The Student Room Group

AS biology aqa resit

How did everyone find the aqa biology a level resit today??

Scroll to see replies

Wierd! Parts were really hard. Like it was much harder than the past papers I have done. The last 2 questions were fine but the one about mitochondria evolving from prokaryotic cells!! And the trypsin questions- not so nice!
Reply 2
Original post by silversurfer224
Wierd! Parts were really hard. Like it was much harder than the past papers I have done. The last 2 questions were fine but the one about mitochondria evolving from prokaryotic cells!! And the trypsin questions- not so nice!

I also thought it was really hard!! how did you find the questions about Ebola? I thought the Ebola and the trypsin questions were so hard I doubt I even got 5 marks between them
Thought it was decent, got the impression from others though that it was quite hard
Reply 4
Anyone want to try and put an unofficial mark scheme together??
I found it really irritating, I'd revised to the point of pretty much knowing the cgp guide of by heart yet I still really struggled with it :frown:
Seemed like they were trying to trip us up! Especially the blood plasma transfusion question?
Reply 5
Original post by lilymay38
Anyone want to try and put an unofficial mark scheme together??
I found it really irritating, I'd revised to the point of pretty much knowing the cgp guide of by heart yet I still really struggled with it :frown:
Seemed like they were trying to trip us up! Especially the blood plasma transfusion question?

That's the same for me I knew the specification so well!! but I really struggled too :frown: I had no idea about the blood plasma transfusion questions it was literally a guess
Reply 6
I found it a really nice, straightforward paper IMO. only part I struggled with was last 5 markers and trypsin part b about inactive form
Original post by Bennyab
I found it a really nice, straightforward paper IMO. only part I struggled with was last 5 markers and trypsin part b about inactive form

Yeah I'm the same, the 5 markers were soooo weird IMO
Original post by CMooreFalcons
Yeah I'm the same, the 5 markers were soooo weird IMO

The first 5 marker on co-transport was a dream, the 2nd on diffusion seemed a little restrictive on things to say
Reply 9
Original post by Pommo1996
The first 5 marker on co-transport was a dream, the 2nd on diffusion seemed a little restrictive on things to say

I agree, I didn't know what to write other than not lipid soluble and too large to fit through the bilayer
Original post by Pommo1996

What was the second on again??
Original post by lilymay38
What was the second on again??

Had to say why sodium ions required membrane channels and oxygen didn't for diffusion
Reply 12
I actually found the paper quite good.

I think the mitochondria question about why it evolved from a prokaryotic cell, wasn't that to do with the fact it had its own DNA?
Original post by frogman2
I actually found the paper quite good.

I think the mitochondria question about why it evolved from a prokaryotic cell, wasn't that to do with the fact it had its own DNA?

A wild guess but i put down since prok is bactaria cell.They have mesosome for ATP and respire,similiar stuff which mitochondria does so their is a possibility it evolved from that.
Reply 14
Original post by CrazyFoxes
A wild guess but i put down since prok is bactaria cell.They have mesosome for ATP and respire,similiar stuff which mitochondria does so their is a possibility it evolved from that.

Just found this: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/_0_0/endosymbiosis_04
Reply 15
I put they have two cell membranes I.e cell membrane and inner folded membrane like prokaryotes which have cell wall and cell membrane :frown:?

Also what about the hole in the heart question? I wrote something about pressure and something about mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood ?

and another thing with the inactive production of the enzyme why was that beneficial?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by CrazyFoxes

in the diagram of the mitochondria it had DNA and so I put it had circular DNA
Original post by patelxo
I put they have two cell membranes I.e cell membrane and inner folded membrane like prokaryotes which have cell wall and cell membrane :frown:?

Also what about the hole in the heart question? I wrote something about pressure and something about mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood ?

and another thing with the inactive production of the enzyme why was that beneficial?

For the inactive trypsin question I put that as it doesn't work it can't break down proteins within the cell. Not sure if that's right just guessed Bcos enzymes usually in lysosomes which protect cell from enzyme action. Found this exam so hard. Thought last years was actually easier.
I think that the questions were weird, the 5 markers were harsh and the trypsin question wasn't fair but all in all it could've been worse.
Reply 19
Original post by lucindarose
For the inactive trypsin question I put that as it doesn't work it can't break down proteins within the cell. Not sure if that's right just guessed Bcos enzymes usually in lysosomes which protect cell from enzyme action. Found this exam so hard. Thought last years was actually easier.

Really? I found last years so much more difficult, this year was actually biology. I got a B in this exam last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending