The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

http://goo.gl/TSwbLr fill this in and see everyones results, its for the gcse conflict poetry this year on what poem will be named
anyone know what questions will come up for Lord of the Flies and A view from a bridge? I'm thinking Simon or Jack. Beatrice, Marco and Alfieri
Who came up last year for AIC and Heroes?/what theme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 403
Original post by SophFlorence
Who came up last year for AIC and Heroes?/what theme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I WILL INCLUDE AIC AND HEROES ESSAY QUESTIONS FROM 2012-2015 IN THIS POST FOR ANYONE INTERESTED

2012-
AIC: Give advice to the actor playing Eric on how he should present the character to anaudience. In your advice, you should include detailed reference to the play’s events,characters, and themes.

Inspector Goole says, “We are responsible for each other.” How does J.B. Priestleypresent this idea to an audience in An Inspector Calls?

HEROES: How does Robert Cormier present the character of Nicole in his novel?

“A story of revenge.” To what extent do you agree with this description of Heroes?

2013-
AIC : An Inspector Calls has been described as a play about deception, hypocrisy and lies. How does J.B. Priestley present this in the play?Eric and Gerald both had an affair with Eva Smith/Daisy Renton. With which of these two men do you have more sympathy? Give reasons for what you say

HEROES: Francis says he 'felt like a fake' rather than the hero he wanted to be. What do you think of Francis and the way he is presented in Heroes ?

'War has a lasting effect on those who fight in it.' How does Robert Cormier present this in Heroes?

2014-
AIC: Imagine you are Mr Birling. At the end of the play, you think back over its events. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Mr Birling would speak when you write your answer.

What do you think of Inspector Goole and how he is presented in An Inspector Calls?

HEROES: What do you think about Larry LaSalle and the way he is presented in the novel?

To what extent do you find the ending of Heroes a satisfying conclusion to the novel?

2015-
AIC: What does An Inspector Calls reveal about attitudes to women in the early 20thcentury?

To what extent is it possible to sympathise with Mrs. Birling? Remember to support youranswer with reference to the play and to comment on its social, cultural and historicalcontext

HEROES: How does Robert Cormier create sympathy for the character of Francis in Heroes?

One of the themes of Heroes is the use and abuse of power. How does Robert Cormierpresent this theme in his novel?

PREDICTIONS?!?!?!?

AIC: shelia possibly?
could be a question on the parent/child relationship?
Could possibly be a question on Shelia and Gerald's relationship?
How does Eva represent he lower class working women at the time 'An Inspector Calls' was set????

HEROES: How the aspect of Religion is important to the novel?
Francis and Nicole's relationship?

However, these are only predictions and well after seeing the Of Mice and Men paper., it's the could bring back questions that have already come up or re-word them. Good Luck to everyone!
Reply 404
Any ideas on what points to include for the importance of Gerald Croft in AIC?
Reply 405
Original post by Amulya
Any ideas on what points to include for the importance of Gerald Croft in AIC?

Represents how men were allowed to sleep around before marriage but women aren't. (e.g. Eva/Daisy is frowned upon for sleeping with men before marriage)

He creates a paradox with Daisy/Eva and Shelia as he "insisted on Daisy moving into these rooms". He protects Daisy from unpleasant and disturbing things whereas he leaves Shelia exposed to the gruesome details of Eva/Daisy's death.

He seems to adhere to traditional views concerning men and women, he tries to protect Sheila from hearing about his affair, not only because he wants to hide it from he but he fears she will be too weak willed and find it very upsetting. "Why should you its bound to be unpleasant and disturbing."

He has the big deception/lie theme towards Shelia, as his affair with Daisy is revealed.

Represents the breakdown in Eric and Mr Birling's relationship as he "(nodding confidentially to Birling)"

Gerald is from an upper class family and he is the Birlings social superior. Mr Birling makes this clear when he says. "Lady Croft - while she doesn't object to my girl - feels you might have done better for yourself socially.

Like the two older Birling's Gerald seems to have learnt nothing from the whole situation, he replys to Sheila, saying that they all helped kill her, "Did we? Who says so?" He may not have learnt anything due to his status in society and this is one of his weaknesses.

In the end Gerald shows clearly that he believes nothing has changed. "Everything's all right now, Sheila. What about this ring?" He expects that Sheila will have gotten over it so soon and he believes that now that the situation is over everything can go back to normal, this shows quite a naive side of Gerald and shows that he has had no understanding of the lesson the Inspector was trying to teach and that he has little respect for Sheila.

Reply 406
Original post by mrh7
Represents how men were allowed to sleep around before marriage but women aren't. (e.g. Eva/Daisy is frowned upon for sleeping with men before marriage)

He creates a paradox with Daisy/Eva and Shelia as he "insisted on Daisy moving into these rooms". He protects Daisy from unpleasant and disturbing things whereas he leaves Shelia exposed to the gruesome details of Eva/Daisy's death.

He seems to adhere to traditional views concerning men and women, he tries to protect Sheila from hearing about his affair, not only because he wants to hide it from he but he fears she will be too weak willed and find it very upsetting. "Why should you its bound to be unpleasant and disturbing."

He has the big deception/lie theme towards Shelia, as his affair with Daisy is revealed.

Represents the breakdown in Eric and Mr Birling's relationship as he "(nodding confidentially to Birling)"

Gerald is from an upper class family and he is the Birlings social superior. Mr Birling makes this clear when he says. "Lady Croft - while she doesn't object to my girl - feels you might have done better for yourself socially.

Like the two older Birling's Gerald seems to have learnt nothing from the whole situation, he replys to Sheila, saying that they all helped kill her, "Did we? Who says so?" He may not have learnt anything due to his status in society and this is one of his weaknesses.

In the end Gerald shows clearly that he believes nothing has changed. "Everything's all right now, Sheila. What about this ring?" He expects that Sheila will have gotten over it so soon and he believes that now that the situation is over everything can go back to normal, this shows quite a naive side of Gerald and shows that he has had no understanding of the lesson the Inspector was trying to teach and that he has little respect for Sheila.

Thank you so much! This is very useful
Reply 407
Original post by Amulya
Thank you so much! This is very useful

My pleasure! Best of luck for your exam!
Reply 408
Original post by TracyEmu
WJEC English literature unit 1: Monday 23 May
WJEC English literature unit 2: Friday 27 May
WJEC English language unit 1 & 2 : Tuesday 7 June

For English literature, I am studying Of Mice And Men and unseen poetry, A Christmas Carol and Blood Brothers.
What are your predictions on the Essay questions for 2016? Any tactics for answering the unseen poetry response?

What are your predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?

My teacher was saying possibly the theme of Marilyn Monroe for blood brothers or Sammy and then for a Christmas Carol it could be the Cratchits, All the ghosts or Christmas as a theme
Reply 409
WHY IS FRANCIS CASSAVANT IMPORTANT TO HEROES? (apart from being the protagonist 0.0
Original post by jrwignall
anyone know what questions will come up for Lord of the Flies and A view from a bridge? I'm thinking Simon or Jack. Beatrice, Marco and Alfieri

Yeh i think the same
Reply 411
Original post by raaaaab
WHY IS FRANCIS CASSAVANT IMPORTANT TO HEROES? (apart from being the protagonist 0.0

represents the true reality of war-"I saw how young they were, boys with apple cheeks, too young to shave. Like me"
"The war is over and i have no face"

Although he was awarded a Silver Star in the war, for falling on a grenade and saving his platoon’s lives, Francis feels that he is not a hero, and as if he is a fraud. He joined the army because he wanted to die, and believes he fell on the grenade in order to do so. He does not believe he is a hero because his motives were not heroic. Again we see he has a sense of shame and guilt.

He does do his best to ensure that he has no future, by burning the contact details of his friend from the hospital in England, and of the doctor who says he will repair his face. He calls this ‘closing doors to the future’. He seems to be doing this to leave himself no option but to go through with this plan. Hope returns to the novel in the final chapter when he thinks about tracking them down again. Links to the psychological effect war had on veterans.

When he returns to Frenchtown he remains anonymous, even asking Arthur to conceal his identity when he realises it. He lies to Mrs Belander and to others about who he is. This is not only to make it easier to kill LaSalle, but also to avoid the recognition and respect he feels he does not deserve he is not a hero.

Francis has a strong sense of guilt. He has had a Catholic education and in chapter one he prays in church. He says he is filled with a sense of shame and guilt because he is praying for the man he wants to kill (LaSalle). Similarly he decides to join the army because suicide would not only be a sin, but shameful when there were soldiers sacrificing their lives for others in the war.

Sorry if this isn't useful, i just tried to gather general points about Francis and his significance
anyone doing NLMG???
Original post by Willls
Does anyone have an idea of what will come up for Unit 2? (Lord of the flies & A View from the Bridge)

Simon’s never come up before for Lord of The Flies and our teacher predicts he will this year because it’s the last year of the current syllabus :smile:
Reply 414
AIC- Key points to say about Shelia? That's the only prediction I seem to find for AIC

Heroes - Key points to say about Francis and Nicole?

Maybe even some points for the theme friendship for both stories? I'm struggling!!
Reply 415
Original post by Lish24
AIC- Key points to say about Shelia? That's the only prediction I seem to find for AIC

Heroes - Key points to say about Francis and Nicole?

Maybe even some points for the theme friendship for both stories? I'm struggling!!

i wrote a little bit on predictions on this thread. it's on the last page or the one before that
Reply 416
Original post by adamhill3
Simon’s never come up before for Lord of The Flies and our teacher predicts he will this year because it’s the last year of the current syllabus :smile:

But have sam n' eric not come up yet?
Original post by mrh7
I WILL INCLUDE AIC AND HEROES ESSAY QUESTIONS FROM 2012-2015 IN THIS POST FOR ANYONE INTERESTED

2012-
AIC: Give advice to the actor playing Eric on how he should present the character to anaudience. In your advice, you should include detailed reference to the play’s events,characters, and themes.

Inspector Goole says, “We are responsible for each other.” How does J.B. Priestleypresent this idea to an audience in An Inspector Calls?

HEROES: How does Robert Cormier present the character of Nicole in his novel?

“A story of revenge.” To what extent do you agree with this description of Heroes?

2013-
AIC : An Inspector Calls has been described as a play about deception, hypocrisy and lies. How does J.B. Priestley present this in the play?Eric and Gerald both had an affair with Eva Smith/Daisy Renton. With which of these two men do you have more sympathy? Give reasons for what you say

HEROES: Francis says he 'felt like a fake' rather than the hero he wanted to be. What do you think of Francis and the way he is presented in Heroes ?

'War has a lasting effect on those who fight in it.' How does Robert Cormier present this in Heroes?

2014-
AIC: Imagine you are Mr Birling. At the end of the play, you think back over its events. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Mr Birling would speak when you write your answer.

What do you think of Inspector Goole and how he is presented in An Inspector Calls?

HEROES: What do you think about Larry LaSalle and the way he is presented in the novel?

To what extent do you find the ending of Heroes a satisfying conclusion to the novel?

2015-
AIC: What does An Inspector Calls reveal about attitudes to women in the early 20thcentury?

To what extent is it possible to sympathise with Mrs. Birling? Remember to support youranswer with reference to the play and to comment on its social, cultural and historicalcontext

HEROES: How does Robert Cormier create sympathy for the character of Francis in Heroes?

One of the themes of Heroes is the use and abuse of power. How does Robert Cormierpresent this theme in his novel?

PREDICTIONS?!?!?!?

AIC: shelia possibly?
could be a question on the parent/child relationship?
Could possibly be a question on Shelia and Gerald's relationship?
How does Eva represent he lower class working women at the time 'An Inspector Calls' was set????

HEROES: How the aspect of Religion is important to the novel?
Francis and Nicole's relationship?

However, these are only predictions and well after seeing the Of Mice and Men paper., it's the could bring back questions that have already come up or re-word them. Good Luck to everyone!

Thank you!
Is anybody else doing Pride and Prejudice?
and if so do you have any ideas on what may come up?
Could you perhaps argue that there is a parallel between Francis and Nicole's relationship and men and war? Whilst love seems fantasy-like, hence Francis comparing Nicole to the Statue of St Therese, it's clearly a mask covering the reality. This is similar to when young Francis thinks that war will involve "drinking Vin Rouge" just like in a "Hemingway novel". Of course, this is very naive of him to think so, which is why he ends up being both physically and mentally scarred.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest