers of prey decrease. There is cyclical fluctuation - the predators and prey have similar graphs but a time difference. [2]

6. a) Phylum, Order, Genus [3]

b) They evolve with different gene pools and eventually their DNA becomes so different they are considered different species [2]

7. a) they compete with other organisms eg. bees for the nectar [1]

b) Their habitat and role in that habitat - they both play the same role of feeding on the nectar in their habitat [1]

c) They have evolved to feed from oak trees instead of bushes so have different mouth parts to allow them to do this [1]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

c) The gradient of the line - there will probably be a range for this as the graph was a little ambiguous so 0.5-0.7/80 = 0.00625-0.00875 [2]

d) With a hugely increasing population, it will become harder to think about the future when developing because there will be more people now to consider or something like that [2]

Total:

9. The controversial 6 mark - 2 or 5%? (I put 2). The energy is lost by egestion, excretion and respiration. There is not enough energy left for another trophic level because the efficiency is so low - most of the energy at each stage is used for things other than growth. [6]

10. a) D because it has a thicker wall to allow for higher pressure blood to travel to the body and is the mirror image of a normal heart [2]

b) I'm not sure [how is the transplant surgery different]- I put the vessels eg. vena cava would be on the opposite side to normal [2]

c) 6300 [1]

d) ad: the doctors need to know if someone has it to carry out treatments, quite a few people are affected by it,

dis: not that many people are affected by it, could be expensive, could cause harm to the foetus, parents may disagree [2]

ads: every organism is genetically identical so know characteristics, supported structure
dis: a genetic illness could affect all organisms, all are male so cannot reproduce with a female [6]

b)

dis: requires killing the organism [2]

Total:

12. a) the amount of oxygen needed to oxidise the amount of lactic acid which has built up [1]

b) The amount of oxygen which is needed will be the same as the amount taken in - the oxygen taken in is needed to replace the oxygen debt [1]

c) Lactic acid. It steeply increases during exercise because of anaerobic respiration and then gradually decreases after when it's broken down by the liver, until none is left. [2]

b)

c) The DNA unzips, allowing free nucleotides to attach to each strand and form 2 new DNA molecules. A-T and C-G. [2]

Thank you!
I think you missed out some questions on sustainable development at the end and why it would be difficult to carry it out with such a big population :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by onenation
Thanks what a great scheme! Only thing is the drug trial wasn't blind as in that case the test subjects aren't told what they're getting.

Okay, will update:smile:
Reply 7
The last question was worth 3 marks not 2 x
Reply 8
Original post by AA11AAA
What do you think the grade boundary will be to get an A*?

I have no idea tbh, some people I have talked to found the paper hard and some really easy. It's normally around 50-55 so probably somewhere around there.

b) cornea, lens [2]

2. a) auxins [1]

3. a) 33g [1]

b) 6 mark - describe the graph and explain why a placebo is used eg reduces psychological effects, fairer test, accurately see if the drug has any effect [6]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

Total:

c) 6300 [1]

ads: every organism is genetically identical so know characteristics, supported structure

b)

Total:

b)

c) The DNA unzips, allowing free nucleotides to attach to each strand and form 2 new DNA molecules. A-T and C-G. [3]

thank you!! :smile:
Reply 10
Cheers for this. Relieved me tbh

b) cornea, lens [2]

2. a) auxins [1]

3. a) 33g [1]

8. a) 1940-1980 [1]

b)

Total:

c) 6300 [1]

b)

Total:

b)

11b: Why is it easier to clone plants than animals
A: Because plants can reproduce asexually?
Original post by OllieBiggs

I put because plant cells retain the ability to differentiate ? And I don't think it was question 11 it was much earlier on ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13

I put because plants can keep the ability for their cells to differentiate whereas animals lose it quite early on??
Reply 14

Yess, thank you. However I think it's to do with it being more ethical and raising fewer moral questions?

I think I wrote something like plants retain the ability to differentiate, whereas animals lose this at a young age.
Reply 16
Would you still get the full marks if you say that the plant can differentiate
Original post by GCShElpme
I think I wrote something like plants retain the ability to differentiate, whereas animals lose this at a young age.
Original post by GCShElpme

Oh fair enough
Reply 18
how many marks was 11b?
Original post by AA11AAA
Would you still get the full marks if you say that the plant can differentiate

I think you'd have to specify that animal cells lose this in order to get full marks- but you might get one! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending