The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature: Unseen and prose texts 26th May

How did everyone find the exam? I don't know about you guys but the unseen extract threw me off as it was set in the 1950's and not pre-1900's whilst for the other question, I only wrote two points instead of 3.
Hey, I found that strange too! GCSE History saved me for contextual points but other than that it was okay. It seems that I went against everyone else in my school though with my points? What points did you make- I wouldn't worry about only making two points so long as all the AO's were covered and the essay was well written? Did you question 2 or 3 for the Section B?
Reply 2
Original post by dinahudson
Hey, I found that strange too! GCSE History saved me for contextual points but other than that it was okay. It seems that I went against everyone else in my school though with my points? What points did you make- I wouldn't worry about only making two points so long as all the AO's were covered and the essay was well written? Did you question 2 or 3 for the Section B?

For the extract I said he was selfish but tried to argue that he was being honest in one of my paragraphs but I said about how Eilis was considered as less important than him because she was amongst a crowd when he couldn't see her and she felt like a shadow and stuff. I did Ancient History for GCSE and tbh my modern history knowledge is pretty dire. What points did you make?

For the prose texts,I chose question 2 but thought about which one I should do for too long- like 5/6 minutes :/ but I thought both questions were quite nice, it's just the time limit of 45 minutes is just impossible! :redface: Which question did you choose for section 2?
Original post by EvieEmerald
For the extract I said he was selfish but tried to argue that he was being honest in one of my paragraphs but I said about how Eilis was considered as less important than him because she was amongst a crowd when he couldn't see her and she felt like a shadow and stuff. I did Ancient History for GCSE and tbh my modern history knowledge is pretty dire. What points did you make?

For the prose texts,I chose question 2 but thought about which one I should do for too long- like 5/6 minutes :/ but I thought both questions were quite nice, it's just the time limit of 45 minutes is just impossible! :redface: Which question did you choose for section 2?

That sounds good!! Somehow??? i managed to disagree with the statement that he was selfish; i think my points were that he explicitly expressed his love for her, she withheld the decision from him, in a selfish act and i cannot remember my third one :frown: Contextually, I said something about the fact that both protagonists are from catholic descent in their origins (irish and italian) and spoke about how there may have been racial tension from outside the relationship because of this (due to America's societal view, perhaps??) and I also said that the child would be a 'bastard' as they were unmarried (I think) and this was acceptable in modern literature!

For the prose texts i chose question 2 as well; we studied The Great Gatsby, and Wuthering Heights and I made 3 points: males did seek to dominate their female partners; it was societal oppressions that forced the perception that males seemed to dominate; and women dominated in an emotional sense through being seductive where men dominated in a physical one. My conclusion was that women were the ones seeking to dominate more, economically they dominated the decision for marriage (and whether it was suitable) and emotionally, which is the basis on which love is founded upon, or something like that!!
Reply 4
Original post by dinahudson
That sounds good!! Somehow??? i managed to disagree with the statement that he was selfish; i think my points were that he explicitly expressed his love for her, she withheld the decision from him, in a selfish act and i cannot remember my third one :frown: Contextually, I said something about the fact that both protagonists are from catholic descent in their origins (irish and italian) and spoke about how there may have been racial tension from outside the relationship because of this (due to America's societal view, perhaps??) and I also said that the child would be a 'bastard' as they were unmarried (I think) and this was acceptable in modern literature!

For the prose texts i chose question 2 as well; we studied The Great Gatsby, and Wuthering Heights and I made 3 points: males did seek to dominate their female partners; it was societal oppressions that forced the perception that males seemed to dominate; and women dominated in an emotional sense through being seductive where men dominated in a physical one. My conclusion was that women were the ones seeking to dominate more, economically they dominated the decision for marriage (and whether it was suitable) and emotionally, which is the basis on which love is founded upon, or something like that!!

That's a great contextual point for the unseen extract- wish I'd thought of that one! :smile: I studied Wuthering Heights and Great Gatsby too and wow your argument for the prose texts sounds really sophisticated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending