The Student Room Group

C2 Maths AS aqa 2016 (unofficial mark scheme new)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Based on the C1 and C2 paper, could someone give an estimate for the marks required in each for a B?

I was thinking around 60 in the C1 and 57 in the C2?
Original post by Adam998
What do you mean mate?, thank you very much appreciate it :smile:

Ah sorry if I was unclear: When I say the A1 mark I mean the accuracy mark (Hence A1)

You got the critical part of the question right so you would've gotten the other three marks as only your end answer of -(5/2) was incorrect

I believe the other three marks is made up for M2, B1 [M2 means 2 marks for method so using appropriate log laws, B1 means 1 mark for using appropriate methods *AND* maintaining accuracy think of a B1 mark as an M&A mark rolled into one.

I hope that clarifies it & no worries you deserve it :-)
Original post by voltz
Based on the C1 and C2 paper, could someone give an estimate for the marks required in each for a B?

I was thinking around 60 in the C1 and 57 in the C2?

Unsure about C1 but a mark of 57 for C2 would be on the cusp of an A.

For 2014 it was 55 for an A and in 2015 it was 58 I think this year's paper was easier than last years so I reckon an A is around 59/60 marks

But then again I found 2014 to be far easier than the 2015 but according to the grade boundaries the cohort of students for that year obviously found it harder.

Either way 57 for C2 is a cracking score!
Original post by CirclesAreRound
Ah sorry if I was unclear: When I say the A1 mark I mean the accuracy mark (Hence A1)

You got the critical part of the question right so you would've gotten the other three marks as only your end answer of -(5/2) was incorrect

I believe the other three marks is made up for M2, B1 [M2 means 2 marks for method so using appropriate log laws, B1 means 1 mark for using appropriate methods *AND* maintaining accuracy think of a B1 mark as an M&A mark rolled into one.

I hope that clarifies it & no worries you deserve it :-)

Thanks very much, did you sit the paper? How did you find it, also looking for past C2 Grade Boundaries, an A is sitting around 56/57 on average, and they were easy tbh, I'd genuinely be surprised if the boundaries are higher than 60.
Reply 204
Unsure about C1 but a mark of 57 for C2 would be on the cusp of an A.

For 2014 it was 55 for an A and in 2015 it was 58 I think this year's paper was easier than last years so I reckon an A is around 59/60 marks

But then again I found 2014 to be far easier than the 2015 but according to the grade boundaries the cohort of students for that year obviously found it harder.

Either way 57 for C2 is a cracking score!

Do you reckon it would be higher than 60 for the C1? I did appalling on that but I have no idea how others found it
Reply 205
For the Tan question I got a positive 5/4 as an answer rather than negative - can anyone remember why it was negative?
Original post by Adam998
Thanks very much, did you sit the paper? How did you find it, also looking for past C2 Grade Boundaries, an A is sitting around 56/57 on average, and they were easy tbh, I'd genuinely be surprised if the boundaries are higher than 60.

I did sit the paper today and I found it to be the most enjoyable C2 paper I've done. But I feel the need to add a little disclaimer that I'm a resit student as I got a C in C2 last year

I got an A overall at AS (A in C1 & A in M1 basically saved my bacon) but my C2 was shockingly poor so I retook today. I'm optimistic about my score, hoping for beyond 90 UMS but we shall see

Definitely agree with you there, anything beyond 60 would be weird. The general mark range for an A is the about the mid/high 50's and I don't think this year will be any different
Original post by voltz
Do you reckon it would be higher than 60 for the C1? I did appalling on that but I have no idea how others found it

Generally having a quick look at previous years unfortunately an A grade is usually above 62 marks which is understandly high.

If you feel you did badly on C1 (But remember you never actually know) you need to crush your upcoming applied module so D1/S1/M1 and you could still get an A overall

But I really do mean crush. Last year I got 100UMS for C1, 97UMS for M1 and 68UMS for C2 which pushed me over an A. So it is possible but you need to fight for it! All the best!
Absolutely agree with Bosssman it was indeed:

4x^2 20x + 25 =0

Formed from

4x^2 + 36x + 45 = 56x + 20

(Then rearranged to get the above)

I got this aswell but it doesn't give you only one solution (the discriminant >0)?

Edit: no it doesn't I'm stupid i got the right answer but just messed up at the end ffs
I did sit the paper today and I found it to be the most enjoyable C2 paper I've done. But I feel the need to add a little disclaimer that I'm a resit student as I got a C in C2 last year

I got an A overall at AS (A in C1 & A in M1 basically saved my bacon) but my C2 was shockingly poor so I retook today. I'm optimistic about my score, hoping for beyond 90 UMS but we shall see

Definitely agree with you there, anything beyond 60 would be weird. The general mark range for an A is the about the mid/high 50's and I don't think this year will be any different

Agreed, taking M1 as well, that's in like a months time, any advice for it?
Original post by ia1999
For the Tan question I got a positive 5/4 as an answer rather than negative - can anyone remember why it was negative?

The question was

4sinθ + 5cosθ = 0

Dividing throughout by cosθ yielded:

4tanθ + 5 = 0

Rearranging gives 4tanθ = –5

So overall tanθ = –(5/4)
Reply 211
Generally having a quick look at previous years unfortunately an A grade is usually above 62 marks which is understandly high.

If you feel you did badly on C1 (But remember you never actually know) you need to crush your upcoming applied module so D1/S1/M1 and you could still get an A overall

But I really do mean crush. Last year I got 100UMS for C1, 97UMS for M1 and 68UMS for C2 which pushed me over an A. So it is possible but you need to fight for it! All the best!

Any predictions for a B grade, that is what I was thinking it maybe 60 for?
Think I've got 68 or 69 /75 on this, any idea how many UMS that would approximately be??

Thanks
Can some one please tell me Q1a
Original post by Bosssman
It was 4x^2 - 20x + 25 = 0

+1 This is what I got; I just equated logs and then got rid of them, rearranged to get that which ended up becoming (2x-5)(2x-5)=0 so x=5/2, I think the only reason I didn't do b^2-4ac for that is because its usually a C1 thing; and besides showing it was only one root means it had been proved.
Original post by Adam998
Agreed, taking M1 as well, that's in like a months time, any advice for it?

This might be the most useless advice you've ever heard but *understand* the concepts in M1, don't memorise just *how* to do question. You need a solid grasp on the application of the question, say for example you're presented with a pulleys question. There are always certain ones that come up say when both forces act downwards but understanding gets you the marks in unfamiliar situations.

In the 2015 paper it was a scenario I'd never seen before [I won't spoil the past paper for you] and if I didn't understand what was really happening then it would have been literal 0 marks for me.

Sorry if that wasn't helpful it was the best I could explain
Original post by voltz
Any predictions for a B grade, that is what I was thinking it maybe 60 for?

Ah my bad! If you're looking for a B grade then a mark of 60 sends you nicely above the boundary, actually nearing the A!

For a B you usually need 56/57 so you're high and dry!
Original post by voltz

Saw you on the breadth in physics thread too; catch seeing you all over the place, in regards to the C1; I doubt it would be above 60; and if it was, very low maybe 61/62 max. I got the answers correct but I had to check my answers sooooo many times. This being for an A, a B is usually around 8 marks lower than this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amir123459876
what will be 90 ums???

Somewhere around 66-68
This might be the most useless advice you've ever heard but *understand* the concepts in M1, don't memorise just *how* to do question. You need a solid grasp on the application of the question, say for example you're presented with a pulleys question. There are always certain ones that come up say when both forces act downwards but understanding gets you the marks in unfamiliar situations.

In the 2015 paper it was a scenario I'd never seen before [I won't spoil the past paper for you] and if I didn't understand what was really happening then it would have been literal 0 marks for me.

Sorry if that wasn't helpful it was the best I could explain

Very well said, I totally agree that this is one of the best ways to do well in all Maths exams! Then, if they throw something at you that you have never seen before, you may be able to interpret the numbers better, and figure out the solution!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending