The Student Room Group

Media mest3 aqa june 2016

Discussion for the media mest3 A2 AQA June 2016 exam!

Does anyone have any predictions of what topic will come up?
I think it will be based on politics!

Scroll to see replies

I have no clue whatsoever however I think I'm prepared for it I worked out I only need 15 out of 80 marks (26 ums) to get a B overall in A2 Media on the whole.
What makes you think it will be on politics?
I have a hunch it'll be related to representations of women, but I'm most probably way out.
Well I'm not sure what I think though is that it might be two moving image texts
Original post by wayohazardz
Well I'm not sure what I think though is that it might be two moving image texts

I think definitely at least one! Hoping for 2 moving image
Yeah I just had a media lesson, last year it was two moving and the two years prior it was one of each print and moving image
What are you doing for each of your case studies?! My media teacher this year has been hopeless and we've done no work this year except a few theories - we were doing coursework from September until last week when the marks had to be sent in!! Any help would be appreciated, I'm very confused about what i should include in each case study as well:frown:((((
Original post by sgdanielsxo
What are you doing for each of your case studies?! My media teacher this year has been hopeless and we've done no work this year except a few theories - we were doing coursework from September until last week when the marks had to be sent in!! Any help would be appreciated, I'm very confused about what i should include in each case study as well:frown:((((

For me personally, for new and digital media I'm looking at the impact of new media viewing formats such as virtual reality and in each paragraph talking about how it has made an impact depending on the question and then stating how a theorist would agree with the impact it has made
Reply 8
I have no clue whatsoever however I think I'm prepared for it I worked out I only need 15 out of 80 marks (26 ums) to get a B overall in A2 Media on the whole.

Hi! How did you work this out? I am trying to find out how much UMS I need to get an A but I'm not quite sure how!
Reply 9
Original post by franpavis
What makes you think it will be on politics?
I have a hunch it'll be related to representations of women, but I'm most probably way out.

That could be it!
Our teacher went through the news during the time the exam would of been set Dec/Jan time, and the media was heavily based on politics during that time due to votes, figures like Donald Trump, ISIS etc.
Also, the 2015 exam was on identity so they may not do that again, not entirely sure haha
Reply 10
Original post by sgdanielsxo

Hi! For me I've looked at all my case studies involvement with New Digital Media (BBC) such as web 3.0, apps, social networking etc.
I will most likely do one example of NDM such as: BBC has moved to app platform to provide flexibility, portability etc. Per paragraph, and include any relevant terminology or theories.
I've also learnt a few general quotes from external sources surrounding the BBC
Original post by Pandorax
Hi! How did you work this out? I am trying to find out how much UMS I need to get an A but I'm not quite sure how!

Well I got my teacher to work out how many ums I currently have I think she got that from the aqa and I'm currently on 254 ums that's for AS Coursework, Exam & A2 Coursework. To get a B grade for my A2 exam you need a total of 280 ums and for an A you need 320 ums. So its only 26 ums I need to get a B which is equivalent to 15 out of 80 marks (you can check this on aqa ums mark converter). So to simplify it I need less than an E grade to get a B overall for Media this year.
That could be it!
Our teacher went through the news during the time the exam would of been set Dec/Jan time, and the media was heavily based on politics during that time due to votes, figures like Donald Trump, ISIS etc.
Also, the 2015 exam was on identity so they may not do that again, not entirely sure haha

Ahhhhh I see! Interesting, especially as its relevant now as well. I'm going to brush up on this a bit more haha:tongue: My teacher seems to things the identity and N/D media will come up again, not entirely sure. But it cant hurt to revise them even just for case study practise
Original post by franpavis
Ahhhhh I see! Interesting, especially as its relevant now as well. I'm going to brush up on this a bit more haha:tongue: My teacher seems to things the identity and N/D media will come up again, not entirely sure. But it cant hurt to revise them even just for case study practise

What do you mean identity and new and digital will come up cause they always come up as case study questions in Section B, or are you talking about in Section A
What do you mean identity and new and digital will come up cause they always come up as case study questions in Section B, or are you talking about in Section A

yeah section A! Q3 last year was on New/Digital
Reply 15
Quite looking forward to the exam, I love the identities essay! Fingers crossed it will be a nice section A! Statistically speaking we are owed a print product because there's not much chance (well, a slight one) that two moving image products would be on again.

Good luck for this exam guys you'll all be amazing xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Has anyone got any revision tips for section A on the exam? 2 days left !
Reply 17
Original post by Caith24
Has anyone got any revision tips for section A on the exam? 2 days left !

Just look into theories, terminology, and memorise examples (stereotypes and countertypes of identity etc. ) for topics like ethnicity, age, class etc.

Im hoping they don't throw in a curveball! Haha, if its not on politics or gender, I wonder if it will be on gaming?
They might make us the gaming year for the lolz, seeing as our GCSE and AS were both on gaming

Do you by any chance have any info surrounding this: The changing role of the distributor and exhibitor?
Reply 18
Just look into theories, terminology, and memorise examples (stereotypes and countertypes of identity etc. ) for topics like ethnicity, age, class etc.

Im hoping they don't throw in a curveball! Haha, if its not on politics or gender, I wonder if it will be on gaming?
They might make us the gaming year for the lolz, seeing as our GCSE and AS were both on gaming

Do you by any chance have any info surrounding this: The changing role of the distributor and exhibitor?

Thankyou!
I'm hoping its gender which comes up haha and https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/media_a2_theories_mest3 on that link there is a document which you can download which is really helpful you might be able to find something!
Can anyone help as to how to answer the section A questions I am FREAKING OUT. I never seem to hit the marks despite discussing relevant theory??

Quick Reply

Latest