The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Edexcel hard? Potential grade boundaries?

I really struggle with maths anxiety and seem to panic in exams. I did the edexcel maths gcse paper 1 today and seem to have got a lot of the answers wrong so I think I mostly likely only got 50-60 marks tops. I am aiming for an A overall.

What would I have to get in the calculator paper to get this and what are your predictions for grade boundaries? Did anyone else find it hard?

Scroll to see replies

The beginning was not too bad until question 7, then shot got real. For some reason I was so slow during the exam, I didn't even get to attempt the last question ( I only glanced at it a thought it was be best to go back to correct my mistakes and complete the other questions I missed out). I don't think I even got 50 marks, 😭😭😭
Original post by ART2033
I really struggle with maths anxiety and seem to panic in exams. I did the edexcel maths gcse paper 1 today and seem to have got a lot of the answers wrong so I think I mostly likely only got 50-60 marks tops. I am aiming for an A overall.

What would I have to get in the calculator paper to get this and what are your predictions for grade boundaries? Did anyone else find it hard?

Around 80-70 marks based on typical past boundaries.
Reply 3
any grade boundaries for foundation?
Reply 4
I dont think I'm going to get more than 50 marks either. This is the first time I have had issues with time in a maths exam and I panicked because of this. I made a lot of stupid mistakes as well. But maybe the grade boundaries will be quite low as most people seemed to struggle.
Rough estimations for Paper 1 are:

79 - A*
63 - A
46 - B
31 - C
19 - D
I found today paper hard aswell. Honestly, at the start of paper was amazing but then around q7/8, it got harder and I also struggled with some long questions. Most people find the paper difficult aswell so let's hope the grade boundaries for maths will be low this year but I don't think so because my maths teacher said the grade boundaries this year will be likely to be high.

If all of you think you didn't do well in today paper then you have to prepare to do very well in the second paper (calc- - 9th june) because they can save you with your grade from the first one.
Reply 7
How many marks do you think you could lose and still get 100% UMS?
Original post by Kaedra
How many marks do you think you could lose and still get 100% UMS?

Linear exams don't use ums.
You either get 100% of the available marks or you don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm hoping they'll be low but I feel like there just making exams harder with higher grade boundaries. I made a lot of dumb mistakes especially in the circle theorem question 😡 I got 59 when the was 69 😁
Reply 10
Original post by gdunne42
Linear exams don't use ums.
You either get 100% of the available marks or you don't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I thought they were adjusted to fit grade boundaries...
Alltogether, the total scores for grade boundaries, I think are:

A* - 170-172
A - 140-ish
B - 98-100
C - 60-ish.
Reply 12
Original post by Fractite

A* - 170-172
A - 140-ish
B - 98-100
C - 60-ish.

I think they might be a bit lower approximately 132-134 for an A because they usually fall around 133-135 and this was not an extremely easy paper
Original post by GcseMaths

79 - A*
63 - A
46 - B
31 - C
19 - D

46 for a B!!! That's so goood.
Damn, damn, damn...I was never really good at maths, but like **** Edexcel, why I do me like this? I would thank God for a C with how paper 1 went...😭
Original post by ART2033

I'm in the exactly same situation as you, I'm really good at maths and i honestly found that paper sort of easy but the anxiety got the better of me, i was so nervous, i was daydreaming for like 5 minutes and i made silly and careless mistakes which pissed me off!!

My prediction for my paper 1 i think i got 58-60 marks, and i want an A grade overall so i think i'll need 75 marks minimum cause i'll think an A grade will be 130 marks approximately.

Hope this helps.
Original post by GcseMaths

79 - A*
63 - A
46 - B
31 - C
19 - D

this is quite low,

do you have any idea what an A grade will be overall out of 200 marks. Do you think it will be 130-135 marks. I really, really hope so.
Reply 17
Original post by varshan_k
I'm in the exactly same situation as you, I'm really good at maths and i honestly found that paper sort of easy but the anxiety got the better of me, i was so nervous, i was daydreaming for like 5 minutes and i made silly and careless mistakes which pissed me off!!

My prediction for my paper 1 i think i got 58-60 marks, and i want an A grade overall so i think i'll need 75 marks minimum cause i'll think an A grade will be 130 marks approximately.

Hope this helps.

I always think about a question then I start to day dream...
Personally I find maths easy and fun as I've been getting 190+ in majority of my mocks I found the exam extremely easy the questions weren't hard you just needed to use the knowledge you already know in order to work out your answer, for instance the final question wasn't hard at all. You just had to work out the area of the two triangles and then subtract the smaller area from the larger area , which I am sure everyone knows how to do. Although the final question contained surds you shouldn't let that put you off just use the usual steps and think logically yet again I will expect the calculator to be more difficult and I am confident that trigonometry, simultaneous equations, solving quadratic equations via quadratic formula, pythagaros, loci and bearing are most likely to come up. However be optimistic and good luck in your calculator exam and your remaining gcse's we shall have big smiles on our faces in August
Original post by Fractite

A* - 170-172
A - 140-ish
B - 98-100
C - 60-ish.

140??!??? It'll be like 130-132

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending