The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack210
Hey could you tell me where i can find a list of all the non calc maths topics

yeah i need one too
Do any of you know all the "extra" formulas needed?

Not the ones on the front, I need more formulas like:

Area of a parallelogram
Volume of pyramid

things like that
parallelogram is base times height
pyramid volume is length by width by height divided by 3. basically working out volume of a cube but divide by 3 at the end,
Original post by TJ2001
If anyone is in need of help in some last minute revision for the maths exam post your questions here and I'll try my best to help. I got an A* this November so want to try and help anyone if I can. Good Luck with the exam everyone!

Wow congrats on your A*!:biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by innermight
I'm getting really confused with algebraic fractions such as this (sorry for bad quality)
13254309_10209569342897051_6733555901319963436_n.jpg
could you help me solve it?

I'm really sorry I've never been able to understand them, they were always my worst topic. I found this video which I hope can help you though -http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea48eQ4GeJg. Good Luck in your exam!
Reply 45
How do you work out the total of a number with a negative fraction as its indices?
Reply 46
Original post by sunshine774
Wow congrats on your A*!:biggrin:
Aw thank you so much! 😊😃😃
Reply 47
Original post by emilyphillips17
Could you explain how to find a perpendicular line from a given line equation or co-ordinates please if that makes sense? I'm really not sure on it at alllll 😂

Take the lines gradient as m, a perpendicular line will have the gradient - 1/m. If I specifies that it passes through a certain point, make sure you use that as the c in the equation. Does this make sense, I'll look for a video to help you too if it doesn't. Good luck in the exam.
Reply 48
Original post by grillledcheese
yeah i need one too

Somebody linked this earlier http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/GCSE/period-1/Higher/module.php
When they are the same with different scale factor.

e.g. show that MN is parallel to XY

blah blah...

MN = 2/3(a+b)
XY= a+b

therefore they are parallel.
Reply 50
Original post by roryburke901
Do any of you know all the "extra" formulas needed?

Not the ones on the front, I need more formulas like:

Area of a parallelogram
Volume of pyramid

things like that

Area of a cuboid is one; basexheightxlength
Volume of a cylinder is one too;
Base(pie r^2) X height
Surface area of a cylinder;
2pie r^2 + 2pie r x height

Also remember that the formula for the curved surface area of a cone is given not the total. To work out the total do curved surface area X area of base

Think that's all, might want to check just incase. Good Luck!
Original post by TJ2001
Take the lines gradient as m, a perpendicular line will have the gradient - 1/m. If I specifies that it passes through a certain point, make sure you use that as the c in the equation. Does this make sense, I'll look for a video to help you too if it doesn't. Good luck in the exam.

Nono it's fine I'm pretty sure I understand now, Thankyou!!
Original post by innermight
I'm getting really confused with algebraic fractions such as this (sorry for bad quality)
13254309_10209569342897051_6733555901319963436_n.jpg
could you help me solve it?

2016-05-25 21.04.54.jpg
Here's my solution.
Reply 53
Original post by CRHx
How do you work out the total of a number with a negative fraction as its indices?

Sorry it's a little unclear. It's quite hard to explain this, does this example help?
image.jpg
Reply 54
Original post by emilyphillips17
Nono it's fine I'm pretty sure I understand now, Thankyou!!

No problem 😊
Reply 55
Original post by TJ2001
Sorry it's a little unclear. It's quite hard to explain this, does this example help?
image.jpg

That's great thanks.
Reply 56
Original post by TJ2001
I think by θ, he means how many degrees the sector is :smile:

Yes I meant theta, the angle in a sector. Area of a sector is that theta angle divided by 360 x πr^2

For the arc length, theta angle divided by 360 x πd
Reply 57
Original post by Mr...
@Ben.M @TJ2001
I struggle with this kind of stuff mainly

Algebraic Proof
Harder Vectors Qs
Surds
Congruent Proof
Similar Shapes

Proof is hard to explain over typing, this short video may help.. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DxODoNGetVY
With vectors the basic rule to remember is if the are multiples they're parallel, and if they're multiples and share a common point it's a straight line. Sometimes it can be very hit or miss with the complicated problems but providing you remember those rules you can give it a good go.
Surds again can be very hit or miss, but this short video should outline the basic principle - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8FavvjSII - and a video is probably easier to understand that if I was to try and type out an explanation.
Congruent triangles, make sure you remeber the four rules of what needs to be equal to be congruent.
SSS (three side)
AAS (two angles and corresponding side)
SAS (two sides and included angle)
RHS (right angle, hypotenuse, side)
For similar shapes know these rules and you'll be fine...
(K being the scale factor)
Length - times by K
Surface area - times by K^2
Volume - time by K^3

Hope this has helped. Good Luck in the exam 😊
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Ummm, the expressions for volume and area like the pi ones, cuz I wanaa make sure I know 'em properly, thanks very much! & That's the last thing, hopefully! :biggrin:

go on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4SUypJZxo its a bit annoying but trust me itll stay in your head i heard this once in yr 7 and i still remember it helps with circles and pi
Reply 59
If anyone has more questions I won't be able to reply from now as I won't be online. Best of luck in the exam to everyone! 😊

Quick Reply