The Student Room Group

Wjec c2 may 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elliottmanwaring
What is the usual Raw Mark for an A? What will it be on today's paper because I know my mark from that mark scheme just wanna know roughly the grade boundaries.

That's the boundaries from 07 onwards
Original post by burninginneon
Did anyone actually get any answers for the chord question?

This is what was going on in that question.

Capture.PNG
Reply 122
After looking at that mark scheme I feel okay but I think the grade boundaries are going to be normal-high 😕
Original post by Ell01
After looking at that mark scheme I feel okay but I think the grade boundaries are going to be normal-high 😕

The facility factor of the common chord question and maybe the geometric series and the logs question (part c) will be too low for the boundaries to be that high I believe.

Facility factor is a measure of accessibility of the question btw.

If there is too much 'inaccessibility' then boundaries are lowered. I'd say that this paper was much less 'accessible' than the rest of the papers, though I believe i'm sitting at around 70/75.

With that said, the boundaries are likely to be the same as last year, maybe a mark or two higher, in my opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PedanticStudent
This is what was going on in that question.

Capture.PNG

Yeah, that's just what I assumed and I got the same answer as the one the worked solutions you posted
I got a minimum of 62 that will definitely be an a right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emskibump
I got a minimum of 62 that will definitely be an a right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you got 62 thats definitely an A
Original post by Jack1066
If you got 62 thats definitely an A

That's great thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are we looking forward to mechanics? Any predictions?

I've got enough time to do every paper from 2005 to 2015 between now and the exam, as I've only got ICT and the M1 remaining.
I've got a hunch that because M1 is so far away from all the other exams, it will be really difficult?

I've got enough time to do every paper from 2005 to 2015 between now and the exam, as I've only got ICT and the M1 remaining.
I've got a hunch that because M1 is so far away from all the other exams, it will be really difficult?

Are you a Y12? I thought M1 was in Y13, then S1 for the Y12s.
Most people sitting M1 are in Y13, so are sitting C3 and C4 as well, and C4 is 2 days away from M1 IIRC, so hopefully its a relaxed exam. Should be an easy 90+ UMS if it goes according to plan.

I think they'll do the slope inclined at angle alpha, but with 2 objects instead of 1, and trying to find the tension in the towbar etc.

I reckon this paper will have no diagrams and make us rely on our visualisation skills and understanding more.
Are you a Y12? I thought M1 was in Y13, then S1 for the Y12s.
Most people sitting M1 are in Y13, so are sitting C3 and C4 as well, and C4 is 2 days away from M1 IIRC, so hopefully its a relaxed exam. Should be an easy 90+ UMS if it goes according to plan.

I think they'll do the slope inclined at angle alpha, but with 2 objects instead of 1, and trying to find the tension in the towbar etc.

I reckon this paper will have no diagrams and make us rely on our visualisation skills and understanding more.

No, our school is entering us for mechanics in year 12 as this is more difficult than statistics. They also wanted to trial a new teacher who is supposed to have an engineering degree with a sixth form class and us poor sods are the guinea pigs. Luckily I spent the whole year self teaching M1 as he is a **** teacher. Most of my class are unlikely to do well as result.

What do you think of S1, would you agree that it is easier than M1?
No, our school is entering us for mechanics in year 12 as this is more difficult than statistics. They also wanted to trial a new teacher who is supposed to have an engineering degree with a sixth form class and us poor sods are the guinea pigs. Luckily I spent the whole year self teaching M1 as he is a **** teacher. Most of my class are unlikely to do well as result.

ye butty

I sat M1 last year in Year 11 and got a D, seriously did not realise how difficult A-levels were compared to GCSEs back then, so hopefully my resit will be better and there's a couple of days between that and C4 which is good :biggrin:
Original post by MorganHill
ye butty

fantastic news mogwi
fantastic news mogwi

jokes on you, I'm in year 12 doing M1 as well
but yeah I've been told that S1 is considered the AS level of the two which is why it's a lot earlier than M1

I got an A in S1 (83 UMS), and that was lower than what I was expecting. I would say that I found S1 easier. I did have good teachers for both M1 and S1 however. With M1 having a good teacher makes everything so much easier to understand.

I would prefer S1 in Y12 as it contains very different maths to what you find in C3 and C4, so its nice to get it out of the way so you aren't distracted by completely different concepts.

I found S1 easier but I think I'm gonna do better in the actual exam for M1
Reply 136
2Sin + 4cos = -7

that isn't possible as the minimum value of sin and cos is -1, so the least value it could be would be 2(-1) + 4(-1), which equals -6

I said min. value of cos and sin are -1, and when sin x is positive, cos x is negative (so you get min. value of -2 instead of -6) and so it's impossible to get -7 for any value of x.
I also got 6.7cm, almost 100% sure it's correct
Original post by Willt412
I also got 6.7cm, almost 100% sure it's correct

It is dont worry. My teacher and someone with a PhD has confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing c3&4:biggrin:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending