The Student Room Group

Work experience for potential veterinary science students

Hello everyone, I'm Jill and I've been a Veterinary Nurse for 18 years now (ouch), and I've also worked in Veterinary Education... I currently run my own online CPD company, ONCORE. Having worked in vet practice for so long, I've seen lots and lots of potential vet students come in for work experience, and it's always struck me that sometimes they may not have got the best out of it that they could. I'm really keen to help out vet students as much as I can - I have a great belief in nurturing those vets/nurses of the future! So I'd like to just offer- that if anyone has any questions they'd like to ask about work experience, tips on getting the most from it - that sort of thing - then feel free to pose your questions here.
Jill
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello all, well no questions as yet.. how about sharing current experiences? Good, bad, ugly - tips?

Work experience is not just a tick box for your application as I'm sure you all appreciate - it really is a VITAL part of your preliminary experiences in the vet profession...
I am going to apply vet course this Oct. For my work experience until now, I have 2.5 months working in small animals vet clinic, 20 days in wildlife rescue centre, 1 day for cleaning kennel of volunteering. I know these are not enough, so I plan to do some farming work coming few months, and probably spend a day working in abattoir which is included in requirement of the course
Searching from the Internet, I found interesting volunteering work from Project Abroad, working with local vet for around 2 weeks. I could go for it.
Last I am still struggled how could I have an experience related to big animal clinic.
How sound is that?
Hi there,
Sorry, I only just saw your message - I'd figured I'd get email notifications but didn't.

Can I ask where you are 12103763d? (funny name! Do people not use their real names on here?)

In terms of large animal - could you obtain experience at a mixed practice? +/- equine? Plus farm work will really help you out. And of course, more volunteering. I'd go for something a little less 'exciting' than abroad - there are LOADS of dog/cat/wildlife places that could do with hand.

Any guidance here from me is really intended to be more about how you can make the most of your experience, and specifically in small animal practice which is the environment I have always been in when seeing work exp students.

Jill
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jill Macdonald
Hi there,
Sorry, I only just saw your message - I'd figured I'd get email notifications but didn't.

If you go here you can set up instant email notifications for your watched threads :smile: .

I agree with what you've said to the above user, thank you for offering your advice.
Hi there,

Can I ask where you are 12103763d? (funny name! Do people not use their real names on here?)

In terms of large animal - could you obtain experience at a mixed practice? +/- equine? Plus farm work will really help you out. And of course, more volunteering. I'd go for something a little less 'exciting' than abroad - there are LOADS of dog/cat/wildlife places that could do with hand.

Any guidance here from me is really intended to be more about how you can make the most of your experience, and specifically in small animal practice which is the environment I have always been in when seeing work exp students.

Jill

I would definitely like to work in mixed practice but it's hard to find here where in Hong Kong, a small city with not many large animals.

In consistency of work, a vet doctor adviced me not working for a job just for continuously two weeks because it sounds like you just want to fulfil the experience requirement, not reflecting you got a passion for the job. He suggested doing for at least couple of months, not necessary to work day by day but once a week let's say. Do you think it is necessary to follow the vet's advice ?
Coz it is easier for me to remember this user name lol so I did not use my real name.
What would be good questions to ask when you're watching consults? Between consults, the vets always ask me if I have any questions but I never seem to be able to think of any!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
If you go here you can set up instant email notifications for your watched threads :smile: .

I agree with what you've said to the above user, thank you for offering your advice.

Thank you Little Tail Chaser - hopefully I've done that now!
Original post by 12103763d
I would definitely like to work in mixed practice but it's hard to find here where in Hong Kong, a small city with not many large animals.

In consistency of work, a vet doctor adviced me not working for a job just for continuously two weeks because it sounds like you just want to fulfil the experience requirement, not reflecting you got a passion for the job. He suggested doing for at least couple of months, not necessary to work day by day but once a week let's say. Do you think it is necessary to follow the vet's advice ?

Hi d (I'm going to call you that as the other name is too numerical for me - hope that's ok!)

I think your vet's advice is pretty sound. I don't think there's any harm in completing two week+ experience posts (being somewhere full time for a period will give you a different experience) but I do think seeing practice long term (as you suggest, one day per week for a long period) is also important. I think you need both to get a full picture.

If you do one day per week, I would suggest that you switch that day around a little - as an example - Mondays in practice in the UK always tend to be far busier than say a Friday, and what comes into a practice and the work done will depend on the day. Some days there may be more vets available, or certain clinics run, or certain procedures (eg orthopaedics) performed. Going on a different say may allow you to see new things.

Remember that seeing practice and work expereince isn't just about ticking the box, it is actually to help you decide if this is what you REALLY want, and if it's something that is going to fit with you.

Recent studies on vets and students are very worrying as show that many feel they made the wrong decision - I'm going to share that on a separate post.
Hi d (I'm going to call you that as the other name is too numerical for me - hope that's ok!)

I think your vet's advice is pretty sound. I don't think there's any harm in completing two week+ experience posts (being somewhere full time for a period will give you a different experience) but I do think seeing practice long term (as you suggest, one day per week for a long period) is also important. I think you need both to get a full picture.

If you do one day per week, I would suggest that you switch that day around a little - as an example - Mondays in practice in the UK always tend to be far busier than say a Friday, and what comes into a practice and the work done will depend on the day. Some days there may be more vets available, or certain clinics run, or certain procedures (eg orthopaedics) performed. Going on a different say may allow you to see new things.

Remember that seeing practice and work expereince isn't just about ticking the box, it is actually to help you decide if this is what you REALLY want, and if it's something that is going to fit with you.

Recent studies on vets and students are very worrying as show that many feel they made the wrong decision - I'm going to share that on a separate post.

Thanks for your comment!!
Original post by horsewithnoname
What would be good questions to ask when you're watching consults? Between consults, the vets always ask me if I have any questions but I never seem to be able to think of any!

That's a great question in itself!

Here's some advice. It can be really frustrating when you have students seeing practice, and they watch but don't seem to want to know anything. You ask if they have any questions, and they just shake their head. Ok, so you know they may be feeling a little overwhelmed, but hey, they're there to see practice and learn, and you want to help them! So that's why it's great that you want to know what to ask..

You can pick up and ask on areas such as:
- Terminology - there may be words used you didn't understand - don't be shy - ask! (we love questions)
- Conditions - there will generally be a condition identified/discussed during a non--routine consult - so ask about it. Even if the vet has (will have) discussed it with the client - there may be extra little bits you can pick up on
- Client interactions - ask about communication, why they think the client was upset or angry, how to ensure the client understands
- Finances - asking about costs of things shows you have considered this (many students don't). It's a massive component of what we do and what we need to discuss with our clients, so get into the swing of considering it.
- Handling animals - how to read body language, how to be safe, how to cause as little stress as possible, how to keep the client safe
- Normal parameters - so you see them take the temp/heart rate (HR), resp rate (RR) etc etc - what's normal - what does low and high mean?
- Drugs - what are the pros and cons of the flea and worm treatments - what are the prescribed drugs for - any side effects?
- Diagnostics - why an xray and not an ultrasound, what will the blood test show, why do we want to send a sample away to the lab?

- There's just a few examples to give you some ideas.

Be prepared to read up - learning isn't about being told something, sometimes it's about learning how to find the information.

Hope that helps.
Jill
Original post by 12103763d
Thanks for your comment!!

No problem :smile:
Hi Jill, I'm aiming to apply to uni to do veterinary next year and have work experience building up steadily, I have a week in a small practice, a kennels, a stables and a period of two months doing lambing, I've loved it so far except at some of them I simply felt like free labour and didn't learn much about the vet side of it. I have another 4 weeks lined up at another small animals practice, a zoo and a farm. However I am a struggling to find large animal practice work experience due to the insurance and they places having priority to actual veterinary students. Any other experience I should include? Thanks
Original post by NastassjaF
Hi Jill, I'm aiming to apply to uni to do veterinary next year and have work experience building up steadily, I have a week in a small practice, a kennels, a stables and a period of two months doing lambing, I've loved it so far except at some of them I simply felt like free labour and didn't learn much about the vet side of it. I have another 4 weeks lined up at another small animals practice, a zoo and a farm. However I am a struggling to find large animal practice work experience due to the insurance and they places having priority to actual veterinary students. Any other experience I should include? Thanks

Hey I wouldn't worry about LA practices too much if you can't get them, the universities understand it's hard to get and won't turn you away for lack of LA vet shadowing. I notice you don't have any experience with cows: maybe try a dairy? Failing this go for beef farm placement if you can. This addition would cover you for the basics, I would try and make sure you have a total of four weeks of WEX in a vets as I'm sure some universities ask for this (I'd have to check but you can't have too much WEX as long as you're learning from it 😉 )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Jill,

I am applying for veterinary nursing in September and I have a conditional offer, one of the conditions is work experience. Since my interview back in December I have not managed to gain any at all :frown:
I am really panicking about what could happen to my offer but I'm trying to get some experience in the next few months. I have contacted various training practices in my area but don't have any places available or have got back to me, I was wondering if you have any tips? :frown:

Thanks.
Original post by NastassjaF

Hi there, sorry, notifications still not working :frown:

It sounds as though you have quite a good selection there, and I think Treen's suggestiion of dairy is a sound idea, and also to do more SA.

Just a bit of advice - please don't think of it as free labour - you are there to 'see practice' and that is far better achieved by making yourself useful and getting stuck in than just standing and watching, trust me. Just ensure that you make use of learning opportunities when you can - so if something interesting happens, be ready with the questions, don't get in the way, and offer to help where you can. I've mentioned it before, but I think doing a day a week long term works really well. You get to know the team better, and they get to know you better too.

Hope that helps,
Jill
Original post by JaffaNeko
Hello Jill,

I am applying for veterinary nursing in September and I have a conditional offer, one of the conditions is work experience. Since my interview back in December I have not managed to gain any at all :frown:
I am really panicking about what could happen to my offer but I'm trying to get some experience in the next few months. I have contacted various training practices in my area but don't have any places available or have got back to me, I was wondering if you have any tips? :frown:

Thanks.

Hi there,
Sadly, that's a story I've heard many a time. I'm afraid that if your offer is conditional on work expereince, then work experience you will need, or they will revoke the offer :frown:

Work epxereince is there for lots of very good reasons, but a lot of it is to ensure that you want to actually pursue a career in veterinary/nursing. Until you've spent some time in practice and felt the tough side of the job, you can't truly say that.

I presume that it is actually a placement you are looking for, rather than work experience? They are quite different. A placement means that the practice has to invest in someone to train you whilst you are at the practice, and help you with your NPL etc.

Ok, so how to achieve it.
1) Where do you live?
2) Look online and find all of the practices in the area. If you can actually visit them, then do this, as nothing works bettter than being bright, smart and with good communciation skills and actually being stood in front of them. Take a short CV with you, to show you're serious and tell them what you can do. Speak for yourself (I say this because you wouldn't beleive how many come in with their mum to speak for them - a no-no!)
3) If you can't go in, send an email, but make sure it's well constructed, with no spelling errors, typos or grammatical blunders. I've seen some real horrors in my time, and I can tell you straight off, they go straight in the recycle bin.
4) Go back to the college and ask for their advice. They might have a bank of practices that they can refer you to.

It really is tough, it's a massive problem in the industry, but at the end of the day, if there's limited placements then practices are going to pick the best - so make sure you're one of the best! Don't give up - if you want to be a nurse you'll get there in the end don't worry :smile:

Smile, communication, smart, attention to detail.

Let me know how you get on.
Jill
Hi Jill,
This is such a nice thing for you to do! To take time out of your busy days to help the vet/vet nursing students of the future :smile: One of my favourite things about work experience has been meeting so many different people that are all committed to the same profession- but they all have different stories to tell! How did you get into vet nursing? What is your favourite thing about the job? (Sorry for the questions, I just always ask any vets or nurses I meet about themselves!)
So far I have undertaken 2 weeks lambing, 3 months on a dairy farm working weekends and in the holidays (my poor mums washing machine!), a few weeks at a small animal practice and as many odd days as I can helping out with local farmers. I have owned horses all of my life, have two weeks at a stables coming up, as well as 2 weeks at an Equine practice, one week at a mixed practice and one week at a small animal practice. I am also attempting to sort work experience at an abattoir, as well as a week at Newmarket and a few weeks at other assorted placements (kennels, catteries, animal rescue), and maybe a few weeks abroad (although I see you have already addressed this). I am also thinking about taking a gap year and absolutely STUFFING my application with work experience- a lot of the vet students I have spoken to were reapps, and they said a year off helped them mature and gain more knowledge of the working veterinary world. Could it do any harm? When you say that you see students don't get the most out of work experience, what do you mean? And how can I stop this from happening in my own personal experiences?
I am really sorry for the long message, and thank you for taking the time to read it!
(edited to say, I should have about 14 weeks at the time of application in October)
(edited 7 years ago)
Your question about students not getting the most out of work experience - I am relating to the many times I have seen students come into practice, stand in a corner, not say anything, not ask questions, not offer to help, not muck in - and just take 'seeing practice' far too literally!

Ok, so no touching animals, no touching anything you aren't authorised to in fact; no talking to clients and no butting in - that's not going to work - but get yourselves involved with what's going on as much as you can do.

Ask if you can ask questions, and ask them - we (most of us) love it! Offer to clean up. Offer to take the dog for a wee outside (on a lead, in a contained area). Offer to make tea. Go and get the mop before you're asked! Empty the bin if it's full. All the stuff that we do all the time, but really appreciate a bit of help with. In return, the practice team are far more likely to try and help you.

On the flip side - imagine you work in a practice, and there's someone there watching you, silently, not saying anything, not showing any apparent interest. It's hard and a little awkward - so make it easier for the team, and far more benficial for you. Does that make sense?

Jill

Latest

Trending

Trending