The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics May/June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123moon
But i still estimated it wrong :s-smilie:

What did you do instead and what was your answer?
Original post by NiamhM1801
What did you do instead and what was your answer?

I explained it in a previous post but i added up the frequency in the table and it added up to 0.80 but because all probability adds up to one i thought it was 0.20 but i also times the frequency by 300 instead of dividing and put that answer down (can't remember what it was thou but it was not 60) .:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123moon
I explained it in a previous post but i added up the frequency in the table and it added up to 0.80 but because all probability adds up to one i thought it was 0.20 but i also times the frequency by 300 instead of dividing and put that answer down (can't remember what it was thou but it was not 60) .:frown:

Oh ok, well what was in the table was just frequency ie how many times it landed on whatever letter out of the 80 times she spun it (hence why you got 0.80). So you just had to do 16/80 which is the same as 1/5, so you then just did 300/5 to get 60 which was the answer.
Oh ok, well what was in the table was just frequency ie how many times it landed on whatever letter out of the 80 times she spun it (hence why you got 0.80). So you just had to do 16/80 which is the same as 1/5, so you then just did 300/5 to get 60 which was the answer.

I know that now but thank you anyway I have failed that exam and know it already and feeling like rubbish right now. :frown: Thanks for the quick reply thou
Original post by 123moon
I know that now but thank you anyway I have failed that exam and know it already and feeling like rubbish right now. :frown: Thanks for the quick reply thou

Oh ok sorry, but you don't know that you have failed and you probably haven't - after an exam you always focus on the stuff you didn't get right rather than what you did so you probably haven't realised that you picked up quite a few marks despite losing a few too. Feel better though as you've always got paper 2 to pull it back! :smile:
Original post by zara_ruby
What did people get for the spinner one because i didnt estimate and got 60

Because u are relying on results u are estimating because they only did 80 spins and recorded it once. It could have be different probabilities if he did it another time therefore you are right as the results are rough and you are using probability to estimate the answer:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No angles questions on foundation was weird, normally they love missing angle questions on non calc
What did people get on the second question on higher? Did you reflect it down or the side way

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought that the paper (higher) was quite difficult, especially since it started with a 'find the volume' question - I found it easy but I'd say it was an intermediate question which surprised me (I just hope I can get my B).
Eek Maths GCSE H Edexcel today...

I found some parts ok, some parts super hard and some parts super confusing! On the algebra I put down 5m not -5m, there's a daft mark lost.Absolutely gutted my best mates, stem and leaf and cumulative frequency, decided to be a no show.I'm rubbish with surds, I ended up multiplying the bottom surd to rid of it, but not getting any further, probably totally wrong. Actually, I'm sure!! I'm hoping I got at least a D and I can make up marks on the next paper, fingers crossed. :frown:
Original post by KatherineL88
Eek Maths GCSE H Edexcel today...

I found some parts ok, some parts super hard and some parts super confusing! On the algebra I put down 5m not -5m, there's a daft mark lost.Absolutely gutted my best mates, stem and leaf and cumulative frequency, decided to be a no show.I'm rubbish with surds, I ended up multiplying the bottom surd to rid of it, but not getting any further, probably totally wrong. Actually, I'm sure!! I'm hoping I got at least a D and I can make up marks on the next paper, fingers crossed. :frown:

aww dont worry, I'm sure you did well! Just stay positive and work hard for paper 2 :biggrin:
Oh ok sorry, but you don't know that you have failed and you probably haven't - after an exam you always focus on the stuff you didn't get right rather than what you did so you probably haven't realised that you picked up quite a few marks despite losing a few too. Feel better though as you've always got paper 2 to pull it back! :smile:

That's true, thank you for the positive advice i really appreciate it! and good luck with your upcoming exams
Original post by 123moon
That's true, thank you for the positive advice i really appreciate it! and good luck with your upcoming exams

Aw you're welcome, and good luck to you too :h:
What about the modular foundation mark scheme?
anyone know what it would be for a C on the foundation paper?
Omg, I put 2000 instead of 60😭, I failed this exam for good. It's really starting drag me down.
I did all of the past papers to date and I found the exam easy, since I thought it didn't challenge me enough, feel sorry for the exam board who tried to make it harder :frown:
Reply 437
Original post by 18nahalb
I did all of the past papers to date and I found the exam easy, since I thought it didn't challenge me enough, feel sorry for the exam board who tried to make it harder :frown:

It did challenge lots of people, to the point where there were tears. But I agree, it was pretty easy to me.
Original post by lily628
anyone know how many marks the last one was worth? lost of all of those marks lol

Only 3 marks, not worth worrying over really. Defiantly should've been worth 5
Reply 439
I'm stoked really. I got an E (24/200 marks) 5 years ago in school and just took the 1H paper today. I did 62 marks worth of questions and based on the unofficial mark scheme, I've definitely got more than 50 marks. In just 4 months, I've gone from getting under 14 marks per past paper to achieving more than 50 marks per paper. I would highly recommend HegartyMaths on YouTube (and his website) for studying/revision. His teaching techniques are simple, flawless and he's covered almost everything you need to learn to achieve the grade you desire.

Good luck people and stay confident - you've still got another chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending