The Student Room Group

Linked pair pilot - Applications of Maths (Edexcel) 24/05/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BenTLad
that would make sense as i put 2x>y instead.

Do you remember the question regarding whether a supermarket or a market sold a certain product cheaper (forgot) what did you put that as i weren't entirely sure that i was right on that one either.

In the end, I got that the supermarket was better for value.
I can't remember the value(s) I got but it wasn't a very large difference.

Do you remember the taxable income one? I kept checking over it because I don't know whether it was right.
Reply 21
Original post by alyxgower
Not sure if I'm right as I hate maths but I put the supermarket was cheaper, as I worked out 1g for each and compared?

I did the same as that, not sure if you were meant to compare them by the 100g though as most people i spoke to after the exam did so i'm worried i may lose a mark because of that.
Original post by BenTLad
that would make sense as i put 2x>y instead.

Do you remember the question regarding whether a supermarket or a market sold a certain product cheaper (forgot) what did you put that as i weren't entirely sure that i was right on that one either.

Going back to your previous comments:

I think the inequality profit was £19340 (which was 92x and 21y)

The inequalities were x+y <112 (or equal to) and x>y

The Supermarket question was comparing the Market and the Supermarket on prices of coffee, I found the Supermarket to be better value for money as you got more coffee per £1 :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lemuelc14
My man Toj

Lems
Reply 24
Original post by Tojsagay

Do you remember the taxable income one? I kept checking over it because I don't know whether it was right.

I used the graph feature on my calculator to work out the y values but i forgot the second part of the question. If im not mistaken i think the values increased at a constant rate of £400 or £200
Original post by BenTLad
I did the same as that, not sure if you were meant to compare them by the 100g though as most people i spoke to after the exam did so i'm worried i may lose a mark because of that.

All of the questions like that don't have a set multiple/factor you have to compare them by. You could do it to the ton for all the examiner cares. Ultimately, the answer will be the same and you'll have a comparison for most of the marks.
Lems

Did you get 4x for the t expression in that question about the shaded rhombus and the rectangle

For taxable income I got £600 as an answer as it was 10,000 for eva and i got 13,000 for adam then put it into the equation they gave you? Not sure if that's right.
Original post by BenTLad
I used the graph feature on my calculator to work out the y values but i forgot the second part of the question. If im not mistaken i think the values increased at a constant rate of £400 or £200

Yeah, it was a constant rate of 400 (just done it on my calculator now).
But for the second part of the question, (the person with £3000 more taxable income) I got that he pays £600 more.
Original post by Lemuelc14
Did you get 4x for the t expression in that question about the shaded rhombus and the rectangle

Mr Singh did it at break time and that's the answer. Can't remember what I put.
For taxable income I got £600 as an answer as it was 10,000 for eva and i got 13,000 for adam then put it into the equation they gave you? Not sure if that's right.

That's what I got. I believe it's right but I'm not sure if the working I put is correct or not.
I didn't get the kite angle one or the t expression or the inequalities or the one where the rectangle was in the shape I literally lost out on so many marks :frown:
Can anyone possibly post an unofficial mark scheme?
Was just thinking that. If I knew the questions, I could.
I didn't get the kite angle one or the t expression or the inequalities or the one where the rectangle was in the shape I literally lost out on so many marks :frown:

The t question and the rectangle in the shape is the same question! :smile:
Don't worry too much about it...some of the questions were pretty difficult :s-smilie:
Theres always Applications 2 as well, I'm sure you will do fine :p: :smile:
Reply 35

yeah g i put that aswell x
Reply 36
Yeah, it was a constant rate of 400 (just done it on my calculator now).
But for the second part of the question, (the person with £3000 more taxable income) I got that he pays £600 more.

is that you just remembering the question or is their a way to access the test we did today?
Original post by BenTLad
Just made an account to compare answers for this exam with the ones i didn't understand, for the ones i weren't 100% sure of I got:

Stratified sampling question-13
Histogram percentage question-87.5
Finding length of rectangle marked x-3.5
Maximum profit in linear programming-18,800
Question on Antifreeze -Didn't do as i didn't understand what it meant
Find angle which was in the kite-36 degrees
Men who played badminton- 7

Did i get any of these question right?

The length of the side with the X with the two rectangles was 4.6 recurring

2(6x) = 6x+ 26
12x= 6x + 26
6x = 26
X= 4.6 recurring
Reply 38
Original post by Lauren0812
The length of the side with the X with the two rectangles was 4.6 recurring

2(6x) = 6x+ 26
12x= 6x + 26
6x = 26
X= 4.6 recurring

it weren't b
For the histogram one I got 140, but I didn't know what to do from then so how many marks will I get just for working out the frequency? I guessed 86% as an answer because didn't want to leave it blank.
Also for stratified sampling I got 13 and badminton 7 too.

Probably 1. I for working out the area, or how many squares, two for the x/y times 100 ( the maths lol ) and then 1 for the answer 87.5%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending