The Student Room Group

Arsey's solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
Interesting views.
btw maths and physics tutor breaks every copyright law in the UK

Hahahahahahha loll.
Teachers should just use ur papers for mocks, everyone will get 100% in the real things in june, then they will try to ban you from making maths papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
The great thing about physics and maths tutor is that he takes out the extra pages in the papers - saving on printing credit/costs. Alongside being able to find every paper in one place, rather than navigating a maze on the Edexcel website. Although I find it funny how he has the cheek to put the his website on top of the paper, I'd imagine that's what breaks any fair use/copyright law.
Reply 182
Original post by TeeEm
Interesting views.
btw maths and physics tutor breaks every copyright law in the UK

agreed, but it is a great resource.
Reply 183
Original post by Arsey
Who else are they referring to?

ah .. I read from your previous post that they hadn't contacted you directly and now see from this post that they did indeed refer to yourself.
I stand corrected.

In honesty, posting on the day of the Exam itself is a little unwise, Edexcel do specify that the Exams should be under lock and key for 24 hours .... and in fairness, they don't really help with regards to revision at that point in time.

with regards to previous solutions that you have made, then for revision purposes I would think that they are a useful resource.

I think that keeping the previous years paper as non-visibile as possible is reasonable so that should a school desire to use it as a mock then they have as an option ... however I agree with previous posts where they doubt that this is actually possible.
Reply 184
Original post by dpm
ah .. I read from your previous post that they hadn't contacted you directly and now see from this post that they did indeed refer to yourself.
I stand corrected.

In honesty, posting on the day of the Exam itself is a little unwise, Edexcel do specify that the Exams should be under lock and key for 24 hours .... and in fairness, they don't really help with regards to revision at that point in time.

with regards to previous solutions that you have made, then for revision purposes I would think that they are a useful resource.

I think that keeping the previous years paper as non-visibile as possible is reasonable so that should a school desire to use it as a mock then they have as an option ... however I agree with previous posts where they doubt that this is actually possible.

Your final sentence is correct though. Instead of getting annoyed at their papers appearing online, they could accept that it is par for the course and create bespoke mock papers.

The 24 hour rule is not really valid anymore since the papers are UK only.
Reply 185
Original post by Arsey
Your final sentence is correct though. Instead of getting annoyed at their papers appearing online, they could accept that it is par for the course and create bespoke mock papers.

The 24 hour rule is not really valid anymore since the papers are UK only.

they are not uk only.
Reply 186
Original post by dpm
they are not uk only.

Really, I thought international centres had no choice now but to use the international spec... hence the international series.

Where else uses the UK papers?
Original post by Arsey
Really, I thought international centres had no choice now but to use the international spec... hence the international series.

As far as we are aware if the same papers are used in different countries they are sat at different times locally. Let me find the link, hang on.
Reply 188
Original post by Arsey

When the new spec. comes out, there may be a change. But at present overseas British schools can choose to take either domestic A-levels or IAL.

e.g. The British School of Paris (unless they decided to change in the last year)
Reply 189
Original post by Arsey

When the new spec. comes out, there may be a change. But at present overseas British schools can choose to take either domestic A-levels or IAL.

e.g. The British School of Paris (unless they decided to change in the last year)
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
As far as we are aware if the same papers are used in different countries they are sat at different times locally. Let me find the link, hang on.

Original post by dpm

Yep I live in the Middle East and we use the UK papers currently.

Actually as of next year, we are switching to IAL but the current Y13s are sitting the UK A level
Original post by Arsey

All countries adopting the Edexcel board are allowed to sit either UK or IAL. In mine, the majority does IAL but there are frugal number of GCE candidates as well - I think 1 person is sitting M4/M5 this year along with a handful of C1-4s.

The UK papers are sat here at 9 AM GMT for AM sessions and 1 PM GMT for PM sessions. IAL has different times altogether.
Original post by Arsey

Here you go, here are the international timetables. Looks like they're adjusted so every country is starting around the same time or starting before the others have finished.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/exam-timetables.html#tab-Internationalcentres
I am not going to spare your blushes. TeeEm's papers on Madas Maths of increasing difficulty from paper A to paper Z are a great resource and freely available for students to access and use for study and revision.

Someone suggested teachers not be lazy and write their own mock exams. Seems attractive. Ever tried this? Do you know how quickly you can make a "doable" into into an "undoable" question if the numbers are inconsistent? The problems can be subtle. I remember an M2 question with an inclined plane that could be done using energy (the intended way) or a convoluted force argument. The force argument (although valid) ended up with a meaningless solution for reasons I can't quite remember. This is one reason questions look very similar year on year. "Debugging" a new question takes time and effort. Several times I have had a "bright idea" on how to "improve" a question which went down dark corners (typically complex numbers) to solve efficiently.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by cliverlong
I am not going to spare your blushes. TeeEm's papers on Madas Maths of increasing difficulty from paper A to paper Z are a great resource and freely available for students to access and use for study and revision.

Someone suggested teachers not be lazy and write their own mock exams. Seems attractive. Ever tried this? Do you know how quickly you can make a "doable" into into an "undoable" question if the numbers are inconsistent? The problems can be subtle. I remember an M2 question with an inclined plane that could be done using energy (the intended way) or a convoluted force argument. The force argument (although valid) ended up with a meaningless solution for reasons I can't quite remember. This is one reason questions look very similar year on year. "Debugging" a new question takes time and effort.

I agree, getting a good paper using past questions really isn't as easy at it seems; you also then do not have grade boundaries to use. An actual paper is more preferable.

That said, there are so many papers out there for current spec picking one at random should lead to reasonable mock results, if a student has already completed that paper and can remember some of the answers, fair enough.

We used the Jan IAL papers and adapted them and found them to be very good mock papers.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Here you go, here are the international timetables. Looks like they're adjusted so every country is starting around the same time or starting before the others have finished.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/exam-timetables.html#tab-Internationalcentres

As well as UK centre GCE papers and IAL there are "R" papers typically for ASPac time zone.
https://knowledgebase.edexcel.com/?p=1749

The IAL has different format to GCE A-Level. Essentially C1 and C2 are combined into C12, similarly C3 and C4 are combined to C34

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics/about.html
As well as UK centre GCE papers and IAL there are "R" papers typically for ASPac time zone.
https://knowledgebase.edexcel.com/?p=1749

The IAL has different format to GCE A-Level. Essentially C1 and C2 are combined into C12, similarly C3 and C4 are combined to C34

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics/about.html

Not for applied, you can just take out the questions into one 75 marker for C2-4 but for C1 the calculator is needed in IAL, but C1 who cares bout C1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsey

<< snip >>
We used the Jan IAL papers and adapted them and found them to be very good mock papers.

Or taking an OCR or AQA question and dressing it up as an Edexcel question. Surprisingly the mathematics is the same. In reverse, an S2 Edexcel Hypothesis Testing question for an OCR MEI PS1 candidate etc.
Reply 198
Or taking an OCR or AQA question and dressing it up as an Edexcel question. Surprisingly the mathematics is the same. In reverse, an S2 Edexcel Hypothesis Testing question for an OCR MEI PS1 candidate etc.

never thought of using other boards.

I think they knocked the R papers on the head in 2014.
Original post by Arsey

I think they knocked the R papers on the head in 2014.

You might well be right.

I just clicked on the link I provided and Maths is no longer listed as offering an "R". Quelle etrange.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest