The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alien Warrior
No mate, I thinks it's because theres zero evidence for God chap.

Good bit of banter there haha
Reply 101
Original post by RayApparently
There are a million threads on completely unimportant things. Aren't atheists allowed at talk about the Bible?

I might have worded it a little poorly but the guy said there is zero evidence for God. He is purposefully imposing his beliefs on others. Atheists can talk whatever they want to talk about but there is no point in just bashing God and religion.
Those implying that the Bible must be false because it does not mention dinosaurs ought to take a course in basic argumentative logic. As someone says above, the Bible doesn't mention iPhones either, or an infinity of other things.

What matters from a logical perspective is whether the Bible says anything that reasonably indicates dinosaurs did not exist; or, more loosely, can we reconcile the existence of dinosaurs with the text of the Bible in such a way that both can be true?

Clearly dinosaurs fit in on the sixth day of Creation when God creates all the other "beasts of the earth", or I suppose you could put the dinosaurs and other reptiles with the birds on the fifth day and say the beasts are all mammals, which actually would preserve the real-life evolutionary timescale.

According to the text of Genesis as I just read it, there is no space for the dinosaurs to be left to the flood: Noah was charged to take at least one breeding pair of all the animals around and it confirms he did so. But what it doesn't confirm is whether they actually went forth and multiplied afterwards, so that's the opening where dinosaurs can die out.

More importantly, even if God existed and the whole benighted story was true, why would he have revealed random information about dinosaurs, or indeed future consumer technology, to random desert-dwelling prophets? Even if it were somehow relevant, it would only have confused them and obfuscated the message.

Original post by RayApparently
Because those books were written by people who didn't know about dinosaurs.

Actually they probably were. There are stories of primeval giants in creation myths from across the world. The Nephilim of the Bible and the Titans of the Greeks come most readily to mind. As late as the nineteenth century, prior to the first scientific description of a dinosaur, the condyles of a theropod leg bone were described, however jocularly, under the name Scrotum humanum.

Of course it is quite probable that ancient peoples could imagine giant humans for themselves without having to find any giant bones in the ground; we cannot know for sure. But I do think most people if they thought about it would certainly ascribe the worldwide legends of dragons to the unearthing of large reptilian fossils.
(edited 7 years ago)
No mate, I thinks it's because theres zero evidence for God chap.

The absence of evidence is not evidence for absence i.e. just cus there wasnt any evidence for gravitational waves 500 years ago, did that mean they didnt exist back then ?
Original post by LuckyKhan
Can u get me evidence of your great great great great grandmother?
does that mean she isn't real?

Silly comparison. We know your great great great great grandmother existed through deductive logic. Humans can only come into existence by being born from their mothers, and those parents from their own ones and so on and so forth. We have evidence of how humans come into existence.

There is no evidence at all for a deity.
Because Allah and Mohammed were Tyrannosaurus Rex's. #tryprovemewrongwithsolidevidence
Because dinosaurs didn't exist. Think about it: the only evidence we have of their existence implies that they lived millions of years ago, which is impossible since God created the world mere thousands of years ago.
Original post by adott25
The absence of evidence is not evidence for absence i.e. just cus there wasnt any evidence for gravitational waves 500 years ago, did that mean they didnt exist back then ?

That's true, do you believe in pink invisible elephants then?
That's true, do you believe in pink invisible elephants then?

Well no, i mean if they're invisible how can they be pink?
Original post by adott25
Well no, i mean if they're invisible how can they be pink?

Good point.

Invisible elephants then.
Original post by plantagenet crown
silly comparison. We know your great great great great grandmother existed through deductive logic. Humans can only come into existence by being born from their mothers, and those parents from their own ones and so on and so forth. We have evidence of how humans come into existence.

There is no evidence at all for a deity.

u know that ur great great great grandmother existed by indirect observation...that is how you say god exists...through indirect observation
Reply 111
u know that ur great great great grandmother existed by indirect observation...that is how you say god exists...through indirect observation

No...

Posted from TSR Mobile

its what i believe...

You can observe people being born. You can't observe any god.
Reply 114
its what i believe...

Read Planta's comments again. It bears no similarity to an argument for God's existence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You can observe people being born. You can't observe any god.

is god there to be observed?
u say that the world was created by the big bang, there has to have been something to cause that....did it "just happen"? For something to happen, there must be a resultant force which has to have been caused by something....not nothing.
u say that the world was created by the big bang, there has to have been something to cause that....did it "just happen"? For something to happen, there must be a resultant force which has to have been caused by something....not nothing.

If there is no evidence for god then there's no reason to believe in one, it's that simple. Your argument is the fallacious God of the Gaps.
Reply 117

Same argument applies to God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good point.

Invisible elephants then.

i prefer to think there are tiny invisible pigs with wings flying around, invisible elephants is a tad absurd if you ask me
I find these arguments pretty weak and petty.

Latest