The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics C2- 25th May 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neil20143
What were the binomial questions and the marks for each one again? Was it 2 marks for finding k and A and then another 2 for finding B?

A) First part (working out the binomial expansion using the formula) = 4 marks
B) Working out A = 1 mark
C) Working out K = 2 marks
D) Working out B = 2 marks
For 7b when u had to integrate the curve in part a and then get area between it and X line, where did it cross the X axis? Can't remember if I got this wrong
Reply 542
Original post by elishx__h
I don't think you'll lose a mark because despite providing two answers, they're technically the same value, just in a different format I guess. You wrote the radians answer, so I personally think you'll be alright, but I may be wrong:colondollar:

Do you reckon 67 will be enough for an A? XD
Reply 543
Original post by Hey111
Do you reckon 67 will be enough for an A? XD

I think I got that too, and yeah its more than enough. Maybe 88/90- UMS if boundaries are low.
How did you guys work out A? I swear I did it right but came out with the wrong answer?!
Reply 545
How did you guys work out A? I swear I did it right but came out with the wrong answer?!

An A is usually 85% of the raw marks on average. If you got questions 1->8 perfectly right and half of Question 9's marks right, you've probably got an A safely in the bag. If not, then it's all down to luck.
Original post by tarek888
hey guys there was only 9 questions yes? plz answer

Yes there was, aha dont panic!
Original post by Hey111
An A is usually 85% of the raw marks on average. If you got questions 1->8 perfectly right and half of Question 9's marks right, you've probably got an A safely in the bag. If not, then it's all down to luck.

Sorry I was asking how you worked out K for binomials! I'm not sure why I wrote A instead :tongue:
After that exam I feel so depressed. I've done bad for c1, and now bad for c2 as well. And Im so worried I'm going to be predicted very low for Maths at A2, which will completely screw up my chances of getting into a good university. Im just Absolutely devastated.

Does anyone know how much I'd need to get in S1 if I got a high C in c1 and c2, to get a B overall at maths as level?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Esekanayo_
After that exam I feel so depressed. I've done bad for c1, and now bad for c2 as well. And Im so worried I'm going to be predicted very low for Maths at A2, which will completely screw up my chances of getting into a good university. Im just Absolutely devastated.

Does anyone know how much I'd need to get in S1 if I got a high C in c1 and c2, to get a B overall at maths as level?

Thanks in advance

I'm in the same boat as you. I think I'll just convince my teachers that I can get an A* next year because they originally thought I would. It depends what you got on C1 and C2 but Stats generally is either a love it or hate it paper. I'd say really concentrate and normal distribution and probability.
Reply 550
I'm in the same boat as you. I think I'll just convince my teachers that I can get an A* next year because they originally thought I would. It depends what you got on C1 and C2 but Stats generally is either a love it or hate it paper. I'd say really concentrate and normal distribution and probability.

There's no point in getting upset about it because what's done is done. Stress during, and after exams only makes your overall performance worse. If you did really well in one exam and awful in the others, then it's still a standalone achievement. Don't focus on compensating for marks in your next Maths exam because you might put more pressure on yourself, and end up doing worse as a result. Also, you will always do your best anyway, and you can't do more than that.

You may also want to consider doing Further Maths A Level this September, if you plan on studying a science/mathematical subject at uni as the Torys are changing A Levels for the worse. If your college refuse to let you do it, you can always do it privately.
Reply 551
Original post by elishx__h
Yes of course! don't worry haha, you're in a good position :smile:

Aww thanks! :smile:
I am :/
Original post by Hey111
There's no point in getting upset about it because what's done is done. Stress during, and after exams only makes your overall performance worse. If you did really well in one exam and awful in the others, then it's still a standalone achievement. Don't focus on compensating for marks in your next Maths exam because you might put more pressure on yourself, and end up doing worse as a result. Also, you will always do your best anyway, and you can't do more than that.

You may also want to consider doing Further Maths A Level this September, if you plan on studying a science/mathematical subject at uni as the Torys are changing A Levels for the worse. If your college refuse to let you do it, you can always do it privately.

Sorry? We were on about making up for our scores in statistics? I don't see where dwelling and being upset over C2 came from?
Reply 554
Sorry? We were on about making up for our scores in statistics? I don't see where dwelling and being upset over C2 came from?

Must have responded to the wrong post. Oh well.
Reply 555
Sorry I was asking how you worked out K for binomials! I'm not sure why I wrote A instead :tongue:

You had to multiply each term of your expansion by the function of K. You then had to collect and factorise powers of x, then equate coefficients with the answer they gave. I believe that K was 7/2.
could someone go through the log question for me? it was log3(3b+1)-log3(a-2)=-1
Log3(3b+1)-log3(a-2)=log3(1/3)
Log3(3b+1/a-2)=log3(1/3)
3b+1/a-2=1/3
3b+1=(a-2)/3
3b=((a-2)/3)-1
b=((a-2)/9) - 1/3
Think that's right
Reply 559
SOMEONE HELP FOR THE LOGS PART B

I SEPARATED THE 2^2X+5 TO (2^X)2+5 -7(2^X) AND MADE Y=2^X

FROM THERE I GOT Y^7-7y=0 AND SOLVED FROM THERE WILL I LOSE ALL MARKS????

Quick Reply