The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lulabellead
Hi, for q6 part iii I went wrong in the method somewhere and got the wrong answer, but I realised and still wrote N=38. How many marks would I get? Also for the equating coefficient question I used k as the coefficient and somehow got +/- root 1/9. Would I get any marks?

6iii) should get full marks

your other question just sounds wrong - probably no marks for that bit
Original post by Kantth
For 9 (ii) dont even know what i did but ended up gettin a=0 and when i subbed a into another equation it gave me k=0 would i even get a mark for writing k=0 or will they ignore it?

No marks.
Does anyone happen to have a copy of the question paper please? :smile:
Original post by Mr M
6iii) should get full marks

your other question just sounds wrong - probably no marks for that bit

Thanks - will i not drop marks for getting the method wrong?
Also what was the question for the last part of question 9?
Reply 164
Original post by Mr M
7) drop 1

9iii) drop 1 probably

Thanks
For question 7iii) I differentiated the equation and then simplified it but I forgot to put it equal to 0. How many marks would I lose?
Reply 166
I got 65 out of 72 what UMS might that be?

What was 100 last year?
Hi Sir, for 6iii) I found the sum to N of the geometric instead of the arithmetic series (so my inequality was sum to N of the geometric > sum to infinity of geometric). I then tried to solve this by trial and error. Would I get just 1/6 for correctly calculating the sum to infinity of the geometric or would I get another mark somewhere?

Also could you explain the answer to 9ii)? Thank you.
for 9 iii I squared the side which had root3cosax only. Then I substituted in 3(1-sin^2ax). I cant remember if it was ax but would that gain any marks???
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2016

1. (i) 10 cm (2 marks)

(ii) 5.04 cm (2 marks)

2. (i) 3π10\displaystyle \frac{3 \pi}{10} (2 marks)

(ii) r=20.4r=20.4 (3 marks)

3. (i) 27+27kx+9k2x2+k3x3\displaystyle 27 +27kx+9k^2x^2 +k^3x^3 (4 marks)

(ii) k=±3k=\pm \sqrt{3} (2 marks)

4. (i) log3x2x+4\displaystyle \log_3 \frac{x^2}{x+4} (2 marks)

(ii) x=12x = 12 (4 marks)

5. (a) x42x3+2x26x+k\displaystyle \frac{x^4}{2} -x^3 +2x^2-6x+k (3 marks)

(b) (i) 2a26a+4\displaystyle \frac{2}{a^2} - \frac{6}{a} + 4 (4 marks)

(ii) 4 (1 mark)

6. (i) k=91k=91 (3 marks)

(ii) S16=978\displaystyle S_{16} = 978 (2 marks)

(iii) N=38N=38 (6 marks)

7. (i) Quotient x24x+3x^2-4x+3 and remainder 0 (3 marks)

(ii) x=1x=1 or x=1x=-1 or x=3x=3 (3 marks)

(iii) Show (2 marks)

(iv) 51215\displaystyle \frac{512}{15} (4 marks)

8. (i) Translation by 2 units in the positive x direction (2 marks)

(ii) Stretch parallel to the y axis scale factor 19\displaystyle \frac{1}{9} (2 marks)

(iii) Sketch showing (0,19)(0, \frac{1}{9}) as the only point of intersection (2 marks)

(iv) x=6.73x=6.73 (3 marks)

(v) 9.60 (3 marks)

9. (i) 2πa\displaystyle \frac{2 \pi}{a} (1 mark)

(ii) a=53\displaystyle a=\frac{5}{3} and k=32\displaystyle k=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} (3 marks)

(iii) x=π3a\displaystyle x=\frac{\pi}{3a} and x=4π3a\displaystyle x=\frac{4 \pi}{3a} (4 marks)

Sorry guys I made a mess of 9(ii) at the start - I didn't notice k had to be positive. It's right now.

Will you be making one for edexcel maths paper 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For question 6iii, if I used the right method, used the formula for sum of the arithmetic sequence, calculated sum to infinity plugged in the numbers and made it > than a sum to infinity, but ended up with the wrong value of N, so I went wrong somewhere in my calculations, how many marks would I get?
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Will you be making one for edexcel maths paper 1?

I was thinking about doing so tomorrow but I don't want to get involved with the embargo breaking that is currently going on so I think I'll just give it a miss.
Original post by Nikita_2313
For question 6iii, if I used the right method, used the formula for sum of the arithmetic sequence, calculated sum to infinity plugged in the numbers and made it > than a sum to infinity, but ended up with the wrong value of N, so I went wrong somewhere in my calculations, how many marks would I get?

Drop 1 or 2.
For q3 part 2 I wrote the wrong constant (used 3 instead of 27) I'm guessing that's no marks but wanted to check to see if anyone thinks they could give a mark for right method?
Sorry I'm still confused about -3 not being a solution to 4 (ii) - why isn't 2log3(-3) = log9? :s-smilie:
Original post by bluegirl64
Sorry I'm still confused about -3 not being a solution to 4 (ii) - why isn't 2log3(-3) = log9? :s-smilie:

Try putting log(-3) on your calculator, its invalid
Original post by aiman_
Mr M I am so sorry for asking this in an a level thread but can you pleaseeeee make a mark scheme for the edexcel mathematics A exam higher that we did today pleaseeee, I really want to get an accurate judgement about how I did today so that I can see how many marks I need to get an A* overall.

Than you soooo much!!:smile:

Other people have already done this.
Original post by cherrybirds
Try putting log(-3) on your calculator, its invalid

thanks for replying - yep I was wondering why it's invalid, and why for 2log3(-3) the power 2 wouldn't 'go up' and square the -3 as it would a positive number?
Original post by bluegirl64
thanks for replying - yep I was wondering why it's invalid, and why for 2log3(-3) the power 2 wouldn't 'go up' and square the -3 as it would a positive number?

But that's in a different form. The question asked for it to satisfy whatever it was, and x = -3 did not since you can't have negative logs
for 9 iii I squared the side which had root3cosax only. Then I substituted in 3(1-sin^2ax) for that side. I cant remember if it was ax but would that gain any marks??? Please could you reply. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending