The Student Room Group

Character and Voice 2016 Poetry predictions?

What's everyone's predictions for the poetry exam? I'm hoping for The Ruined Maid or Give!
Reply 1
Yeah, they're likely to come up as they have never appeared before. What kind of question do you think they'll ask about The Ruined Maid?
Original post by 11owolea
Yeah, they're likely to come up as they have never appeared before. What kind of question do you think they'll ask about The Ruined Maid?

I have a feeling they'll repeat a poem just because they did last year with My Last Duchess. I mean it's the last year with this and the number of poems that haven't come up has been narrowing so yea :/ Personally, I really hope that Ozymandias or Medusa come up
Reply 3
Yeah I think at least one will be repeated- I just hope its one I can do well on
Original post by febuardo99
I have a feeling they'll repeat a poem just because they did last year with My Last Duchess. I mean it's the last year with this and the number of poems that haven't come up has been narrowing so yea :/ Personally, I really hope that Ozymandias or Medusa come up

Ozymandias or medusa would be a god send
Seriously hoping for Ozymandias, it's the only poem I've revised for :colondollar: If the Ruined Maid crops up, I won't be too happy. I always struggle to write much about it...
I have a strong feeling that Ozymandias will come up and Medusa! Anyone have an idea what the theme might be on or what to compare them to?!
Original post by emzzymarsh
I have a strong feeling that Ozymandias will come up and Medusa! Anyone have an idea what the theme might be on or what to compare them to?!

Medusa you can compare to Les Grands Seigneurs because both poems have unexpected take on relationships, both involving black humour. Also both are driven by their extended metaphors, medusa: myth of medusa is a metaphor for jealous women, Les Grands seigneurs: extended metaphor for courtly love.
Medusa uses (big word) paradoxical metaphors like "bullet tears", bullet showing she'd want to harm her husband but "tears" showing she is still vulnerable to him. So a big theme from this that can be analysed in depth is her husband still having control over her emotions, the poem could be interpreted as a cry for help.

Ozymandias can easily be compared to My Last Duchess or The river God because they are about power, they all have a one sided distinctive voice and are seen taking advantage or controlling people.
Rhyme is used in ozymandias like 'decay' and 'away' to suggest an end to his power, a fall from grace. As well as the iambic pentameter gives it a regular sound, so the reader can anticipate that he will fall from power because it happens to everyone, even the most powerful; no one lives forever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by febuardo99

I will cry if Ozymandias comes up :frown:
I like Ozymandias but I also love Give. I really hope that comes up
Reply 10
Original post by Redcoats
I like Ozymandias but I also love Give. I really hope that comes up

I hate Ozymandias :frown: I really hope Give, The Ruined Maid, Clown Punk or Medusa come up
Original post by Laurencacti
Medusa you can compare to Les Grands Seigneurs because both poems have unexpected take on relationships, both involving black humour. Also both are driven by their extended metaphors, medusa: myth of medusa is a metaphor for jealous women, Les Grands seigneurs: extended metaphor for courtly love.
Medusa uses (big word) paradoxical metaphors like "bullet tears", bullet showing she'd want to harm her husband but "tears" showing she is still vulnerable to him. So a big theme from this that can be analysed in depth is her husband still having control over her emotions, the poem could be interpreted as a cry for help.

Ozymandias can easily be compared to My Last Duchess or The river God because they are about power, they all have a one sided distinctive voice and are seen taking advantage or controlling people.
Rhyme is used in ozymandias like 'decay' and 'away' to suggest an end to his power, a fall from grace. As well as the iambic pentameter gives it a regular sound, so the reader can anticipate that he will fall from power because it happens to everyone, even the most powerful; no one lives forever.

Thank you so much this has really helped!!!! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending