The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 2 - 25th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smitherito
How was the expansion question done , when expanded I got x^10 to be like -18144 !

You just had to think in your head of what coefficiants with there particular power would multiply (or addition of powers together) to get x^10 so you'd have x^5 and X^5, x^6 and x^4 and so on
Original post by brodingoson
You just had to think in your head of what coefficiants with there particular power would multiply (or addition of powers together) to get x^10 so you'd have x^5 and X^5, x^6 and x^4 and so on

I think I multiplied them the x^2 and x^5 coefficients . Should I have added. My indices rules are shaky
Original post by smitherito
I think I multiplied them the x^2 and x^5 coefficients . Should I have added. My indices rules are shaky

Yes, e.g. (x^5) x (x^5) = x^10,

When you multiply numbers, you add the power, (X^2) x (X^5) = x^7

If you multiplied the powers, that will explain you big number
Don't worry about it though :smile:
Original post by Chickenslayer69
Yes - for 0.5^x when x is lower, the value increases, so it's the other way around.

You will get 1 mark for stating the y intercept, yes. :smile:

the graph is supposed to be y=(0.2)^x <---- same as that if you type it into your graphical calculator , you dont have to reflect it ?

**** i did 5 and 2... i've messed up :frown: ganna drop maths

i did this too, will i get any marks?
Original post by clairebear101
**** i did 5 and 2... i've messed up :frown: ganna drop maths

Quite a lot of people find the paper challenging so expect lower grade boundaries than normal, dont worry, just try to ace your last module your doing in maths!
i did this too, will i get any marks?

As in you do add the powers together to get 10?
i think i failed c2 tbh, maybe a D ? if im lucky

lets say if i get;
'C' in c1
'D' in c2
what will i have to get in s1 to get a B (and is it even still possible for me to get a B ? LMAO )

I mean B as an overall grade in AS maths
As in you do add the powers together to get 10?

i made a mistake and did the powers of 5 and 2
Quite a lot of people find the paper challenging so expect lower grade boundaries than normal, dont worry, just try to ace your last module your doing in maths!

what do u think will be an A?
i made a mistake and did the powers of 5 and 2

If you tried to multiply coefficients together and used the right numbers for both the binomial expansions, you'll get at least 2 method marks out of 5 but all depends on how harsh the mark scheme is
what do u think will be an A?

Depends but last years paper was 58 and i found this years a lot more challenging so around 56-58, but it all depends on how well people have done

on that question, i expanded it all out but i did it the n(n-1) method, and i forgot to multiply out all my numbers by 2^,7 instead just 2, so i got a stupiud answer could i get any marks at all?
Original post by money-for-all

lets say if i get;
'C' in c1
'D' in c2
what will i have to get in s1 to get a B (and is it even still possible for me to get a B ? LMAO )

You would need a very solid A but it is doable, grade boundaries will be lower this year
You would need a very solid A but it is doable, grade boundaries will be lower this year

so its possible ?

i freaking love you !!!!
thanks, just what i needed to hear (or read xD)

so its definatly stil possible to get a B overall , provided i get a solid A in S1 ?
Original post by SunDun111
on that question, i expanded it all out but i did it the n(n-1) method, and i forgot to multiply out all my numbers by 2^,7 instead just 2, so i got a stupiud answer could i get any marks at all?

Really not sure because if don't know what your working is like and it all depends on the examiner and if the mark scheme is kind or not

they;ll accept multiple ways of finding the answer but i think the marker only looks at the other ways if you had the right answer at the end
so its possible ?

i freaking love you !!!!
thanks, just what i needed to hear (or read xD)

so its definatly stil possible to get a B overall , provided i get a solid A in S1 ?

Hahah and yes, you need 210/300 ums to get a B so FOR EXAMPLE if you got 65 in C1 which is a C and 55 in C2 which is a D, they add up to 120 ums and then you need 90 in S1 to get you to 210 UMS which is a B:smile:

lets say if i get;
'C' in c1
'D' in c2

If you got a mid C and a mid D, you would need 90UMS on stats to get a B.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hahah and yes, you need 210/300 ums to get a B so FOR EXAMPLE if you got 65 in C1 which is a C and 55 in C2 which is a D, they add up to 120 ums and then you need 90 in S1 to get you to 210 UMS which is a B:smile:

THANKS SOO MUCH !!!!

you my friend are a star, may you do well in all your upcoming exams, and good luck !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest