The Student Room Group

AQA COMP1 RETAKE exam 2016

Hello All,

I'm retaking the COMP1 Exam this year which is actually a different exam to what most kids are taking for COMP1 as the preliminary code is different.

The preliminary code for this exam is the 'AQA Reversal' board game.

If there is anybody else doing this who has information to share about the code or would like to skype/chat about analysing the code and what could turn up that would be super super appreciated!

Would love a reply from anybody else retaking :smile:

Thanks,

-Skeptyle
Reply 1
Original post by Skeptyle
Hello All,

I'm retaking the COMP1 Exam this year which is actually a different exam to what most kids are taking for COMP1 as the preliminary code is different.

The preliminary code for this exam is the 'AQA Reversal' board game.

If there is anybody else doing this who has information to share about the code or would like to skype/chat about analysing the code and what could turn up that would be super super appreciated!

Would love a reply from anybody else retaking :smile:

Thanks,

-Skeptyle

Hi, this is my first year of Computing and it is quite hard from what I have done so far. I think I have a problem understanding the actual program of the board game; so I'd really need to analyse the program in depth in the coming two weeks or so.

I found a few questions from another thread that may come up or questions they may ask in the Skeleton Program section:

1. More menu options (there are always more menu options... maybe the multiplayer thing mentioned below?)
2. Scores section/ High scores (seems unlikely as it has already come up and there is no obvious structure already
in the code to support this.)
3. Extend board size parameters
4. Something to do with enter name section (seems obsolete. Maybe a player1/ player2 and letters to match (so
rather than "H" and "C" "K" and "M" or whatever.)
5. Two player mode
6. Loop for wrong coordinate values (The programme already loops for 0,0. Presumably because it is technically
in the array.)
7. Something to do with the flip def/ mechanic (ie. three ways to flip or fixing a flaw etc.)
8. Save the game and the players turn
9. load the game and continue playing
10. fix the crash when you enter a letter for co-ordinates
11. display the actual score of player, currently it just says "well done".
12. allow diagonal capture (probably the last question which is worth 10 marks)
13. let the player skip a turn
Original post by Jozanic
Hi, this is my first year of Computing and it is quite hard from what I have done so far. I think I have a problem understanding the actual program of the board game; so I'd really need to analyse the program in depth in the coming two weeks or so.

I found a few questions from another thread that may come up or questions they may ask in the Skeleton Program section:

1. More menu options (there are always more menu options... maybe the multiplayer thing mentioned below?)
2. Scores section/ High scores (seems unlikely as it has already come up and there is no obvious structure already
in the code to support this.)
3. Extend board size parameters
4. Something to do with enter name section (seems obsolete. Maybe a player1/ player2 and letters to match (so
rather than "H" and "C" "K" and "M" or whatever.)
5. Two player mode
6. Loop for wrong coordinate values (The programme already loops for 0,0. Presumably because it is technically
in the array.)
7. Something to do with the flip def/ mechanic (ie. three ways to flip or fixing a flaw etc.)
8. Save the game and the players turn
9. load the game and continue playing
10. fix the crash when you enter a letter for co-ordinates
11. display the actual score of player, currently it just says "well done".
12. allow diagonal capture (probably the last question which is worth 10 marks)
13. let the player skip a turn

Hey!!!

Thank you so much for this reply I really appreciate it, going to try find the other trhead now :smile:
I have solutions for all of the questions here using VB.NET If anyones using that language too and wanted me to list them. The skipping a turn (as well as quitting a game) isn't very elegant but can be done. As far as I remember from last year, it doesn't matter how nice the code looks as long as it produces the correct outcome.
Original post by ollycostello
I have solutions for all of the questions here using VB.NET If anyones using that language too and wanted me to list them. The skipping a turn (as well as quitting a game) isn't very elegant but can be done. As far as I remember from last year, it doesn't matter how nice the code looks as long as it produces the correct outcome.

Thats very kind of you but I'm afraid I'm doing Python and I'm quite terrible at reading other code or even pseudo code lol.

Appreciate it though! :smile:
Hi another person here doing the comp 1 resit it's a bit of an odd code as there's no real obvious questions so I think it's gonna be a case of loading and saving 👌😁
Could I have the code please, resitting comp1 this year and haven't looked at this years preliminary code much yet :s
Original post by hannahk777
Could I have the code please, resitting comp1 this year and haven't looked at this years preliminary code much yet :s

Its ;listed here, along with some potential questions:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2016_Exam_Resit
Reply 8
Sup guys, I'm retaking too cos I'm a bum when it comes to computing, taking it was the biggest regret of my life. Anyways, I'm stuck on this bit of the code like what it does and stuff. Stuff like the Row/ColumnDirection and Row/ColumnCount is confusing me. If anyone could explain what is happening here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sorry if the pic is small idk how to make it bigger but if you click it it should enlarge and you should see it properly bla bla thanks.comp1 code.png
Reply 9

Lad if you could list your solutions to these, it would be absolutely mint pal
Hey, we should make a whatsapp group for this!
I'm retaking comp1 along with comp2 and taking the comp3 exam this year.

I'm doing C#, so if anyone wants the solution in C# do ask.
Thread on this similar topic can be found here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3927169
Original post by jamaalm
Lad if you could list your solutions to these, it would be absolutely mint pal

PM your email, I've made a document with step by step solutions (VB.NET)
Reply 12
Original post by KnightCode
Hey, we should make a whatsapp group for this!
I'm retaking comp1 along with comp2 and taking the comp3 exam this year.

I'm doing C#, so if anyone wants the solution in C# do ask.
Thread on this similar topic can be found here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3927169

Yeah I'm pretty much the same, retaking COMP1, COMP2 and doing Comp3 this year. Although I'm doing Python.
Original post by Teee123
Yeah I'm pretty much the same, retaking COMP1, COMP2 and doing Comp3 this year. Although I'm doing Python.

Do you want to revise together ? :wink:
I have already made a comp3 revision booket, doing a comp2 atm and already have a comp1 from online.
If you got any solutions in python do post here
Reply 14
Original post by KnightCode
Do you want to revise together ? :wink:
I have already made a comp3 revision booket, doing a comp2 atm and already have a comp1 from online.
If you got any solutions in python do post here

Yeah sure. Thing is the theory stuff is fine for me, apart from COMP3 but ive hardly started revising for it. The main issue for me is the skeleton code cos programming is my weakest point.

Btw check out the wikibooks page, it's got some useful stuff. But i think it's a different code from our one(COMP1 retakes). If someone could just check that'd be cool. Thanks.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2016_Exam/Skeleton_code_2016_Problems(section_D_in_comp1_and_most_likely_section_c_in_paper1_this_year)

EDIT: just saw the start of the thread, yeah it's a different code. Man that's a stinker.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Teee123
Yeah sure. Thing is the theory stuff is fine for me, apart from COMP3 but ive hardly started revising for it. The main issue for me is the skeleton code cos programming is my weakest point.

Btw check out the wikibooks page, it's got some useful stuff. But i think it's a different code from our one(COMP1 retakes). If someone could just check that'd be cool. Thanks.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2016_Exam/Skeleton_code_2016_Problems(section_D_in_comp1_and_most_likely_section_c_in_paper1_this_year)

EDIT: just saw the start of the thread, yeah it's a different code. Man that's a stinker.

this is the wiki for this year: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2016_Exam_Resit
Reply 17
Lads I'm confused and I'd appreciate any help. I know this is python but even if someone could explain to me the general idea of what is happening I'd greatly appreciate it. I understand the majority of the code but it's this bit that i just don't get.

compcode.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending