The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 2 - 25th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thash12
For 4)c) I believe it was just the sum formula by using n=18 (21-4+1) and since you know the first value "a" and the difference "d" you can just plug it into the formula
S18=18/2 times 2a...? Could be wrong but going with it

The answer is derived from 21Σn=1 3Σn=1 as you are asked for 21Σn=4

You are given 21Σn=1 = 168

Thus working out 3Σn=1 = 78

Therefore 21Σn=4 = 168 78 = 90
Original post by Marijavore
10 for effort don't put urself down!!

Yeah i'll say that to you on results day
Original post by CirclesAreRound
I'm sorry for my generic reply but it really does depend on what you worked out and did or did not do.

For that specific 6 mark questions I expect the marks to be divided into:

M4
B1
A1

Thereby divided into:

½r^2θ = ½absinC ½r^2θ r^2(θ) = ½absinC –M1

r= √(½absinC/θ) {No loss of accuracy i.e. no participation in premature rounding} M1

Note μ , δ and σ represent a candidate's answer
9 r = μ
8 r = δ

For the above B1

= σ M1

Perimeter = μ + δ + σ + 5 M1

Perimeter to 3 significant figures A1

That's how I believe the marks will be split, of course they are my interpretation of the distribution of marks [Which I'm pretty confident about but of course not entirely sure]

You can judge from above how many marks you may have gained/lost. But please, please, please take it with a pinch of salt.

You have one more Maths exam left and you should not let yourself be downhearted about what may have happened today. Continue to revise, smash that applied module and results day may not be as bad as you may think. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by Whatevenemily
I feel you

I'm sorry for my generic reply but it really does depend on what you worked out and did or did not do.

For that specific 6 mark questions I expect the marks to be divided into:

M4
B1
A1

Thereby divided into:

½r^2θ = ½absinC ½r^2θ r^2(θ) = ½absinC –M1

r= √(½absinC/θ) {No loss of accuracy i.e. no participation in premature rounding} M1

Note μ , δ and σ represent a candidate's answer
9 r = μ
8 r = δ

For the above B1

= σ M1

Perimeter = μ + δ + σ + 5 M1

Perimeter to 3 significant figures A1

That's how I believe the marks will be split, of course they are my interpretation of the distribution of marks [Which I'm pretty confident about but of course not entirely sure]

You can judge from above how many marks you may have gained/lost. But please, please, please take it with a pinch of salt.

You have one more Maths exam left and you should not let yourself be downhearted about what may have happened today. Continue to revise, smash that applied module and results day may not be as bad as you may think. Good luck!

Thanks man, have to give a big push for M1 now.. Also

I rounded the radius, so i got 5.83, so the answer i got was 16.2? would i get the marks? also i forgot to show my working out for 8 - radius, did it in my head?
Original post by goofyygoober
Yep, I got the same as you did.
But they said the transformation was 3√x^2 + 1 not 3√x^2 + 9 which totally confused me.

I remember when I looked at the question it was 3√x^2 + 9, right??

I just really didn't know whether I read the question wrong or not.

I read the question wrong and kicking myself for it.

Original post by Thash12
For 4)c) I believe it was just the sum formula by using n=18 (21-4+1) and since you know the first value "a" and the difference "d" you can just plug it into the formula
S18=18/2 times 2a...? Could be wrong but going with it

Yup, I did that and it was the correct method as I would've got the correct answer (90) however i made a silly error and forgot to do 18-1 to get 17 and then times the difference by 17 etc etc. So yeah you're on the right lines, I'm sure there are two ways of doing it because both ways give the same answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lastminuterush
Thank you so much for your help!

No worries!
Original post by SunDun111
Thanks man, have to give a big push for M1 now.. Also

I rounded the radius, so i got 5.83, so the answer i got was 16.2? would i get the marks? also i forgot to show my working out for 8 - radius, did it in my head?

Your answer of 16.2 is a fair bit beyond the 13.8 so it wouldn't get the A1 mark

Unfortunately I believe that the B1 mark comes from both the (9 r) and (8 - r) where you have to show them being worked out so I don't think you would've gotten it

But of course this isn't the real mark scheme so you never know!

Yup big push for M1 and you'll be fine. It isn't the easiest module but once you've got the hang of it that's all there is to it
Your answer of 16.2 is a fair bit beyond the 13.8 so it wouldn't get the A1 mark

Unfortunately I believe that the B1 mark comes from both the (9 r) and (8 - r) where you have to show them being worked out so I don't think you would've gotten it

Yup big push for M1 and you'll be fine. It isn't the easiest module but once you've got the hang of it that's all there is to it

no sorry not 16.2 i got 13.2? any idea now? and yeah hopefully ill do ok in it
Original post by SunDun111
no sorry not 16.2 i got 13.2? any idea now? and yeah hopefully ill do ok in it

A1 marks are rewarded for the exact answers so even an answer of 13.7 or 13.9 (When the actual answer is 13.8) would unfortunately not score the mark
A1 marks are rewarded for the exact answers so even an answer of 13.7 or 13.9 (When the actual answer is 13.8) would unfortunately not score the mark

:frown: hoping for atleast 3 on that question..
rather be dumb than up my own arse xx
In terms of ums if you had 70/75 as an example and 100 ums was 73, 90 was 68 would your ums be 90 (based on grade boundaries) or is it based on your mark?

NOTE: I made up these numbers as an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
In terms of ums if you had 70/75 as an example and 100 ums was 73, 90 was 68 would your ums be 90 (based on grade boundaries) or is it based on your mark?

NOTE: I made up these numbers as an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh? No, it would be somewhere between 90 and 100 (likely mid 90s)
Original post by Chickenslayer69
Huh? No, it would be somewhere between 90 and 100 (likely mid 90s)

Right, thanks - i havent really paid attention to ums so i have no idea how it works. UCAS is based on grade though isnt it? So like a high A will have the same points as a low A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone else do the exponential graph the wrong way round?? I rushed and drew it as if it were a normal exponential graph e.g. y=2^x. But apparently it was like that but reflected in the Y axis... Oh well, I should still get the mark for labelling the correct intercept as that shouldn't have changed.
Original post by mattyt307
Did anyone else do the exponential graph the wrong way round?? I rushed and drew it as if it were a normal exponential graph e.g. y=2^x. But apparently it was like that but reflected in the Y axis... Oh well, I should still get the mark for labelling the correct intercept as that shouldn't have changed.

Yes - for 0.5^x when x is lower, the value increases, so it's the other way around.

You will get 1 mark for stating the y intercept, yes. :smile:
wheres the unoffical markscheme??
Original post by money-for-all
i left the normal equation in the form y-y1 = m(x-x1)

how many marks willl i lose

none, thats what it asked lol
How was the expansion question done , when expanded I got x^10 to be like -18144 !
Original post by smitherito
How was the expansion question done , when expanded I got x^10 to be like -18144 !

sounds what i got

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending