The Student Room Group

A levels are way too easy

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking 5 A levels atm and haha I'm not finding it easy at all. perhaps circumstantial / particular factors revolving around you led you to think that they are easy. You cannot generalise A levels on the basis of having taken 4. Exam boards differ & depth of information and application differs even more across subjects.

I presume you took A levels in the UK? why did you call mathematics math. Most of us say maths =P
Reply 21
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes they are. Way too hyped up relative to GCSEs. If anything I found them preferable/easier to remember info for due to the lesser variation (4 subjects instead of 10..)

edit: However they are only easy imo if you put a fair bit of work in. Some people underestimate what a fair bit of work is I guess. There is also the matter of working in the right manner.

I feel the exact same way. It was an absolute nightmare to have so many exams in the course of 2 months.
Original post by alevez2ez
Yes, the jogging part is quite true however I can say that I did not pay too much attention in class, I messed around with my friends a fair bit and did not bother studying for mocks (hence the Ds and the Us). I didn't do a lot of homework of Maths because I felt that my teacher just overloaded the class each day (she gave like 2 whole exercises).. I was struggling really bad in Maths but after doing like 6 past papers, it was turning out to be so easy. I did not do a single book question near exam time. I felt it was a waste of time.

That is exactly the key imo. People just do not get enough time to adjust quickly hence why say it is hard but if you can go on about it then you can find them very easy and do well.

Chemistry you'd be fine with after a few past papers.

Don't know about geography or maths.

Biology would be fine if you devoted and used short-term memory for a few days before the exam.

So yeah you could have, I was just previously pointing out what more you could have done without realising. :tongue:
Reply 23
I did Geography, Math, Chemistry and Biology in AS.

Geography is a much easier subject compared to Math, Biology, Chemistry. Anyway... I was predicted 3 D's and an E (In bio) and my teachers expected me to fail completely.

I started studying 2 days before each exam and managed to get an A in all 4 of my subjects. This just goes to show that A levels are way too easy*.

Thing for me is that I used to revise before like daily and then I just used to forget the stuff when the exam time came and was too lazy to study it so I stopped studying all together and just studying when close to exams and I managed to get amazing results.

I am no genius student..and I am not exactly smart. (I got Us in my mock this year as well).. I just think that A levels should be more harder as years fly. (2016>2015- not the reverse) Especially for subjects like Biology, Chemistry & Math. These subjects are already at a very high prestige comparatively so it doesn't make sense to make them easier.

Thanks for reading guys.. I am sorry if I pissed anyone off or came off as a 'smartass'. Just sharing my thoughts.

The modular system allowed students to cram, it's only effective for some people though. The new system will still make it possible for cramming before AS but again only effective for a few… however, cramming for the end of year 2 exam will be impossible, that is almost certain.

You also speak about AS not A level, no mention of your A2/final grades? AS is made to be so its an advance from GCSEs, not too difficult but certainly not easy. A2 is quite like an advance behind university and is made to be a challenge, it's designed in a way that incorporates small things into a huge picture that you couldn't possibly cram for, everything is intertwined and not very unitary so don't jump to conclusions
Reply 24
Original post by habibtii
I'm taking 5 A levels atm and haha I'm not finding it easy at all. perhaps circumstantial / particular factors revolving around you led you to think that they are easy. You cannot generalise A levels on the basis of having taken 4. Exam boards differ & depth of information and application differs even more across subjects.

I presume you took A levels in the UK? why did you call mathematics math. Most of us say maths =P

Well 5 A levels are obviously going to be much harder. Each A level subject has its toll. Out of curiously though why are you taking 5? What subject do you want to study at university?

Taking 4 is the most mainstream. I have barely ever heard of people taking more than 5, & if it's critical thinking or business studies then it's not really that big of a difference from taking 4 subjects.

It's true that exam boards differ but the content is more or less the same, there isn't much difference.

I choose AQA Human biology by the way for my AS and in mid year (late january) we switched to Normal Biology. I was extremely surprised by the carelessness of my teacher nevertheless it didn't affect me as much as you know.. I didn't exactly study a lot during the year.

Haha no, I call it Math as a habit. My teacher does the same so she might have passed that on :P
I am and have struggled with my as exams, I think they are hard. Even though, you know what to do and how to study hard based on past years, it never works out. I procrastinated my whole year through, even though I know how valuable hard work is
Reply 26
Original post by physicsamor
I am and have struggled with my as exams, I think they are hard. Even though, you know what to do and how to study hard based on past years, it never works out. I procrastinated my whole year through, even though I know how valuable hard work is

I felt this same way when I did my GCSE's but the story is quite different. My GCSE grades were terrible btw.. I even had physics tutor and I covered every single topic in the book and did all the past papers from 2004. I was getting A*s in them and then started slacking Physics. 3 months later I went in to give the physics exam and could not recall any info. I just underestimated it all and that was one of the moments where I realized that our education system is literally promoting for me to cram and study effectively than study the whole year and slack in the end.

I don't think hard work is really the key to getting the good grades. Honestly.. You can work hard all year and something new coming up on the the paper could absolutely destroy you. 12 marks can even make a difference between an A and an D. Hardwork only takes you so far..especially now that papers are becoming more of the 'understanding the concept' than 'learn the style of the paper'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Says someone who uses a double comparative.

Then again, I managed to get an A in an AS French past paper in Year 10...

Just slipped that in didn't ya
Well 5 A levels are obviously going to be much harder. Each A level subject has its toll. Out of curiously though why are you taking 5? What subject do you want to study at university?

Taking 4 is the most mainstream. I have barely ever heard of people taking more than 5, & if it's critical thinking or business studies then it's not really that big of a difference from taking 4 subjects.

It's true that exam boards differ but the content is more or less the same, there isn't much difference.

I choose AQA Human biology by the way for my AS and in mid year (late january) we switched to Normal Biology. I was extremely surprised by the carelessness of my teacher nevertheless it didn't affect me as much as you know.. I didn't exactly study a lot during the year.

Haha no, I call it Math as a habit. My teacher does the same so she might have passed that on :P

I study maths, bio, chem, and sociology. and the extra A level is a language which I chose to take thinking itd be a piece of cake but I'm not convinced anymore. The fact that it's my mother tongue does help, but in some aspects that's irrelevant. It does require me to study. What have I learnt from this? to lower my expectations.
I do need to rectify something: I'm doing AS levels right now, so currently in my first year. I'll drop biology, probably.

I'd like to go into some branch of engineering. Not entirely sure yet.

I have a careless biology teacher too. She doesn't really teach, and claims we must study independently, to justify why she doesn't ._.
for biology, did you find most info to be based on memorisation and just some understanding/application? or is it true that there is significantly less to memorise. I have a bio paper in approx 13 hours and I legit don't know anything, I still don't.
(edited 7 years ago)
What you need to renember is that everyone finds A levels different, even with tonnes of work I am failing a subject, but geting A's in my others with little work.
Reply 30
Original post by habibtii
I study maths, bio, chem, and sociology. and the extra A level is a language which I chose to take thinking itd be a piece of cake but I'm not convinced anymore. The fact that it's my mother tongue does help, but in some aspects that's irrelevant. It does require me to study. What have I learnt from this? to lower my expectations.
I do need to rectify something: I'm doing AS levels right now, so currently in my first year. I'll drop biology, probably.

I'd like to go into some branch of engineering. Not entirely sure yet.

I have a careless biology teacher too. She doesn't really teach, and claims we must study independently, to justify why she doesn't ._.
for biology, did you find most info to be based on memorisation and just some understanding/application? or is it true that there is significantly less to memorise. I have a bio paper in approx 13 hours and I legit don't know anything, I still don't.

**** teachers like those. My teacher didn't teach me **** either and it took me a lot of time to grasp knowledge about the tRNA and mRNA.

Don't worry about it. Most of the info was factual recall, but factual recall won't get you an A. Improve! Best tip I can give you. How science work questions will come and they will often have little to do with the actual content. Observe every single detail you interpret from the question. Notice it and keep it in mind, there will always be a part of the question that will confuse you a bit even though you know the detail itself but just do not 'appreciate' it. And always try to relate this to the concept you have learnt, if you can.
Reply 31
Original post by Randomerror
What you need to renember is that everyone finds A levels different, even with tonnes of work I am failing a subject, but geting A's in my others with little work.

I put 0 effort in geography and got an A. I have a class mate who says she studies a lot or gives off that vibe. On the day of the exam, she told me that 'Imma be getting a D or an E because she asked me some hardass question and I had no idea what she was talking about..she also said that it's a shame I won't be making it to year 13. And I managed to get an A while she got a D.

Getting bad grades has never helped anyone. You face demoralization from teachers, students and they may just as well 'look down' on you like how my friend did but in the end the only person I could blame it on was me. In the end all was good anyway, it always is. Everyone has their own weaknesses and strengths. But it is extremely rare for say..a student to find a subject like Chemistry easier than geography. So when I speak for myself, I am sure I speak for the average group of people who have a set range of difficulty level for each subject.
(edited 7 years ago)

Geography is a much easier subject compared to Math, Biology, Chemistry. Anyway... I was predicted 3 D's and an E (In bio) and my teachers expected me to fail completely.

I started studying 2 days before each exam and managed to get an A in all 4 of my subjects. This just goes to show that A levels are way too easy*.

Thing for me is that I used to revise before like daily and then I just used to forget the stuff when the exam time came and was too lazy to study it so I stopped studying all together and just studying when close to exams and I managed to get amazing results.

I am no genius student..and I am not exactly smart. (I got Us in my mock this year as well).. I just think that A levels should be more harder as years fly. (2016>2015- not the reverse) Especially for subjects like Biology, Chemistry & Math. These subjects are already at a very high prestige comparatively so it doesn't make sense to make them easier.

Thanks for reading guys.. I am sorry if I pissed anyone off or came off as a 'smartass'. Just sharing my thoughts.

When did you receive your results? Why have you just created a thread now if you received them last year? Post a picture of your results sheet? I don't think anyone on this forum believes you actually achieved such grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

I like you, you relatable
Reply 34
Original post by Julieplec
When did you receive your results? Why have you just created a thread now if you received them last year? Post a picture of your results sheet? I don't think anyone on this forum believes you actually achieved such grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was browsing this website and found a thread saying A levels are way too hard with people posting about any little subject being extremely stressful. The person who asked this was in GCSE I think and he'd obviously be scared to continue his education if 100+ people told him that A levels are way too hard. So I decided to create this post.

It's fine if you do not believe me. I do not need to prove to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
a) wrong

b) A2 is still a step up from AS, I found last year relatively easy in comparison. Wouldn't go so far as to say A-levels themselves are easy though.
Reply 36
Which exam board is this?
Reply 37

Watch videos and read the book for every question in the past paper you do not understand or a concept you are struggling at. Try to understand the style of the mark scheme, a lot of similar questions have similar answers. And last of all, always try to improvise if you find a question hard. Try to look for alternatives by recalling factual infoMy cents!Good luck. :smile:

How did you manage to do all of that in 2 days?
Reply 38
Original post by inhuman
How did you manage to do all of that in 2 days?

If you're doing a question in the past paper and got stuck at something because you do not know the knowledge itself, just go back to the book and read the chapter/section on it? Takes less than 15 minutes.
Reply 39
If you're doing a question in the past paper and got stuck at something because you do not know the knowledge itself, just go back to the book and read the chapter/section on it? Takes less than 15 minutes.

If you got a U in mock then you must have looked up every question.

And if you look it up once do the question and move on, you still wouldn't "know" it.

It might be the case that you have an exceptional short term memory and are able to retain most of what you looked at in a few days, but most people couldn't.

Quick Reply