The Student Room Group

Parents wont let me move out.. what excuse shall i use?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
I'll try but I just got a stupid ****in grade and went off on my profssor
**** life.

Try hard den haha :tongue:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Try hard den haha :tongue:

I did try hard wtf. Honestly don't say that again I do my damndest.
Original post by Reue
Terrible advice. All you're doing then is letting them continue to have their unreasonable control.

Better to let them know you're an adult, will be making your own decisions and they have to accept it.

That being said in Asian families a simple 'i'm and adult' won't do the trick, like OP said she doesn't really want to do anything to hurt them.
Reply 23
Original post by retro_turtles
That being said in Asian families a simple 'i'm and adult' won't do the trick,

Exactly, all the more reason to show them that you'll be making your own decisions.
Original post by Reue
Terrible advice. All you're doing then is letting them continue to have their unreasonable control.

Better to let them know you're an adult, will be making your own decisions and they have to accept it.

You obviously don't know what Asian families are like.
We actually care and respect our parents, and listen to what they say because we love them, instead of being rude and completely dis regarding what they say and their reasoning.
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymous
You obviously don't know what Asian families are like.
We actually care and respect our parents, and listen to what they say because we love them, instead of being rude and completely dis regarding what they say and their reasoning.

Controlling another adult is not care and respect. Those things should go both ways.

It's funny, because you try to portray strict Asian families as more loving and caring and yet in the past decade I've been on here the overwhelming majority of people complaining or asking advice about their parent's unreasonable demands have been from Asian families.
Show your parents your responsible,trustworthy and that you can take care of yourself.
Im sure they'll rethink it. Im a guy and my parents are willing to let me go abroad but I think for a girl its harder for parents to let go.
Original post by Reue
Controlling another adult is not care and respect. Those things should go both ways.

It's funny, because you try to portray strict Asian families as more loving and caring and yet in the past decade I've been on here the overwhelming majority of people complaining or asking advice about their parent's unreasonable demands have been from Asian families.

Again, glad I'm from an Asian family since I don't believe that care and respect go both ways bs

This isn't even an unreasonable demand smh. They have their reasons.
But yeah some parents do, but obviously you're not gonna get a thread on kind loving parents are you?
Original post by Reue
Exactly, all the more reason to show them that you'll be making your own decisions.

yeah that won't end well.. trust me
Reply 29
Again, glad I'm from an Asian family since I don't believe that care and respect go both ways

Unbelievable.

This isn't even an unreasonable demand smh.

Demanding your adult child no move out is unreasonable?

They have their reasons

Fortunately their reasons are outweighed by the desires of the adult.
Reply 30
Original post by retro_turtles
yeah that won't end well.. trust me

I disagree :smile:
Parents can be abusive and manipulative. It can be hard to give the situation the contempt it deserves because there will always be emotions attached even if your parents are being bang out of order.
Original post by Reue
I disagree :smile:

fair enough
Reply 33
No it isn't unreasonable. There's a lot of s*** that happens at uni including drinking, sex, drugs etc which her parents want her to stay away from and with good reason.

There's alot of s**** that happens within controlling households typically of certain cultural backgrounds...

No offense and I'm not trying to be racist but

That's ok, because I just made the same sweeping generalisations above.

how much respect we have for our parents

I think you misunderstand respect for obedience

That's one of the things I love about our culture so I'm not fearful of the fact when I grow old I get kicked into a care home.

Oh dear
Reply 34
No it isn't unreasonable. There's a lot of s*** that happens at uni including drinking, sex, drugs etc which her parents want her to stay away from and with good reason.
No offense and I'm not trying to be racist but I genuinely don't believe white people will EVER understand an Asians mind set and how much respect we have for our parents and how it's a MASSIVE thing to listen to what they say even if they turn old!
That's one of the things I love about our culture so I'm not fearful of the fact when I grow old I get kicked into a care home.

"Not trying to be racist but..."

Don't turn this into a race war. That has nothing to do with the question posed by OP. She simply wanted to know the best way to talk to and convince her parents to allow her to move to university and causing them as little upset as possible.

I don't need to understand the dynamics and inner workings of an Asian family to understand that this girls parents clearly care for her and are being protective, even if it may seem as though as an adult she is being restricted.

It is not a race thing. Pipe down.
Original post by Hann95
"Not trying to be racist but..."

Don't turn this into a race war. That has nothing to do with the question posed by OP. She simply wanted to know the best way to talk to and convince her parents to allow her to move to university and causing them as little upset as possible.

I don't need to understand the dynamics and inner workings of an Asian family to understand that this girls parents clearly care for her and are being protective, even if it may seem as though as an adult she is being restricted.

It is not a race thing. Pipe down.

lol wtf I'm trying to have a nice discussion, so pipe down yourself
Reply 36
lol wtf I'm trying to have a nice discussion, so pipe down yourself

You immediately made it about race and basically implied that white people dont respect their parents.
Original post by Reue
There's alot of s**** that happens within controlling households typically of certain cultural backgrounds...

That's ok, because I just made the same sweeping generalisations above.

I think you misunderstand respect for obedience

Oh dear

Nope respect and obedience go hand in hand

Lol compare the amount of care homes in England to the ones in south Asia.
To say south asian people don't ever put their parents in care homes would be stupid of me but you will notice the majority of people are white there
Reply 38
Nope respect and obedience go hand in hand

They can, true, but that is over-ruled by the go both ways.

Lol compare the amount of care homes in England to the ones in south Asia.
To say south asian people don't ever put their parents in care homes would be stupid of me but you will notice the majority of people are white there

I suspect it's a big financial thing also.

Nevermind though, if you're happy to promote fully grown adults being controlled by their parents for the possibility that you'll get to stay in an ill-equipped family home come senile retirement.. go right ahead.
Reply 39
I said no offense and not trying to be racist, why would I say that then use your brain
And the user above didn't take offense either

Ahh so I can say any sh*t I like so long as I put "no offence" in front of my comment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending