The Student Room Group

English literature OCR F661- May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Did anyone do Frankenstein or Emily Dickinson?
2 critics are better than none though! Good luck to you, I hope you get the grade you want on results day
Original post by EFH050598
I did Edward Thomas! thought it was an odd choice of poem! how did you find it?

I was actually hoping that No one so much as you would come up so I was really happy that it did! Which other poems did you compare it to??
Original post by Phun
Any one know of good revision material for the English literature exam on Monday for 'Of Mice and men' and 'An Inspector Calls'? Anything will do, I just want to revise something outside of doing all the past papers I can get my hands on.

Is this for the GCSE exam? Have you tried all the websites like sparknotes and enotes? You may also be able to pick up yorknotes books about each text on Amazon or at Waterstones. I personally find it really helpful to look through past/example essays to help structure my own and to get a gist for what the examiners are looking for
Reply 44
Original post by elizabella
Is this for the GCSE exam? Have you tried all the websites like sparknotes and enotes? You may also be able to pick up yorknotes books about each text on Amazon or at Waterstones. I personally find it really helpful to look through past/example essays to help structure my own and to get a gist for what the examiners are looking for

Yes, I am doing GCSES. Thanks for the ideas I will defiantly be looking into spark notes and will continue to look at top band answers. But unfortunately it is a bit late for this exam to buy books but i will try to get some for my next exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mp2305
Did anyone do Frankenstein or Emily Dickinson?

I did frankenstein
Reply 46
Original post by alicec11
I did frankenstein

How did you find it?
Hey everyone. Just wondering how everyones Resit went. I did Emily Dickinson and Jane Eyre. The Dickinson poem at first i didn't like because it was the one of the poems i knew the least, but once i got writing about this 'extreme experience' all these ideas flooded in! And the Jane Eyre question 'Characters are motivated in Jane Eyre by conscience rather than by love' was just amazing!!! The only thing i'm worried about it that i may not have put enough context in the Jane Eyre, but otherwise it was a great exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adamminaj1998
Hey everyone. Just wondering how everyones Resit went. I did Emily Dickinson and Jane Eyre. The Dickinson poem at first i didn't like because it was the one of the poems i knew the least, but once i got writing about this 'extreme experience' all these ideas flooded in! And the Jane Eyre question 'Characters are motivated in Jane Eyre by conscience rather than by love' was just amazing!!! The only thing i'm worried about it that i may not have put enough context in the Jane Eyre, but otherwise it was a great exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the same Jane Eyre question! I didn't really put in any context other than the original name of the book and the Byronic hero thing about Rochester. I only put one critic in though which isn't enough but I put interpretations of other readers which counts to Ao3 anyway doesn't it? What did you write about?
Original post by amykate06
I did the same Jane Eyre question! I didn't really put in any context other than the original name of the book and the Byronic hero thing about Rochester. I only put one critic in though which isn't enough but I put interpretations of other readers which counts to Ao3 anyway doesn't it? What did you write about?

For context, i put Byronic Hero for Rochester too, then i put about Jane being a Victorian Governess, and something about Christianity... Although i'm not sure if i evaluated these points enough... Critics i got 3 in, but again i don't know if i'v done them justice in analysing them... And yeah different interpretations like films, plays etc. count as AO4. I did my essay based on characters - i said Jane find a balance between conscience and love, that Rochester is motivated by pure love, that St John is motivated consciously by religion, and the Blanche is motivated by neither, only by greed and nobility. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mp2305
How did you find it?

I'm not really sure how I did tbh - I talked about how the creature is treated with injustice which drives him to commit other unjust acts such as killing William and framing Justine. And then I talked about the unjust act of killing the female creature, which ultimately leads to further acts of injustice as the creature seeks retribution by killing Elizabeth but I;m not sure how coherent my argument was as I was a bit thrown by both the poem in Section A and the questions in Section B
For context, i put Byronic Hero for Rochester too, then i put about Jane being a Victorian Governess, and something about Christianity... Although i'm not sure if i evaluated these points enough... Critics i got 3 in, but again i don't know if i'v done them justice in analysing them... And yeah different interpretations like films, plays etc. count as AO4. I did my essay based on characters - i said Jane find a balance between conscience and love, that Rochester is motivated by pure love, that St John is motivated consciously by religion, and the Blanche is motivated by neither, only by greed and nobility. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds really good!! I started off by talking about St John being motivated by conscience/religion similar to you and how he represses love and then talked about how Jane and Rochester and motivated by love but also how Jane still makes conscious decisions. Then I talked about how she uses a satirical style to present Brocklehurt being motivated by conscience 😊
Original post by amykate06
That sounds really good!! I started off by talking about St John being motivated by conscience/religion similar to you and how he represses love and then talked about how Jane and Rochester and motivated by love but also how Jane still makes conscious decisions. Then I talked about how she uses a satirical style to present Brocklehurt being motivated by conscience 😊

Sounds like we put similar things! I like the Brocklehurst point, wish i had thought about that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like we put similar things! I like the Brocklehurst point, wish i had thought about that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I thought it was a great question!! Thought the one about narrative was a bit vague so I'm glad they had a nice one on there :smile:hope you get the results you want!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending