The Student Room Group

OCR F211/F212 AS Biology Retake 2016

Scroll to see replies

I put Spongy Mespophyll (but i think this is a tissue) and Guard Cells
For the transport of water in moss i talked about moving from high water potential to low by osmosis down water potential gradient, also mentioned apoplast and symplast pathways because the question asked about mechanisms of water transport.
I put Right Ventricle, Septum and Left Ventricle wall which works with some of the images I've seen on google.
I put anaphase for stage
I put about DNA replication, protein, organelle and cytoplasm synthesis for the question about the remainder of the cell cycle.

I put casparin strip for the gap fill, does anyone know if they'd accept that (I know casparian was correct)
Original post by Zordon
What do you reckon the grade boundaries are?

I think it'll go up due to everyone who sat it was resitting it and could go up to 48 for an A which is 80% but tbh i think it'll be 45 for an A
Reply 242
Original post by astrostar29

With regards to the name given to water moving out of the cell I don't think exocytosis alone would cut it. I think it should exoPINOcytosis - refer to the bottom of page 25 in the ocr purple text book.
As it's the bulk movement of water out of the cell

Wth is exopinocytosis!
It's not mentioned in the specification so i highly doubt that is the answer. it would be probably in the 'Allow...' section of the markscheme tho
Reply 243
Original post by PeterMJP
I think it'll go up due to everyone who sat it was resitting it and could go up to 48 for an A which is 80% but tbh i think it'll be 45 for an A

Controversial
can someone make an unofficial ms
i think i made so many mistakes on that paper
Original post by Zordon
Controversial

It wasn't a bad paper I thought except a few tricky question like moss palnt and heart question so it's more than likely they will go up
Original post by rhoxc
Wth is exopinocytosis!
It's not mentioned in the specification so i highly doubt that is the answer. it would be probably in the 'Allow...' section of the markscheme tho

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 17.48.20.png
Original post by tayoo
Left ventricle
Ventricular Septum
Cardiac muscle for the KLM one. Sorry

Was it not the right ventricle because the muscle layer was larger and chamber bigger?
did you have to say RIGHT ventricle. i jus wrote atrium, septum and apex
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
I put atrium, septum, ventricular wall

same.
what do people think the mark for a B would be?
I thought I did really well till I read this thread🙃
Original post by badhand45
Was it not the right ventricle because the muscle layer was larger and chamber bigger?

Was the last question not asking for the sinoatrial node, atrioventricular node and apex? as those positions that it showed were the positions of the nodes??
Also, the fill the 4 blanks in a bit tricky, i put cell wall, cortex, pits and casparian strip lol i think my middle answers were iffy
It was better than last year though
Original post by Noorvik
Palisade and Guard cells :3

Same, worked it out right at the end.
I don't see how this paper no matter if there were retakes or not could get to 48 for an A? I have never seen a grade boundary so high plus it was a very weird paper. Also I got DABE, for the cells I put pallisade and guard cells. For the heart I know i got it wrong I put aorta atrium and ventricle walls. For the part about the component of the membrane I put the hydrophobic tail which Im saying is wrong at the moment but I feel it is a component of the plasma membrane so input would be duly needed in that case. For the question about water up the moss in the exam I couldnt think of where it says that the only way the transpiration stream works if if there is a xylem so I went on about the tension from evaporation at the top etc. I will look in my textbook to see if that only works with the xylem Im not too sure. I got 117 micro metres for the thickness of the artery. Anaphase too. I got Z for the transmission and A was the scanning in my opinion because of the 3D image. Any other questions I will try to remember what I put. I feel I have lost 4 marks on the heart 4 marks on the water with the moss 2 marks on the DABE one and 1 mark on the phospholid bilayer one so far. So fair to say I am very worried at this point in time. I needed an A really to push myself to get the chance to get an A overall at A2.
Original post by Abdullah Qadiri
Just did the 2016 retake AS Biology f211 paper and I must say I am very chuffed with how I did. I finished the paper a bit early so went back and corrected two questions I got wrong. Trust me, Its all about exam technique. However much biology you know, it doesn't matter, if you have good exam technique and manage your time effieciently you can easily nail it.

This
Original post by astrostar29
Here's my answers to a few peoples questions

Why doesn't the Amoeba have a transport system, o said it has large surface area to volume ratio therefore diffusion alone is adequate

Other uses of the plasma membrane of the Amoeba, i said communication with other Amoebas and cell signalling/receptor sites to detect food and nutrient availability.

KLM - most of the people in my school got right atria, septum and wall of left ventricle
Pretty much all of us put a line just below the atria going horizontally, not slanted, if you look at a diagram of heart it's tilted.

With regards to the name given to water moving out of the cell I don't think exocytosis alone would cut it. I think it should exoPINOcytosis - refer to the bottom of page 25 in the ocr purple text book.
As it's the bulk movement of water out of the cell

With regards to the movement of water up the moss plant you can't refer to the transpiration pull , capillary action or xylem itself because it said the plant had no vascular tissues. I talked about water potential, osmosis and root pressure.

125micrometres for the size of the artery

For the question about having no vacuole I said the Amoeba would keep talking up water and the cell would burst ...

C was the leaf adapted to living in the conditions they described as it had a small surface area to reduce water loss

Other adaptations : loads for this I just said densely packed spongy mesophyll ...

Translocation: movement of (named) assimilates up and down the plant by mass flow (probably other marking points here, eg mention of phloem, source, sink etc)

How air movement and wind changes increases rate of transpiration.

Air carries water vapour that has been lost from the leaves. This ensures that the Water vapour potential from the intracellular spaces to the outside of the leaf is high, which increases the rate of diffusion

I personally thought it was difficult to differentiate between the insert showing telophase or anaphase. Although i think if you put telophase or anaphase it won't affect the marks in the 5marker later on.

That 3 marker about what else happens other than mitosis, I put interphase consisting of the s phase, DNA replication , G1 phase biosynthesis of organelles or proteins , g2 phase growth organelles

Sorry they're out of order but just seeing what I can remember

exoPINOcytosis is not a thing. pinocytosis is an example of Exocytosis
Original post by Fbvgehsnw
Guys for the Amoeba q was it asking about functions of membranes inside the cell or the plasma membrane? Could have sworn it said inside...

It said "in" I underlined it.
Original post by Realbigboi
I don't see how this paper no matter if there were retakes or not could get to 48 for an A? I have never seen a grade boundary so high plus it was a very weird paper. Also I got DABE, for the cells I put pallisade and guard cells. For the heart I know i got it wrong I put aorta atrium and ventricle walls. For the part about the component of the membrane I put the hydrophobic tail which Im saying is wrong at the moment but I feel it is a component of the plasma membrane so input would be duly needed in that case. For the question about water up the moss in the exam I couldnt think of where it says that the only way the transpiration stream works if if there is a xylem so I went on about the tension from evaporation at the top etc. I will look in my textbook to see if that only works with the xylem Im not too sure. I got 117 micro metres for the thickness of the artery. Anaphase too. I got Z for the transmission and A was the scanning in my opinion because of the 3D image. Any other questions I will try to remember what I put. I feel I have lost 4 marks on the heart 4 marks on the water with the moss 2 marks on the DABE one and 1 mark on the phospholid bilayer one so far. So fair to say I am very worried at this point in time. I needed an A really to push myself to get the chance to get an A overall at A2.

I really doubt it will be 48 for an A, my teacher told me that they decide the grade boundaries looking at retakes from past years, so this year they will not be using a bell curve to decide the grade boundaries, as that would just be unfair. I reckon 44-46 for an A

Don't worry about how you've done though, all you can do is not worry about this and focus on the exams that you have coming up. Say you made a couple of silly mistakes in this paper, you can always pick up marks in F215 as there are so many marks and the grade boundaries are pretty low.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending