AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SANTR
I doubt an A would be 60.
70-75% is always an A.
70-75% = about 49-53 for an A.

I'm just going off standard grade boundaries of 80% as an A
Original post by neyscar
For the magnification question, who else got something like 21,000? I followed all the steps but I think my answer looks weird, I'm not sure.

Yup x21000 is correct
Reply 102
Original post by neyscar
I said that the graph shows that as time passes, the rate of sucrose hydrolysis increases which suggests that the number of plant cells is growing at an increasing rate because this hydrolysis has to occur within the plant cells so more hydrolysis suggests more cells present and thus more growth of the plant. Wasn't entirely sure on this answer but I think that's the sort of thing they were after.

That should be right.
What did you get for the calibration curve Q?
Original post by BamSrown
It's a new spec so you can't really tell I would think it would be about:
60 - A
52 - B
44 - C
36 - D
28 - E

I reckon they'll be lower than that as it's a new spec

58 - A
50 - B
42 - C
34 - D
26 - E
Reply 104
Original post by BamSrown
I'm just going off standard grade boundaries of 80% as an A

Yes but what you need to do is go off standard grade boundaries for AQA AS Biology
Original post by Maaz_ali
Yep. It got easier near the end

i meant that people were stressing out about something as specific as calibration curves hmmm
How hard did you find this paper compared to the specimen papers they published?
Original post by laney1999
Did you do the graph in standard form? Did you do it for rate of reaction per minute or per hour? Would it really matter anyway? Thank you to the person who just gave me a near cardiac arrest talking about 10 markers

think the question said per minute to calculate rate
Reply 108
You know I found it sort of ok, kinda ran out of time at the end though, only had 5 minutes to do the last question so panicked a bit and scribbled answers down >.>
Original post by neyscar
For the magnification question, who else got something like 21,000? I followed all the steps but I think my answer looks weird, I'm not sure.

i also got that and some of my other classmates did as well
Original post by SANTR
That should be right.
What did you get for the calibration curve Q?

I kind of made it up as I went along but I think what you need to do it first get a variety of known concentrations and measure them with the colorimeter to get a quantitative value for each and then use this info to plot a graph. Then you use the colorimeter to get values for all the unknown samples in the experiment and then all you have to do is read what the corresponding concentration is for that colorimeter value from your calibration curve and then you get your results. I was sort of guessing but I think this makes sense.
Original post by smilj012.206
i wrote calc standard deviation and do error bars , overlap = cvhance =non signifficatnt no overlap =significant

i wrote nothing but my teacher said might have been standard deviation
How did you get 21,000? If I remember correctly, the actual length was 4 micrometres, and the size of image was 8.5cm ish?
Original post by Aminr838
I divided by 3600

It wanted it per minute, and dividing it by 3600 will give you it in per second.
what was the question about the calorimeter?? i found the paper really hard :frown: and i felt worse after everyone said they found it easy
Ohhh, I remember 21250, is that still right for the magnification q?
Original post by chelseaoscar15
How did you get 21,000? If I remember correctly, the actual length was 4 micrometres, and the size of image was 8.5cm ish?

size of image = 0.084m
convert 4 um to m = 4 x10^-6
divide = 21k
I accidentally forgot to add an extra zero for my magnification! I only just realised that as soon as I closed my booklet! Rofl!

The calibration curve was a mess for me

Other than that it was all good I reckon. Seems like a pretty standard paper for me other than a couple of marks.
Original post by SANTR
I doubt an A would be 60.
70-75% is always an A.
70-75% = about 49-53 for an A.

yeah last years even though grade boundaries were a bit low was 68% to get an A so probly bout 70-75%
Reply 119
Original post by chelseaoscar15
Ohhh, I remember 21250, is that still right for the magnification q?

Mark scheme will probably allow a range of answers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending