The Student Room Group

C2 unofficial answers

Scroll to see replies

How many marks can I expect to lose for substituting x=17 for the perimeter question?
Has anyone just put all the answers together?
Original post by AstarAstarA
It's been 67/75 before (June 2006) and this paper was much easier than that one not just subjectively but with collective opinion

But it did not have 20 marks that many people could not really access. there was no optimization on that paper, and most of the questions were easy.
Need to know how many i dropped for question 9 , got that the last bit was a minimum and proved its a min, but got wrong value of X but subbed it in and got a value of P and also how many marks was binomial expansion value of B got it wrong but the rest of it right so how many dropped
I got 17 for something in that question, no clue what though
Anyone know if you can still get an A overall if you get a B in one paper in a level maths?? Im doing all six papers this year btw
Original post by Geoenthusiast
Anyone know if you can still get an A overall if you get a B in one paper in a level maths?? Im doing all six papers this year btw

Yes you can because the A grade is obtained by 480/600 UMS overall, particular module scores don't matter so long as they all add up to that total
I think I got 73/2 out of 75. Any ideas UMS wise for that?
I don't quite agree with the suggested grade boundaries here, 68 for an A seems really high. I found the paper to be quite easy myself and all my answers but one fit with the ones kindly provided here, so I suspect I've only lost a few marks through accuracy and a couple of method marks. With that being said I don't believe everyone sitting the paper will have found it so easy.

While the majority on here have voted the paper easy/ok, you've got to remember that this sample likely does not represent everyone who sat the exam, indeed you would expect users of this forum and its resources to perhaps be more knowledgeable and thus prefer this kind of paper and the questions that came up. Thus as a whole we may have found the questions easier than the rest of those who sat it and you therefore can't take our performance only to accurately predict the boundaries for this paper.(I've spoken to a fair few who kike myself found the majority of the paper to be very easy and yet others who found certain parts such as optimisation hard and couldn't do it which was 15 marks of the paper I believe)

You refer to the use of polls and compare previous poll results to the actual boundaries of last year, however because of the different people sitting the exam and the different usere voting there won't necessarily be consistency between these two years if that makes sense, it's just really unreliable and you'd need comparative results for many exams for the consistency between the student room polls and grade boundary predictions to be made clear. Additionally, the polls may not even be representative of the entire student room community who sat that paper, there may be many who found it difficult who have not and will not vote, you're merely using data provided by people who actually bother to use polls.

Furthermore, people's opinions on the paper do not necessarily represent performance, some may have found it hard while still scoring highly, vice versa.

With that being said I hope you can see why I don't put stock into the method by which the grade boundaries have been predicted.
If I myself was to have an estimate, it would have to be based purely on boundaries of previous papers and so I'd consider the fact that no C2 paper has ever been higher than 67 for an A and this paper while I myself thought it was okay did have some tricky proof with the optimisation question, thus this paper was not the easiest paper there has been I wouldn't say. The mean raw mark for an A on C2 is 61 and less than 25% of papers have been higher than 63 for an A.
With that being said, and this being a considerably easy paper I'd expect no more than 64 for an A, yet the boundaries to pass will be much higher also considering there were many easy marks to pick up on. Again, this is just an estimate. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AstarAstarA
Geometric:
b) 256
c) 1.602

Binomial:
A = 16
k = 7/2
B = 936

Integration:
S = 24.3

Trapezium:
a) 7
b) 20.75
c) R = 5.75

Factor theorem:
a) 5
c) (x + 2)(3x + 2)(2x - 1)

Differentiation(Q10):
a) 1/3PIx^2
d) Minimum = 120m
c) x = 16.63... => f''(x) = 0.437 > 0

Trig identities:
a) Theta = 8/15Pi , -2/15Pi
b) x = 194.5, 345.5

Circle:
a) root(34)
c) 3x + 5x - 95 = 0

Log:
i) (a - 5)/9
ii) -2.19

Likely* UMS:

68 - A
57 - B
49 - C
41 - D
36 - E
U

* Despite Turtlebunny's stupid criticism of the grade boundaries, I will still clarify how these figures were estimated:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4117033&highlight=C2+poll#primary_content

Look at the poll from this year and compare it to the poll last year. Now compare to the UMS from last year and notice how the poll vote numbers are similar so there is quite a good correlation. Given that this paper was easy, you can expect the grade boundaries to be very high. If you work out the exact ratios and coefficients using previous data, you will get similar results.

It's 100% not going to be 90% for an A
I found the c2 paper absolutely dreadful yet the c1 paper really easy :/
Original post by Geoenthusiast
I found the c2 paper absolutely dreadful yet the c1 paper really easy :/

Yh mee too
(edited 7 years ago)
This video literally sums up the C2 exam...

can anybody provide the link for edexcel IAL C12 june 2016 answers ?
Original post by richpanda
i got -2.19.

anyone get 9b+5 for a in terms of b?

The question was actually asking for b in terms of a
Original post by FakeDumbledore
Unlucky mate I've seen the official mark scheme and a few of these are wrong :/
Better luck next year in your resit...

do you know where i could find the official scheme? thanks :smile:
lol same
Original post by big willy
gr8 100%

Quick Reply