The Student Room Group

Arsey's solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Its cause they aint roadmen,
in the roadmen code of conduct it states
' 1/several roadmen only **** up 1/several not roadmen, never in any case do k and n roadman/not roadman **** each other up when k=/=n.

Posted from TSR Mobile

... You could show Useless Eustace a thing or 2
Original post by Student403
... You could show Useless Eustace a thing or 2

What do you know bout eustace, ur an engineer

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you know bout eustace, ur an engineer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didnt you tell me engineers are secretly mathmos
Didnt you tell me engineers are secretly mathmos

Mathmos code, tell non mathmos they are one of us and that they belong they never will. Especially engineers, ask sheldon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mathmos code, tell non mathmos they are one of us and that they belong they never will. Especially engineers, ask sheldon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheldon is a plonker
Do you have other mark schemes?
Original post by Fbiemad

The fact that someone ( @Mr M ) said it wastes student's time since they look for the answers is wrong!

I said the exact opposite of that!
Original post by Mr M
I said the exact opposite of that!

Sorry about that, i misunderstood. I removed the tag now.
Original post by Arsey
Edexcel have made it very clear that they do not wish for their papers, or solutions to their papers to be made available online.

The reason they give is that they would like schools to have the opportunity to use these papers for mocks etc. There is also a copyright issue.

My personal belief is that in the modern age that trying to prevent papers and solutions appearing online is futile. Now that they are no longer producing January papers, I would have thought that they could produce separate mock papers for schools to use. Nevertheless, I have to respect their wishes, so I will no longer upload solutions to this or any other website.

I would like to add that I have spent a lot of time and energy uploading solutions and responding to questions over the years, this was never done with self-aggrandisement in mind; I was just trying to help. I also found some of the discussions regarding the papers interesting and useful.

Furthermore, I was previously told by some people who run or ran this website that they had contacted Edexcel, who had no problem with past papers and solutions being uploaded to this website. Clearly that is not or no longer the case. So I would ask that others do not post papers or solutions to papers.

Finally, I would like to wish Edexcel good luck in preventing papers and solutions appearing, I just hope they have a very long whack-a-mole stick.

Good luck with your exams.

It has been a blast.

:wavey:

As a Head of Mathematics, I am extremely disappointed and will be expressing my dismay directly to Edexcel
Original post by Arsey
Edexcel have made it very clear that they do not wish for their papers, or solutions to their papers to be made available online.

<< Snip rest of good stuff >>

Finally, I would like to wish Edexcel good luck in preventing papers and solutions appearing, I just hope they have a very long whack-a-mole stick.

It has been a blast.

Thanks for all your excellent and selfless work on this.
I agree with all your points. Using past exam papers as mock exams is pointless as the guileful students will find a way to get the solutions to questions in seconds online.
EdExcel are missing a trick here. Through yours, and others, solutions this helps raise the profile of this exam board's exam paper. Schools and colleges will realise that good teaching and testing resources are freely available and will be more inclined to use (purchase) EdExcel papers and the mountain of branded teaching resources that Pearson offer for a price.
Secondly EdExcel / Pearson could produce a (paid for) service - along the lines of other products - which will generate past exam papers online - based on past exam papers but with changed numeric values. In that way multiple versions of the "same" paper and the related marks schemes to easily be created. The dishonest student will find it more difficult to find an exact match and wont be able to just copy a solution. I feel this would go some way to tackling the cheating that is rife among some students - not because many of them are inherently dishonest but the stakes are so high - when "B" grade is seen as a failure.
Given current technology that can be carried around in your pocket and can access within seconds the information that exam boards publish as if it was still only available on paper, we must find a way to create formative and summative assessments that accept and deal with the ways that undermine the value of these resources. I think the problem is worse in other subjects, and the solution trickier, where essays of a required standard can be purchased online. Technology feeds this problem - there must be ways for technology to tackle it.

Original post by Arsey

I just hope they have a very long whack-a-mole stick.

I have now officially stolen that phrase. Sue me.

Original post by Arsey

Agreed. But remember in the words of the widely misattributed quote "the more I practise, the luckier I get".

Clive
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Arsey

The reason they give is that they would like schools to have the opportunity to use these papers for mocks etc. There is also a copyright issue.

My personal belief is that in the modern age that trying to prevent papers and solutions appearing online is futile. Now that they are no longer producing January papers, I would have thought that they could produce separate mock papers for schools to use. Nevertheless, I have to respect their wishes, so I will no longer upload solutions to this or any other website.

I would like to add that I have spent a lot of time and energy uploading solutions and responding to questions over the years, this was never done with self-aggrandisement in mind; I was just trying to help. I also found some of the discussions regarding the papers interesting and useful.

Furthermore, I was previously told by some people who run or ran this website that they had contacted Edexcel, who had no problem with past papers and solutions being uploaded to this website. Clearly that is not or no longer the case. So I would ask that others do not post papers or solutions to papers.

It has been a blast.

Hope you surprise us with c3 and c4 solutions. :wink: if not then :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsey

It has been a blast.

ffs lowe listening to edexcel, you're better than that
Original post by Arsey

<< >>

<< >>

I have a friend who is a garden designer. A particular client has a rather large acreage that hosts moles. Every six months Mr. Molecatcher comes in and pursues the little critters. Mr. Mole and his family depart to other residence and return six months later when things have quietened down. Good business for mole-catchers.

Clive
Wait - if uploading the papers leads to copyright infringement, why can't Arsey just upload the model answers without the questions? Everyone who has sat the exam will vaguely remember the question and the numbers/working will help him/her remember it anyway. So, no problem for the student as such.

Sorry if this view is naive. It may still be "wrong" in Edexcel's eyes but it definitely won't be illegal to do so.

Furthermore, teachers should honestly stop being so lazy and come up with their own mock exams for schools. What's the point if they're just gonna throw past papers at students? I know that dedicated teachers would give harder and tailored mock exams, especially considering that in most cases the syllabus is not complete when the mock exams are assessed.

This is absolutely ridiculous. By the way Arsey, you're a legend.
Reply 174

It's just a shame Edexcel targetted a single user so unprofessionally

They didn't ??
Reply 175
Original post by Mr M
I've been contacted by Edexcel via TSR in the past and it was a genuine contact. I had told Arsey before that he shouldn't upload actual papers as it is a breach of copyright. Regarding not sharing answers online after the exam - well that simply can't be stopped. If Edexcel are worried about students using TSR to cheat on mocks then we could delete the summer exam threads after a period of time.

Hi M,

How is it going?

That was a long time ago and you were specifically referring to GCSE and I respected your wishes and stopped posting GCSE solutions. Regardless, after that two separate senior moderators for this site said that they had contacted Edexcel who had no problems with papers etc being uploaded. They said they had no problems with me uploading content.

It is just completely unrealistic of Edexcel to expect papers to be kept secret so that they can be used for Mocks, they cannot turn back the clock and pretend the internet doesn't exist.

I haven't posted solutions to C2 but several others now have. Edexcel should embrace and accept the change. I think the posting of solutions and discussions from those threads do more benefit than harm.

The fact is Edexcel are owned by Pearson, a huge multinational company. Edexcel charge a huge amount to school in entry fees, remarks etc. They have the capacity to quite easily write additional papers which could be used for mocks.

mute point now.
Reply 176
Original post by cliverlong
Thanks for all your excellent and selfless work on this.
I agree with all your points. Using past exam papers as mock exams is pointless as the guileful students will find a way to get the solutions to questions in seconds online.
EdExcel are missing a trick here. Through yours, and others, solutions this helps raise the profile of this exam board's exam paper. Schools and colleges will realise that good teaching and testing resources are freely available and will be more inclined to use (purchase) EdExcel papers and the mountain of branded teaching resources that Pearson offer for a price.
Secondly EdExcel / Pearson could produce a (paid for) service - along the lines of other products - which will generate past exam papers online - based on past exam papers but with changed numeric values. In that way multiple versions of the "same" paper and the related marks schemes to easily be created. The dishonest student will find it more difficult to find an exact match and wont be able to just copy a solution. I feel this would go some way to tackling the cheating that is rife among some students - not because many of them are inherently dishonest but the stakes are so high - when "B" grade is seen as a failure.
Given current technology that can be carried around in your pocket and can access within seconds the information that exam boards publish as if it was still only available on paper, we must find a way to create formative and summative assessments that accept and deal with the ways that undermine the value of these resources. I think the problem is worse in other subjects, and the solution trickier, where essays of a required standard can be purchased online. Technology feeds this problem - there must be ways for technology to tackle it.

I have now officially stolen that phrase. Sue me.

Agreed. But remember in the words of the widely misattributed quote "the more I practise, the luckier I get".

Clive

Agree Clive.

Maths and Physics tutor is a great site and a great resource for students. It saves teachers a lot of time.
Reply 177
Student403

It's just a shame Edexcel targetted a single user so unprofessionally

dpm

They didn't ??

Edexcel
That said,you may well have found a scan of the C1 paper and worked solutions already onthe Student Room. So that's next year's mock exam out of the bag and there'snot a lot we can do about this. Many of you are probably aware there's onecharacter who posts worked solutions within hours of the exam - not sure whathe believes he's achieving other than self-aggrandisement. There are many otherwebsites as well where this summer's papers will appear - we try to close themdown, but many are anonymous and it ends up being one big game of whack-a-mole.Copyright appears to be dead as far as past papers go, such is the democracy ofthe internet.

Who else are they referring to?
Original post by Arsey
Who else are they referring to?

PRSOM
Reply 179
Interesting views.
btw maths and physics tutor breaks every copyright law in the UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending