The Student Room Group

plagiarism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NJA
I imagine a World without plagiarism. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

I'm rather more cynical!
Original post by kevin_2016
no I did not do like that. red the article and get the idea for my work and rewrite in my own words, that is what I done

Although ageshallnot has asked pertinent questions, am not sure the exact version of events and what you have done has come out.

My impression from what you have said is you have plagiarised, but that was just my impression.

You do have a version you uploaded i.e the 30% version and a 6% version. You can compare them side by side and see which bits are different.

You should also have other versions of your essay to show how you planned and developed it.

I'm assuming the essay you based it on, then your referenced or put it in the appendix? The less research you had gives the impression your knowledge can only have come from those limited sources.

Your best bet to defend yourself is to understand the Uni rules and show the work was your own idea with sipporting drafts.
Reply 22
Original post by threeportdrift
Well the basic question is 'did you knowingly plagiarise'. If so, you need to explain why.

If you didn't knowingly plagiarise, then have a think how this could have happened. Re-read the paper and be aware of what you quoted and how. Think of any reasons as to why it might have jumped from 6% to 30%.

Take evidence of your check and the 6% result to show you have a genuine belief that all was OK.

Have you had any previous incidences similar to this before, because if so, then they are much less likely to be lenient.

no this is the first time , I never had anything like this before
Reply 23
Original post by ageshallnot
In post 11 you admitted copying & pasting material from the other essay into yours before editing it into your own words. If you had merely read the other material and put it into your own words immediately, then you wouldn't have such a high Turnitin percentage in your earlier version and a lower one in the later version.

It was a draft copy I was working on . when I do the research I copy and paste to draft doc. Then later I will read them. And apply for my case study if the things are found relevant and reference them or cited. Before I submit my work, I scan through the Turnitin to see everything is okay. In this case, It came up everything was ok apart from 6% which I believe for referencing and headed paper. I would say. So I did not think twice just uploaded the doc.
Have you supplied them with the copy document you intended to hand in and you can prove it was created before the cut off date? They will need to see both versions so they can compare.
It was a draft copy I was working on . when I do the research I copy and paste to draft doc. Then later I will read them. And apply for my case study if the things are found relevant and reference them or cited. Before I submit my work, I scan through the Turnitin to see everything is okay. In this case, It came up everything was ok apart from 6% which I believe for referencing and headed paper. I would say. So I did not think twice just uploaded the doc.

What did you mean when you said there was a '30% similarity with another university'?

Have you had your hearing yet?
Reply 26
Original post by 999tigger
Have you supplied them with the copy document you intended to hand in and you can prove it was created before the cut off date? They will need to see both versions so they can compare.

not yet going to email today.
Isn't the meeting today? You should imo also take copies with you of the materials you used, even if it was only one article.
Reply 28
Isn't the meeting today? You should imo also take copies with you of the materials you used, even if it was only one article.

meeting tomorrow at 10. what should I not to say in the interview?
Im not altogether sure what youve done.
I suggest going with a student rep.
Reading the Unis rules on plagiarism, listening and then making points to show you didnt contravene those rules.
Backed up with your evidence ofc.
They will make up their own mind.

This sounds implausible TBH. If you were just copying and pasting bits into a document to read later (and why not just read them like a normal person?), it wouldn't read like an essay, more a collection of random paragraphs.

If that is what you did, you could surely bring your actual essay and show the differences.

But if your "draft" reads like an essay, then it clearly suggests you plagiarised. Then even your 6% version could be considered plagiarism if you are just rewording someone else's work.
Original post by chazwomaq
This sounds implausible TBH. If you were just copying and pasting bits into a document to read later (and why not just read them like a normal person?), it wouldn't read like an essay, more a collection of random paragraphs.

If that is what you did, you could surely bring your actual essay and show the differences.

But if your "draft" reads like an essay, then it clearly suggests you plagiarised. Then even your 6% version could be considered plagiarism if you are just rewording someone else's work.

I copy and paste bits of relevant articles when im working on a draft, but its so obvious and it would not read like an essay. It would also be considerably longer and messier.

He has already pasted them the original he was meant to hand in and they cna check that v the draft he did hand in. When they have them side by side, as well as the originla articles they will be able to make a judgment, even without turnitin.
I copy and paste bits of relevant articles when im working on a draft, but its so obvious and it would not read like an essay. It would also be considerably longer and messier.

He has already pasted them the original he was meant to hand in and they cna check that v the draft he did hand in. When they have them side by side, as well as the originla articles they will be able to make a judgment, even without turnitin.

Yeah, exactly. Plagiarism cases are always obvious one way or the other in my experience.
Reply 33
meeting tomorrow at 10. what should I not to say in the interview?

Hi
I went to interview today there was an another lecturer with him. So what they have done they fail me for that coursework and ask me to resubmit on July. As I explain the situation, they thought my intention was copy and paste. I told them it was a wrong submission. But I did not get a chance defend myself. They just go by the screen what they can see and no point of arguing. But I don't know they are going to cap my marks. I forgot to ask that. And don't know whether I can use my work in that doc.
Hi
I went to interview today there was an another lecturer with him. So what they have done they fail me for that coursework and ask me to resubmit on July. As I explain the situation, they thought my intention was copy and paste. I told them it was a wrong submission. But I did not get a chance defend myself. They just go by the screen what they can see and no point of arguing. But I don't know they are going to cap my marks. I forgot to ask that. And don't know whether I can use my work in that doc.

Its hard to say because we dont have the benefit of seeing what you have done.
What you do know is that another lecturer has reviewed what you have done and compared it with the new piece of work you claim was the one intended for submission. Neither of them were satisfied by yoiur explanation.Being allowed to resubmit in July is generous imo, but again I havent seen either bit of work.

Just e-mail your lecturer and ask them to confirm the two points you raised. They would have veen better off giving you a differerent essay.
HiI went to interview today there was an another lecturer with him. So what they have done they fail me for that coursework and ask me to resubmit on July. As I explain the situation, they thought my intention was copy and paste. I told them it was a wrong submission. But I did not get a chance defend myself. They just go by the screen what they can see and no point of arguing. But I don't know they are going to cap my marks. I forgot to ask that. And don't know whether I can use my work in that doc.

Its hard to say because we dont have the benefit of seeing what you have done.
What you do know is that another lecturer has reviewed what you have done and compared it with the new piece of work you claim was the one intended for submission. Neither of them were satisfied by yoiur explanation.Being allowed to resubmit in July is generous imo, but again I havent seen either bit of work.

Just e-mail your lecturer and ask them to confirm the two points you raised. They would have veen better off giving you a differerent essay.

I believe tigger's summation is fair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending