The Student Room Group

Bounds meh

image.jpg

So firstly sorry for the horizontalness of the pic and the messy handwriting...

Am I doing the right thing? And what should I do with those two values of W?

I can't access the answers for this so I'm just wondering if I am doing it right?

@Zacken
Reply 1
Original post by homeland.lsw
image.jpg

So firstly sorry for the horizontalness of the pic and the messy handwriting...

Am I doing the right thing? And what should I do with those two values of W?

I can't access the answers for this so I'm just wondering if I am doing it right?

@Zacken

So basically you have xmin=5.425x_{\text{min}} = 5.425 and xmax=5.435x_{\text{max}} = 5.435 (and similar for y min and max).

Then to get the biggest value of w, you want biggest value of x / smallest value of y ( can you see why?)

So wmax=xmaxymin\displaystyle w_{\text{max}} = \sqrt{\frac{x_{\text{max}}}{ y_{\text{min}}} } - can you then see what you need to do for wminw_{\text{min}}?
Original post by Zacken
So basically you have xmin=5.425x_{\text{min}} = 5.425 and xmax=5.435x_{\text{max}} = 5.435 (and similar for y min and max).

Then to get the biggest value of w, you want biggest value of x / smallest value of y ( can you see why?)

So wmax=xmaxymin\displaystyle w_{\text{max}} = \sqrt{\frac{x_{\text{max}}}{ y_{\text{min}}} } - can you then see what you need to do for wminw_{\text{min}}?

so to a suitable degree of accuracy means the biggest value possible?
Reply 3
so to a suitable degree of accuracy means the biggest value possible?

Sorry, just properly read your question, you'd already done that bit! Uhm, basically, to a suitable degree of accuracy means the value of ww that both wminw_{\text{min}} and wmaxw_{\text{max}} round off to the same thing.

So, ask yourself is w=1.0962w=1.0962 is suitable by checking whether w=1.0973w = 1.0973 rounds to that. Obviously not.

Is w=1.096w = 1.096 suitable? Does both w=1.0973w = 1.0973 and w=1.0962w = 1.0962 round off to that (to 3 d.p)? Obviously not.

What about w=1.10w = 1.10 (2 d.p). Do both values of ww round off to that? If so, then that's the suitable degree, other wise try once decimal place and then one significant figure, etc...
Original post by Zacken
Sorry, just properly read your question, you'd already done that bit! Uhm, basically, to a suitable degree of accuracy means the value of ww that both wminw_{\text{min}} and wmaxw_{\text{max}} round off to the same thing.

So, ask yourself is w=1.0962w=1.0962 is suitable by checking whether w=1.0973w = 1.0973 rounds to that. Obviously not.

Is w=1.096w = 1.096 suitable? Does both w=1.0973w = 1.0973 and w=1.0962w = 1.0962 round off to that (to 3 d.p)? Obviously not.

What about w=1.10w = 1.10 (2 d.p). Do both values of ww round off to that? If so, then that's the suitable degree, other wise try once decimal place and then one significant figure, etc...

Thanks Zacken!!! helpful as usual!!!
Reply 5
Thanks Zacken!!! helpful as usual!!!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest