The Student Room Group

Do your parents have to lend you money to make uni affordable?

If my parents didn't give me money, would it mean I couldn't go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by spark12

You get a tuition fee loan no matter what your parents do. And for the maintenance loan, the amount you get depends on your parents (i.e. household) income. The more they earn the more they are expected to contribute to your education.

Read the info here:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

You can also supplement your own income with p/time work at weekends or holidays, or working full-time in a gap year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
My boyfriend's parents didnt have to lend him money but I think that's only because he had a part time job during his first year and a full time before he went so he was able to save and have the money. I mean if you had non of your own money I guess you could still live but you'ld have to live on small amounts of food because the accommodation loan you get only leaves you spare with a tiny bit after the rents been paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it depends, if you qualify for a large loan then you will have plenty to live on as long as you're sensible, if your parents are on decent salaries you will get a smaller loan and will either need them to contribute or will need to work
My mum has had to give me money from time to time. It sucks because I hate asking her but it's either that or starve..
Original post by spark12

When going to university you get a tutition loan to pay for your course every year as very few people could afford university off their own backs. On top of that you can get something called a maintenance loan which is decided depending on how much is earned in your household between your parents. This is all done through Student Finance England. The loan is split into a loan and a grant - so some you'll have to pay back, others you won't. Do some research into it.

As for parents providing for me, whilst at university - in first year my student finance allowed me to have £80 a week therefore my parents didn't provide me with money however in second year my housing was expensive which meant I was allowed less per week therefore my parents started giving me a certain amount of money per week to make living more 'comfortable'.

Some parents do provide for their sons and daughters, others don't.
If your parents didn't loan to you - it doesn't mean you couldn't go university - just means you may have to get a job whilst at university to earn some extra money.
Original post by cherryred90s
My mum has had to give me money from time to time. It sucks because I hate asking her but it's either that or starve..

Pretty much the same for me. I never even asked because my mum realised that she'd need to give me money (which she couldn't even afford to give me) but as much as I wanted to refuse it, I'd prefer to eat.

I got screwed over under the old system but since I'm starting a different course in September I'll be under the new system and, despite the lack of a grant, I should actually get enough money to live and eat and maybe even go out if I'm extra lucky, so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.
Yes, my parent gives me money. I hate uni. I feel so guilty that they have to give me money because the government can't give students who need more money, actual more money. So irritating.

But there's loads of parents who can't afford to lend their own children a hand because they don't earn that much. So there's lots of students who get overdrafts to help them. It is recommended you try and get a summer job. But of course, harder than it is to type it!
Original post by spark12

LEND? As in having to repay your parents? The ****?
My parents give me a monthly allowance because they feel guilty about how little I get from Student Finance. They're by no means rich and alot gets taxed every month but they give me what they can.

I also work three jobs to keep myself afloat but I would say it is possible you just might need to get a job
My parents have to give me some money each month because the Student Finance I get isn't really enough. I'm a first year in catered accommodation (which I like), but it is quite expensive for the year (over £6,500), and at my university the prices are going up each year (£7,000+ next year). I definitely needed extra money for things like books for my course, some of which were quite expensive. Plus my university is collegiate and I didn't expect to have to pay extra things when I got there like JCR memberships to take part in events! But luckily next year I'll be in private accommodation in a rented house, so I'll hopefully have a bit more control as to how much I want to spend in terms of food (rather than being forced with one amount as I am now with catered accommodation).

However it depends how much loan you get - I know people who get over £9,000 (I think they received bursaries from the university on top of their Student Finance loans) and considering the accommodation price, they don't struggle and have some money left over. Some of them have saved the money rather than just buying expensive stuff, which is probably a sensible option.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
When going to university you get a tutition loan to pay for your course every year as very few people could afford university off their own backs. On top of that you can get something called a maintenance loan which is decided depending on how much is earned in your household between your parents. This is all done through Student Finance England. The loan is split into a loan and a grant - so some you'll have to pay back, others you won't. Do some research into it.

As for parents providing for me, whilst at university - in first year my student finance allowed me to have £80 a week therefore my parents didn't provide me with money however in second year my housing was expensive which meant I was allowed less per week therefore my parents started giving me a certain amount of money per week to make living more 'comfortable'.

Some parents do provide for their sons and daughters, others don't.
If your parents didn't loan to you - it doesn't mean you couldn't go university - just means you may have to get a job whilst at university to earn some extra money.

Just to edit something. There's no longer a grant. Just a maximum loan of £8200 outside of London and about £10500 in London. So everything has to be payed back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
Just to edit something. There's no longer a grant. Just a maximum loan of £8200 outside of London and about £10500 in London. So everything has to be payed back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's strange. I've just reapplied for my student finance for third year and it's listed that I still get a grant?
Reply 13
Original post by mliela

Just to be clear, nobody repays anything unless they earn more than the threshold.

That's strange. I've just reapplied for my student finance for third year and it's listed that I still get a grant?

The maintenance grant has gone for new starters (i.e. after Aug 2016). Existing students aren't affected and can still claim it.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/continuing-fulltime-students
Reply 14

Only effects those going to uni this year and onwards. If you're already in uni then you get the previous amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive done my student finance and im getting over 8k so doubt ill be asking my parents tbh:h:
my mum gives me money now and again but I have heavily relied on my overdraft this year because the rent is barely covered. I also have to pay the first instalment of the house for second year this month so that's more money.
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Just to be clear, nobody repays anything unless they earn more than the threshold.

The maintenance grant has gone for new starters (i.e. after Aug 2016). Existing students aren't affected and can still claim it.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/continuing-fulltime-students

I meant theoretically. But thanks for making it clearer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can get a job as well as go uni, there is plenty of time between lectures and you get 2 days off at least a week and weekends! I work full time and go university I am doing really well and have saved up enough for a house deposit whilst doing it
There is no reason why someone couldn't work before or during university particularly during the four month summer holiday to cover any shortfall.

Quick Reply

Latest