The Student Room Group

Can I get into cambridge?

Are my grades good enough to get an interview from Cambridge for Electronic & electric engineering?
GCSEs
Maths A
Additional Science A
core science B
Spanish A*
French A*
History B
ICT B
English Language (before remark B) C
English Literature B

(dunno If I have to state all my grades but here's the next ones, if I don't have to I won't state these next ones of gcse)
Geography C
RE C
-As levels (predictions)
-Physics OCR- A (dunno if you get UMS if you do about 95%)
-Maths OCR MEI - c1 68/72 90 UMS
Core 2 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
mechanic1 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
overall - A 96 UMS
-Further Maths OCR MEI (self taught)
further pure 1 - B 71 ums
Mechanics 2 - B 71-73 ums
the next one again, I don't know whether we have to state all our grades, I will resit it (will this affect my application?) if I got less than a B and not state it if less than a B
mechanics 3 I lost 34 out of 72 mark which is usually a D but this paper was massively hard, so I reckon a B
-Spanish 100 ums A
-Psychology A 83 UMS
-Biology
First exam tomorrow
A 90%

Extra things:
DELF (French Language Studies Diploma) B1

It is to mention that my native language is Spanish and I'm of Peruvian/Spanish nationality
Original post by chemari1
Are my grades good enough to get an interview from Cambridge for Electronic & atomic engineering?
GCSEs
Maths A
Additional Science A
core science B
Spanish A*
French A*
History B
ICT B
English Language (before remark B) C
English Literature B

(dunno If I have to state all my grades but here's the next ones, if I don't have to I won't state these next ones of gcse)
Geography C
RE C
-As levels (predictions)
-Physics OCR- A (dunno if you get UMS if you do about 95%)
-Maths OCR MEI - c1 68/72 90 UMS
Core 2 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
mechanic1 (haven't done it yet but suppose) 100 ums
overall - A 96 UMS
-Further Maths OCR MEI (self taught)
further pure 1 - B 71 ums
Mechanics 2 - B 71-73 ums
the next one again, I don't know whether we have to state all our grades, I will resit it (will this affect my application?) if I got less than a B and not state it if less than a B
mechanics 3 I lost 34 out of 72 mark which is usually a D but this paper was massively hard, so I reckon a B
-Spanish 100 ums A
-Psychology A 83 UMS
-Biology
First exam tomorrow
A 90%

Extra things:
DELF (French Language Studies Diploma) B1

It is to mention that my native language is Spanish and I'm of Peruvian/Spanish nationality

Your GCSE's aren't great, but they wouldn't rule you out alone. I think the main problem with your grades is your poor grades in Further Maths (which you do have to declare). It's good that you've self-taught it, but even so I think low B's in FP1 and M2 make it very unlikely that you will get an interview or offer.
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
Your GCSE's aren't great, but they wouldn't rule you out alone. I think the main problem with your grades is your poor grades in Further Maths (which you do have to declare). It's good that you've self-taught it, but even so I think low B's in FP1 and M2 make it very unlikely that you will get an interview or offer.

Is it a legal requirement to declare them? what can I do about them?

I believe it is a legal requirement to declare all the modules you've taken, both on UCAS and I assume on the Cambridge SAQ also. I think your best chance is applying after you have finished your A-levels, if you achieve the standard offer of A*A*A.
Reply 4
I believe it is a legal requirement to declare all the modules you've taken, both on UCAS and I assume on the Cambridge SAQ also. I think your best chance is applying after you have finished your A-levels, if you achieve the standard offer of A*A*A.
thank you but I think if I did that it would take another year, btw will spanish count towards my application? I'm doing that , biology physics maths and probably further maths(at A2) if not just resit the modules of further I've done, do you know of another similar qualification (to the further maths modules) I could get between now and october?
thank you but I think if I did that it would take another year, btw will spanish count towards my application? I'm doing that , biology physics maths and probably further maths(at A2) if not just resit the modules of further I've done, do you know of another similar qualification (to the further maths modules) I could get between now and october?

Yes, you would have to take a gap year. I don't think Cambridge will care about A-level Spanish if you are a native speaker. I don't know of any useful qualifications you can do between now and the time you apply.
Reply 6
Yes, you would have to take a gap year. I don't think Cambridge will care about A-level Spanish if you are a native speaker. I don't know of any useful qualifications you can do between now and the time you apply.

at school I got told universities do(hence why I'm doing it) ta for your help
at school I got told universities do(hence why I'm doing it) ta for your help

No problem. Yes, some universities might, but Cambridge won't. Even if you weren't a native speaker, they would place much more of an emphasis on your relevant subjects of Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
Reply 8
No problem. Yes, some universities might, but Cambridge won't. Even if you weren't a native speaker, they would place much more of an emphasis on your relevant subjects of Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
I would assume so but it's stated by some colleges in this academic preferences table the preference for a language subject at AS
Reply 9

Your FM will definitely be a problem. And must be declared. All qualifications must be included on UCAS.

I would assume so but it's stated by some colleges in this academic preferences table the preference for a language subject at AS

Not really. It just means if you have a contrasting subject which ones they prefer. It doesn't mean you have to have one at all.

http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements
"Contrasting AS Levels
Please note that none of the preferences expressed here are strong. You should not be deterred from applying to a given College because you do not have an AS Level in the appropriate subject. No College will discriminate against an applicant because they have chosen not to study a contrasting subject."

Also an MML in a native language may not meet that criteria anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Your FM will definitely be a problem. And must be declared. All qualifications must be included on UCAS.

Not really. It just means if you have a contrasting subject which ones they prefer. It doesn't mean you have to have one at all.

Also an MML in a native language may not meet that criteria anyway.

thank you, do you know of any qualifications I can get between now and the 15th of october relating to that? it can be anything really as long as it's an equivalent, thank you
Reply 11
thank you, do you know of any qualifications I can get between now and the 15th of october relating to that? it can be anything really as long as it's an equivalent, thank you

Relating to what? Offsetting a poor FM? Maybe doing STEP I would be something - but you've left it too late. Deadline was 20th May...

And see my edit above.
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
Relating to what? Offsetting a poor FM? Maybe doing STEP I would be something - but you've left it too late. Deadline was 20th May...

And see my edit above.
offsetting a poor FM, anything else maybe, which may relate, international exams? thank you once again
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
offsetting a poor FM, anything else maybe, which may relate, international exams? thank you once again

dunno

but apply anyway and see what happens... you've nothing to lose!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending