The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Civil Rights America 19th/20th Century - 2016

Hey, I have not seen a thread devoted to OCR history and in particular, America.

Feel free to post predictions of the exam questions. advice and any revision material that you feel could be of use for others.

I am personally hoping for a turning point question on African Americans and Native Americans as I feel turning point questions are the best for structure.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think Native Americans are going to come up this year as they didn't come up last year. I hope Workers aren't going to come up as Im only revising for African Americans, Natives and women. I think its better to revise three areas well than 4 areas more broadly.
Original post by allexxz
I think Native Americans are going to come up this year as they didn't come up last year. I hope Workers aren't going to come up as Im only revising for African Americans, Natives and women. I think its better to revise three areas well than 4 areas more broadly.

I recall women and trade unions coming up last year. I think the other one was African Americans.

I agree that Native Americans are going to come up. They've always asked an African Americans question bar once, so it's a tie between women and trade unions for the third question (I think).
I definitely need to skip a topic but I'm not sure which one, I'm so not ready for this exam! :s-smilie:
And if anyone has any revision material or any tips please let me (and the thread) know! :smile:
Reply 4
Hey guys have any of you got an practice essays B/A grade?
I need help with my structure in particular synthesis
Original post by ArcticSlayer
I definitely need to skip a topic but I'm not sure which one, I'm so not ready for this exam! :s-smilie:
And if anyone has any revision material or any tips please let me (and the thread) know! :smile:

I have some revision sources but it won't upload: is that because the fie is too big. I'm not sure.
How are you guys revising for this? Personally I am splitting everything into soc, econ and pol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all,
Quick question: what factors would you divide this question into:
How united where American women in the support of the issue of gender equality in the period 1865-1992?

I only have 1 factor and that's the focus of the various campaigners, etc. Would you also do how divided they were in terms of what women wanted as a whole - seperate spheres, vote, work, etc?

I'm just not sure on the factors so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by marty_marts
Hey all,
Quick question: what factors would you divide this question into:
How united where American women in the support of the issue of gender equality in the period 1865-1992?

I only have 1 factor and that's the focus of the various campaigners, etc. Would you also do how divided they were in terms of what women wanted as a whole - seperate spheres, vote, work, etc?

I'm just not sure on the factors so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I would do different campaigns personally. So for abortion, Roe v. Wade and the reaction to that by religious groups and Phyllis Schlafly. Other divisions include prohibition and anti-feminists on the ERA. That's just a few points. Hope that helps.
does anyone have or know where i can find the past paper from 2015? I've looked everywhere :frown:
what themes are people doing for trade unions? I think i'm doing unionisation, individual working conditions and the rights to collective bargaining
Original post by ribbon123
How are you guys revising for this? Personally I am splitting everything into soc, econ and pol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm basically trying to do lots of practice essays but i have psychology 2 days before! ahh
does anyone have the past paper for 2015. I can't find it?
Original post by sharan1997
does anyone have the past paper for 2015. I can't find it?

I don't have the paper itself but my teacher gave me the 3 questions that came up.
· ‘The Supreme Court had more influence on the African American struggle for civil rights than any than any other branch of government’ To what extent do you agree with this view of the period from 1865 to 1992?
· Assess the view that trade union and labour rights in the USA changed more significantly in the 1980s than at any other time in the period from 1865 to1992.
· ‘The reasons for opposition to gender equality remained the same throughout the period from 1865 to 1992.’ How far do you agree with this view?

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Hihihi123
what themes are people doing for trade unions? I think i'm doing unionisation, individual working conditions and the rights to collective bargaining

I'm doing recognition (from employers and gov), membership, solidarity (within individual unions - so stuff like racial discrimination etc, and between unions - like the PATCO disputes).

Hope that helps.
Original post by sharan1997
does anyone have or know where i can find the past paper from 2015? I've looked everywhere :frown:

These were the questions:
· ‘The Supreme Court had more influence on the African American struggle for civil rights than any than any other branch of government’ To what extent do you agree with this view of the period from 1865 to 1992?
· Assess the view that trade union and labour rights in the USA changed more significantly in the 1980s than at any other time in the period from 1865 to1992.
· ‘The reasons for opposition to gender equality remained the same throughout the period from 1865 to 1992.’ How far do you agree with this view?
Original post by Eryka
Hey guys have any of you got an practice essays B/A grade?
I need help with my structure in particular synthesis

I've been getting above 90% for all my essays I can help you if you'd like :smile:
Original post by marty_marts
I'm doing recognition (from employers and gov), membership, solidarity (within individual unions - so stuff like racial discrimination etc, and between unions - like the PATCO disputes).

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Could you possibly send me some of your trade union essays? I'm struggling a bit with it..
Reply 18
[QUOTE=marty_marts;65376663]I've been getting above 90% for all my essays I can help you if you'd like :smile:

Omg thank you so much- my teacher is pretty useless and he gives me A's all the time but when I check the mark scheme I'm not doing enough synthesis and judgement. If you could perhaps send me a few essays on any topic just so I can how it's structured it would be great help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending