The Student Room Group

What do I do when my parents think I'm fat?

Okay, so my parents (especially my dad) have been saying loads for 2 years that I have been gaining weight and I need to lose weight. My dad said last he say a picture of me from last year and I have gained loads of weight since then and when he says these sort of things he says he is trying to "help me". My friends say I'm not fat but I think they are just being nice but my BMI on the NHS website says I'm overweight but the doctors say I have a good weight.

Things are getting to the point where I will just look at myself in the mirror and start crying because I see what my parents say about me. I have never been skinny, I have a wide rib cage and I have never bothered too much about my weight until someone says something. Help??
I know it's really hard when somebody close to you starts making comments like that, I've been there, and I completely getit's not pleasant. I think that it's most likely that your parents are just concerned for your health and don't really know how to go about mentioning their concern. If your doctor's saying that you're healthy than that should be the only thing that matters. It is possiblt to be slightly overweight and still live healthily. Ultimately, it is not the opinion of your parents that should concern you, but your own. From your post, I'm guessing you're not too happy, and that is fine, but try to work out if you are actually physically unhappy in yourself or just unhappy as a result of your parents comments.

My advice to you would be to talk to your parents and tell them how you feel about their comments. Explain to them reasonably how their comments are both negative and unhelpful, and share your feelings with them. In terms of dealing with the actual weight, if you are unhappy, and only if you are, try to make simple lifestyle changes and incorporate them slowly into your everyday routine. Maybe you could go for a run once a week, eat less sugar, walk home instead of taking a bus; little things can make a big difference. Finally, don't get fixated with your weight. You are more than what the scales tell you, people like you for who you are, not what size jeans you wear. And remember that if you do undertake to lose some weight, it should only be if you want to. You are healthy and your doctor would say if this were not the case.

Good luck, I've been where you are now and I know it's not fun, but trust me when I say that things will get better, they always do!

Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LamantChenille
I know it's really hard when somebody close to you starts making comments like that, I've been there, and I completely getit's not pleasant. I think that it's most likely that your parents are just concerned for your health and don't really know how to go about mentioning their concern. If your doctor's saying that you're healthy than that should be the only thing that matters. It is possiblt to be slightly overweight and still live healthily. Ultimately, it is not the opinion of your parents that should concern you, but your own. From your post, I'm guessing you're not too happy, and that is fine, but try to work out if you are actually physically unhappy in yourself or just unhappy as a result of your parents comments.

My advice to you would be to talk to your parents and tell them how you feel about their comments. Explain to them reasonably how their comments are both negative and unhelpful, and share your feelings with them. In terms of dealing with the actual weight, if you are unhappy, and only if you are, try to make simple lifestyle changes and incorporate them slowly into your everyday routine. Maybe you could go for a run once a week, eat less sugar, walk home instead of taking a bus; little things can make a big difference. Finally, don't get fixated with your weight. You are more than what the scales tell you, people like you for who you are, not what size jeans you wear. And remember that if you do undertake to lose some weight, it should only be if you want to. You are healthy and your doctor would say if this were not the case.

Good luck, I've been where you are now and I know it's not fun, but trust me when I say that things will get better, they always do!

Hope that helped :smile:

Thank you, your advice really helped:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by luke_stroud_
I used to have a problem with my weight, and I used my parents comments as a positive!
I thought to myself- If my parents are brave enough to call me fat then it must be true, and I used this as my motivation to get fit!
Although I already played sport four times a week, I just liked to eat a lot.
I went on a 5km run every other day, and cut out very fatty foods and pretty much all sugars except for natural ones.
The improvement you will see takes a few weeks, but after that It is rapid if you can keep it up!
The hardest part is to start, however once you are motivated you can achieve anything!
I wish you the best of luck, and promise to you- once you have started it gets a lot easier!
I suggest using an app such as run keeper to track your runs and use as a source of motivation to see how far you have come!
Don't let those negative comments bring you down! Good luck :":wink:

Thank you :smile: It's just sometimes easier said than done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending