The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE MATHS, Higher, Paper 1 (NON CALC)

FIND THE 2017 PAPER 3 UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME HERE!

I had my AQA maths paper today for my GCSE's, and whilst in the exam I felt confident and prepared, admittedly I did leave various questions blank, as I found the obvisouly strenuous questions located at the back of the paper particularly hard. That said, after the exam was finished I made the mistake of comparing results and gathering feedback from classmates, in particular those in a higher set than me, it's hard to avoid the conversations throughout the day of how appearently 'easy' the examination was. However this left a lasting impact and deffinately knocked my confidence drastically; I now feel that I've made silly mistakes and disregarded points that could of been an easy win. At the moment i'm looking forward to the calculator paper as I usually perform better in this one, yet on the other hand i'm still annoyingly torn between thinking I might not have even passed to knowing that I've done the best I could. The stress is almost eating me up :/

I was wondering if anybody had the predicted grade boundries for this specific paper as well as any mark schemes people had put together - this might give me a boost of confidence or self beliefe... Feel free to add comments of other peoples thoughts as all that really seems to be on the thread is of the OCR and EDEXCEL - none of them I have taken, apart from what I have already specified.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi mate, yeah I sat the same exam today and found it very difficult and having completed recent past papers with good grades I have had my confidence knocked a bit in maths. All I would say is that the general opinion in my school was that it was a hard paper and looking through past grade boundaries typically 40 marks would get you an A on a tougher paper like this one. Hope everything goes ok for in the calculator one tho :smile:
Reply 3
Don't sweat it, I noticied it was harder and I can assure you it will be like -6 from last year for all the boundaries - They attempted to make the questions much harder and I think many people would have got a few wrong so don't worry mate :smile:
Reply 4
I had a look at the predicted mark scheme that somebody has taken the time to put together, and I've pointed out some marks that I did get similar to, some right, and some that I think a lot of marks for getting the basic principles of the answer right, would be greatly awarded. It's also appreciated that quite a few people have said the paper was rather difficult, maybe an inkling that the boundaries will in fact be lower, despite other students in my class speaking about how significantly easier it was to other years. I've been able to secure an average of a C/B for the past papers, of which I'm happy with, since I'm definitely not taking maths A Levels, besides I feel that the worst I possibly could have gotten was a D, which I should be able to level out with the upcoming calculator paper.

Thanks to those who replied to this question, it's nice knowing there's other people out there that seem to be in the same position as myself. Only 3 months to go before my school's results day, I believe it will be an anxious summer if I have a repeat performance in the second paper.

Cheers.
omg dont even i can tell by the thumbnail of the unofficial mark scheme that i did the question wrong (i rotated the shape 90 degrees clockwise instead of anticlockwise what even am i?? i always lose marks for not reading the question ugh)
don't worry though, obviously you're stressed because you care but you've sat the exam now, you did your best and there's nothing you can do now to change the answers you put! just try and put your focus into your next exam and try and be super prepared for the calculator paper :smile:

as for mark schemes there is one hanging around tsr. i don't wanna look at it cos i know it will make me anxious! i found the exam sooo hard, out of all the past papers i've done that was by far the hardest. i know a lot of people in my year felt the same so hopefully the grade boundaries will reflect that.
Original post by sophie7194
omg dont even i can tell by the thumbnail of the unofficial mark scheme that i did the question wrong (i rotated the shape 90 degrees clockwise instead of anticlockwise what even am i?? i always lose marks for not reading the question ugh)
don't worry though, obviously you're stressed because you care but you've sat the exam now, you did your best and there's nothing you can do now to change the answers you put! just try and put your focus into your next exam and try and be super prepared for the calculator paper :smile:

as for mark schemes there is one hanging around tsr. i don't wanna look at it cos i know it will make me anxious! i found the exam sooo hard, out of all the past papers i've done that was by far the hardest. i know a lot of people in my year felt the same so hopefully the grade boundaries will reflect that.

Hi where can I get this mark scheme?
Original post by srishtibelki
Hi where can I get this mark scheme?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4120523
Reply 8
Original post by sophie7194

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't know there was a rotation question in the AQA exam??, the only one I noticed was that of enlargement and even then I managed to get the scale factor wrong.
Reply 9
That one is the Edexcel paper, I understand only a limited few take the AQA exam board so it's easy to get confused.
Original post by GAndrew
That one is the Edexcel paper, I understand only a limited few take the AQA exam board so it's easy to get confused.

ohhh sorry i haven't seen one for aqa
Reply 12
I did the aqa paper and realise stupidly I made a mistake in the perimeter one , the answer I gave was 48cm however it should have been 16 as once you worked out the size of the new tiles put together - it was the small tile in mosaic I then needed to find perimeter for- which I did know to find at beginning of question but forgot all about by end of calculations- doh!! I should though still receive method marks for my workings out shown.
Reply 13
The plumbing solving one was a horrible one too, totally confused myself on that one!
On the whole though , I think I coped really well and was a fair representation of my abilities, I think on target for a B
Original post by Bonkers1
I did the aqa paper and realise stupidly I made a mistake in the perimeter one , the answer I gave was 48cm however it should have been 16 as once you worked out the size of the new tiles put together - it was the small tile in mosaic I then needed to find perimeter for- which I did know to find at beginning of question but forgot all about by end of calculations- doh!! I should though still receive method marks for my workings out shown.

I did that as well! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Thanks again for replying to this thread :smile: In regards to the questions I have attached a word file of my answers based from memory, compared to that of the unofficial mark scheme. I'd like to see how you think you compared to this, taking in to account that these answers are only a prediction, however many do appear to be correct.

Cheers
Reply 16
For question 19b I just put 1 instead of 0.1 do you think I'd get at least half a mark? (I'm not sure how many marks it was worth though)
What value did you put for the question with the scatter graph?
Reply 18
Original post by roberta20
What value did you put for the question with the scatter graph?
The basic idea for that question was to draw a line of best fit, as for myself I understood it was exactly 500, however with these types of questions you can always assume that there will be a range of accepted answers or values. When looking around and speaking to others, some people wrote 490, others 510 - estimating that the answer covers values ranging from 490-510. I think this question was only a one marker, at best two.
Reply 19
Original post by Bryx
For question 19b I just put 1 instead of 0.1 do you think I'd get at least half a mark? (I'm not sure how many marks it was worth though)
If we're thinking of the same question - this being the drawn axis without any digits, the information given was something like y=x^2. If this was the case I can remember that the question was out of a total of 1 mark, specifying that for the mark 2 correct coordinates must be shown - this being (0,1). This question was most definitely an A/A* topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending