The Student Room Group

How would you feel about 600 UMS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'd feel very good...I came close..in Maths and Further Maths I had 9 100s, an 87, a 95 and a 96 to get 587 in the former and 591 in the latter. Loads of people get 100% in Maths, the combo of 1200 UMS is much more uncommon if I recall correctly, if it ever happens at all that is..don't know if anyone's ever got 1800 with Additional Maths in the mix too lol

I have no idea what is Additional maths but I would like to do it...😂
Original post by WhiteBerry.
Firstly, it's really really difficult to achieve 600 UMS. Like, I think there's a significant difference between being able to achieve 95 in each exam and 100 in each exam.

That level of attention and accuracy isn't present in most students (myself, included). I could make tiny mistakes like copying my previous step incorrectly or in some cases may not read the "give your answer to x dp/sf"

That's why I believe getting 100 UMS is significantly harder than achieving an A* and I'm assuming getting 600 would be extremely rewarding.

Just by the way, I had a friend who got BUD (and something else) in Maths, Physics and Further Maths, the first time he sat his AS Levels. He continued with A2 Maths and resat the others (so he's doing his A Levels in 3 years), and has an offer for Imperial for Design Engineering, so don't be discouraged by your grades the first time.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the advice. However I need to stop comparing myself. I wouldnt mind being a resitter its just the effort if making new friends when the people in your maths class are weirdos... But thats me being picky. I myself am an introvert 😞😂
Reply 22
Original post by Maths is Life
I have no idea what is Additional maths but I would like to do it...😂

Well you've got maths which is C1-4 and two applied, then Further Maths is FP1, FP2 and/or FP3 and three or four applied, then Additional Further Maths is all the remaining modules (as there are 18 overall). So you can get 3 maths a levels
Well you've got maths which is C1-4 and two applied, then Further Maths is FP1, FP2 and/or FP3 and three or four applied, then Additional Further Maths is all the remaining modules (as there are 18 overall). So you can get 3 maths a levels

Holy crap I want to do additional maths. May ask to enter as a private candidate? I heard that there were 4 maths subjects back in the day of O levels and its all Im good 😂😂
Thanks for the advice. However I need to stop comparing myself. I wouldnt mind being a resitter its just the effort if making new friends when the people in your maths class are weirdos... But thats me being picky. I myself am an introvert 😞😂

The other guy is referring to ADDITIONAL FURTHER Maths (the A2 being 18 modules in total, AS being a total of 15 modules).

+3 exams from A2 Further Maths, essentially.

Also, I am an introvert too, got BUDC (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics respectively), the first time I did my AS Levels. I hate clubbing and going out and have like one or two friends in my college. I also hate most people xD

With that said, I have an offer for Computer Science at UCL (after resitting my AS, and am now in my A2's), so it is possible to do well after an initial failure. Don't worry too much :smile:

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics, in case you're wondering.
For something like maths it is fine to aim for 100 in everything, but tbh I wouldn't really be any less happy getting close to full rather than full as there is no difference in the mathematical abilities of someone getting around 95 and someone getting 100 - it comes down to being able to flawlessly execute exam after exam which is extremely difficult to do.
Reply 26
Holy crap I want to do additional maths. May ask to enter as a private candidate? I heard that there were 4 maths subjects back in the day of O levels and its all Im good 😂😂

Well you pretty much need to know all your stuff from Maths and Further Maths to do additional
Original post by WhiteBerry.
The other guy is referring to ADDITIONAL FURTHER Maths (the A2 being 18 modules in total, AS being a total of 15 modules).

+3 exams from A2 Further Maths, essentially.

Also, I am an introvert too, got BUDC (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics respectively), the first time I did my AS Levels. I hate clubbing and going out and have like one or two friends in my college. I also hate most people xD

With that said, I have an offer for Computer Science at UCL (after resitting my AS, and am now in my A2's), so it is possible to do well after an initial failure. Don't worry too much :smile:

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics, in case you're wondering.

I believe Economics has a place for Mathematicians. John Nash is a legend. Although I always felt I was being asked trick questions in Chemistry
Well you pretty much need to know all your stuff from Maths and Further Maths to do additional

I cant get anything from wikipedia😂. Do you have to talk further additional at AS to accelerate the learning? Also Im WJEC so there is no chance of me picking it up.
Right so I currently resitting A levels after my epic failure of receiving:
Physics U
Chemistry U
Maths B

So from the aftermath me and my family have concluded that all I am good for is MATHS!
Although I do still hold an interest for Physics I now do OCR Economics along with Maths and Further Maths (WJEC).
I was wondering after I messed up on the common chord question on C2 yesterday - HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU GOT 600 UMS IN A LEVEL MATHS(or 100% in other examboards).
And please could you describe to me many people actually get 600 UMS in A2 FURTHER MATHS?

Thanks and please dont feel shy to discriminate since Im a resitter.

- Hopefully the C2 boundaries are lowered 👍👌🤔

I cudve got it but i lost stupid some stupid method marks in C4 nC2 so i gt 592/600
I know people who got it in maths.

Quick Reply

Latest