The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

What do you think Is likely to come up? I think It is much harder than the old spec.

Do you think the grade boundaries will be low?

Scroll to see replies

i hope the grade boundaries are lot, there is really a-lot of content, they got a chunck from A2 and threw it into AS
Original post by runningcat
i hope the grade boundaries are lot, there is really a-lot of content, they got a chunck from A2 and threw it into AS

Really? Which parts?
I'm really not looking forward to this, there's so much to learn and I feel like I know none of it
It's annoying that the exams aren't split into unit 1 and 2 either
Original post by champ_mc99
Really? Which parts?

e.g. Gene mutations, protein synthesis, ATP the genetic code
Original post by frandutton
I'm really not looking forward to this, there's so much to learn and I feel like I know none of it
It's annoying that the exams aren't split into unit 1 and 2 either

I would have preferred that. I know how you feel
Reply 6
Literally learning chapter 6 and 7 today.. It's so long but I've almost got the hang of it. There's so much to learn so I just feel like I always forget the previous stuff whenever I learn something new. I have a feeling there's going to be a bit of application questions about either gas exchange or the cardiac cycle.
What ****ed me over in the specimen papers we've had for the new specification was how strict the mark scheme was! I literally know the majority of the content but I just don't write answers in the way they want me to 😡 It's so annoying. I've basically just accepted that I'm getting a U in these exams no matter what the paper or the grade boundaries are🙄
Reply 8
The specimens tend to be harder than the real exam
Guys I have a question about non-competitive inhibitors
If you increase the concentration of non-competitive inhibitors then would this affect the rate of reaction?
I think it does because- these bind to enzyme at a site other than the active site and when attached change the shape in a way that the substrate cannot bind to it. therefore less enzme/substrate complexes formed?

Is this reasoning right?? Thank uuu
Original post by Wisteria_xo
Guys I have a question about non-competitive inhibitors
If you increase the concentration of non-competitive inhibitors then would this affect the rate of reaction?
I think it does because- these bind to enzyme at a site other than the active site and when attached change the shape in a way that the substrate cannot bind to it. therefore less enzme/substrate complexes formed?

Is this reasoning right?? Thank uuu

You're right. It's also a good note to make that substrate concentration won't affect the rate in this case.
Original post by boriapple
You're right. It's also a good note to make that substrate concentration won't affect the rate in this case.

Thank you :smile:
are there practical questions in tomorrow's exam?
Original post by moshe015
are there practical questions in tomorrow's exam?

Yh I think at least at 6 marks will be on experiments.
The heart hasn't come up yet on the specimens, nor has digestion.
In paper 1 there'll be an approximate weighting as the following:
47-51% of AO1
35-39% of AO2
13-17% of AO3

where AO1 is knowledge and understanding (textbook stuff), AO2 is applying scientific knowledge and AO3 is analysing and interpreting info and practical procedures

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402/scheme-of-assessment
Anyone know of anywhere to get new spec questions other than specimen papers or any handy websites for revision?
Its a new spec so there is only specimen papers to revise from. Thats why the grade boundaries will probably be lower this year as nobody knows what to expect.
Reply 18
Hey has anyone got a rough estimate of what the grade boundaries will be for this. So approximately how much out of 70 for an A? also surely this exam doesn't count for anything since the changes? anyway good luck guys..
Around 55/75 for an A
Original post by JackPS
Hey has anyone got a rough estimate of what the grade boundaries will be for this. So approximately how much out of 70 for an A? also surely this exam doesn't count for anything since the changes? anyway good luck guys..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending