The Student Room Group

I hate working in McDonalds- rant!

I've been working in McDonalds for the last 4-5 weeks, and I can honestly say, I detest it with a passion.

I know many people here will tell me, 'well you don't like it quit', and while that might be a attractive prospect, I can't because I am financially tied to the job with regards bills and the like.

I only took this damn job due to wanting to move away from my family and to live with my partner, which I am now by the way- to then look for a graduate role, which I'm also doing.

Now-- on to describing what is the Mc-**** job:

Managers speak to you like utter rubbish, and the store culture is such that they ask you to do something, if your not in the vicinity or you don't hear them your regarded as 'ignorant' and they have a good bitch about you despite you only been around the corner.

Its like not only do they bitch behind your back, its done slyly *or not so* in front of you, often when your feet away from them. Its so obvious its about you.

Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too.

They just treated him like garbage. He'd put a full bag down as another colleague asked him too, and despite him telling manager that, she still got angry.

He simply told her: "well you can't win either way, you don't put any down you get a telling off, and if you do you get it''.

Ultimately, if you can't do your jobs in those orders, clean down work surfaces, juggle tasks, and in other words dance to the sound of their tune your seen as incompetent.

Well you know what, I've had it with this degrading, depreciating job where managers act like little children, openly slating your colleagues calling them 'idiots' in front of me, and displaying playground bullying tactics despite been like in their forties.

I've had other jobs before and I've never had this treatment anywhere else. I get that its a fast food place, they expect things to happen fast. However, I've been here 6 weeks, I'm not going to be the fastest worker ever!

Other times, I've been asked to do particular tasks, and I've told said managers I don't know how to do this, and they give me dirty looks, as though I should know- and its like 'well, nobody has shown me this stuff'. I had to ask a Crew Member to show me and he was lovely, diligent and took his time to show me- better than any manager.

To say they have one of the best training programmes as a large corp company is pathetic, because our store is shocking.

Like I say, in my other jobs I've been regarded as very good at what I did. Bare to mind, that was a different environment. Here I'm treated like the guy that is considered last, as they all think im ****

Rant over.

Anybody else experience similar? Anything to add?

Scroll to see replies

Good rant. All the more reason to focus on improving your job search skills.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Good rant. All the more reason to focus on improving your job search skills.

I quite agree with you Sir!

At least I'll have the weekend off to make headway with my search! With working all these hours it is hard to focus. When I get in I just want to have a drink and de-stress.

So damn fed up of working in a job like this, where frankly, I gain nothing of value in the terms of employment prospects- all the while enduring bull****!

Okay, its another job added to my resume (even though I've only held down two jobs- first job I held for 8 years so pretty good track record as a loyal employee)- above and beyond that, it isn't relevant to my field.
Original post by Anonymous
I quite agree with you Sir!

At least I'll have the weekend off to make headway with my search! With working all these hours it is hard to focus. When I get in I just want to have a drink and de-stress.

So damn fed up of working in a job like this, where frankly, I gain nothing of value in the terms of employment prospects- all the while enduring bull****!

Okay, its another job added to my resume (even though I've only held down two jobs- first job I held for 8 years so pretty good track record as a loyal employee)- above and beyond that, it isn't relevant to my field.

Genuinely it was a good rant. I wasnt being flippant. It means using the power of the rant to motivate you to get out. Some workplaces are rubbish, so go about finding a better one. You get the money. You can also channel the rant into becoming good at your job. Other people survive it, so just use it.
I've been working in McDonalds for the last 4-5 weeks, and I can honestly say, I detest it with a passion.

I know many people here will tell me, 'well you don't like it quit', and while that might be a attractive prospect, I can't because I am financially tied to the job with regards bills and the like.

I only took this damn job due to wanting to move away from my family and to live with my partner, which I am now by the way- to then look for a graduate role, which I'm also doing.

Managers speak to you like utter rubbish, and the store culture is such that they ask you to do something, if your not in the vicinity or you don't hear them your regarded as 'ignorant' and they have a good bitch about you despite you only been around the corner.

Its like not only do they bitch behind your back, its done slyly *or not so* in front of you, often when your feet away from them. Its so obvious its about you.

Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too.

They just treated him like garbage. He'd put a full bag down as another colleague asked him too, and despite him telling manager that, she still got angry.

He simply told her: "well you can't win either way, you don't put any down you get a telling off, and if you do you get it''.

Ultimately, if you can't do your jobs in those orders, clean down work surfaces, juggle tasks, and in other words dance to the sound of their tune your seen as incompetent.

Well you know what, I've had it with this degrading, depreciating job where managers act like little children, openly slating your colleagues calling them 'idiots' in front of me, and displaying playground bullying tactics despite been like in their forties.

I've had other jobs before and I've never had this treatment anywhere else. I get that its a fast food place, they expect things to happen fast. However, I've been here 6 weeks, I'm not going to be the fastest worker ever!

Other times, I've been asked to do particular tasks, and I've told said managers I don't know how to do this, and they give me dirty looks, as though I should know- and its like 'well, nobody has shown me this stuff'. I had to ask a Crew Member to show me and he was lovely, diligent and took his time to show me- better than any manager.

To say they have one of the best training programmes as a large corp company is pathetic, because our store is shocking.

Like I say, in my other jobs I've been regarded as very good at what I did. Bare to mind, that was a different environment. Here I'm treated like the guy that is considered last, as they all think im ****

Rant over.

Lmao. I work at Mcdonalds too. I hate it....end of.

I'm still studying so its only something temporary but i'm looking for a new job right now..

GRRR!! the thought of going back after exams depresses me so much... i cant even deal.
Retail, fast-food etc are all crappy places to work. Management usually kiss upper-managements ass to get their position, and are usually lacking competence and/or knowledge of leadership. Sadly, a good amount of them seem to possess bad attitudes, as seems to be the case here. All it does is serve to create a poor working environment with frustrated staff members.

I worked in retail for about three years and hated it with a passion. It just wasn't me. I never liked how the company was run, their attitude towards colleagues at the lower end of the chain and nor did I like upper management's complete ineptitude. One time the store I worked for was understaffed big-time, so we did a recruitment drive; all stores have a budget and in our case we had enough to hire one person. We did, only to be soon after told that we had to phone them up saying that they could no longer have the job because our budget wasn't big enough. Not only that, but no less than a week later the same guy who told us we couldn't recruit this person came to the store and told us we were severely understaffed and we needed to do something about it. It was an absolute joke, and I was only a Sales Adviser. Another time I had a customer come right up into my face threatening to kick the **** out of me after my shift. My colleagues did nothing to intervene, and in fact my manager was outside watching the whole thing.

That said, these businesses do need to accomplish certain things to thrive and management do have the right to push their staff to doing their job. I think sometimes people mistake managements assertiveness as arrogance or poor behavior, but at the end of the day they have a job to do too.
Reply 6
Find a job in high end retail, some fancy brand, that will also pay commission :wink:

Rant over.

I have one thing to add- you shoulda gone to college
Original post by PC.police

They're looking for a graduate job, can you not read?
Original post by KatieBlogger
They're looking for a graduate job, can you not read?

didnt bother reading all dat bs
I really sympathise for you, retail and fast-food positions genuinely do sound nightmareish. However, as already mentioned, use this as an ability to search for a better job.

And I know it's hard, but try to see the job in a more positive way. Even if you hate it, try and find good parts of the day or at the very least just take a neutral view - don't focus solely on the negatives as it will only make the situation worse for you.
Chuckled to myself when I read:

"and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets?"

The question itself is simply amusing. If someone asked me how long on those nuggets, I'd probably laugh out loud and respond:

"The nuggets are done. Just go and look in the toilet. I left them in there hot, steamy and ready to eat"

lmao

Might be worth keeping your opinion and shoving it up your ass then :smile:
Working in a high-paced environment such as McDonald's can often be a cut-throat environment, unfortunately. If you are already a graduate, the best thing that you could do would be to look for a better position within McDonald's within another store, such as a supervisor or (assistant) store manager maybe?
The only solution i can see is to poo in the bag of nuggets

no its not worth keeping my opinion and shoving it up your ass, u dumb ****

Clearly you have the emotional maturity and attention-span of a seven year old.

Perhaps it is you who needs to further educate yourself.
its not me its u LOL LAMO DGI XD BYZ KZ DJI KEK SPEK

As the poster below stated, I went to University and graduated with a 2:1, so I'm hardly under-educated.
As the poster below stated, I went to University and graduated with a 2:1, so I'm hardly under-educated.

go to canada and get a coop program u get paid tons google it
its not me its u LOL LAMO DGI XD BYZ KZ DJI KEK SPEK

PC.Police seriously- go away and entertain yourself with some tin foil or something. You're far too immature for this conversation.

Quick Reply