The Student Room Group

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RasputinReborn
What were people's answers for the cell density calculation? I think there were 30,000 cells, they double every 19 hours and you had to calculate the density after four days?

I rushed and got 150000.

24hrs x 4 days = 96hrs
96/19 = 5.05
5 * 30000 = 150000

wbu?
Original post by valbrechts
its the biggest ******** ive ever seen in my life. The amount of work ive put into revising the whole syllabus has gone to waste. I LITERALLY understand and memorized the whole unit but still struggled.

Here are some of my answers not in order: (simplified)

Sap Vacuole, Chloroplasts
Metaphase, Cytokinesis
1.5 x10^5 (the density question)
Other parts of the cell absorbed the stain which blocks light
cell wall is inelastic which opposes hydrostatic pressure when cytoplasm expands

PS DID ANYONE ELSE WRITE DOWN ATLEAST 4 OSMOSIS RELATED ANSWERS?

sap vacuole? i thought that but i could see a round shape underneath similar to that of a mitochondria cut on in alternate angle.
Also Its not Cytokinesis.It;s telophase. (look up telophase in google images).
And 1.5? really i had 950000. as 30000 to start with every 19 hours it doubles. So you find out it doubles 5 times in 4 days. (24*4/19) and do 30000*2^5.
Also other parts of the cell absorbed stain? can you explain. i thought the stain was meant for only Genetic material and nucleotide containing stuff. so you could c it in the ribosome etc.
And won't the cytoplasm contract when evaporation of water takes place , in the water the bacteria is living in?
Not saying you are wrong just comparing to what I got.
Reply 62
It was endocytosis, thats what the diagram depicted anyway
I missed that part out by accident but id imagine theyd be called the same things, transcription and translation
I rushed and got 150000.

24hrs x 4 days = 96hrs
96/19 = 5.05
5 * 30000 = 150000

wbu?

sorry mate its not 5*30000. as when it doubles it goes like 3>6>12 not 3>6>9>12. so it would be 2^5*30000
I rushed and got 150000.

24hrs x 4 days = 96hrs
96/19 = 5.05
5 * 30000 = 150000

wbu?

I had that, what did you label the organelles in that green thing? I think I wrote vacuole (but may have been nucleus idk) and chloroplast
Also did anyone else have biosensors. for the experiment improvement question
Yes thats exactly what it is. And also yes its not vacoule and i thought nucleus would be too small therefore put mitochondria.
Did anyone take the resit with the old spec?
Reply 68
Original post by Iloveclouds

Meeee, how did you find it?
Reply 69
Anyone doing unit 1 chemistry tomorrow? Think it'll be as bad as this?
Original post by Elljp33

I am, have no idea how it will go but I doubt it can go any worse for me
Honestly never sat an exam that hard in my life. I fully understand it was a new spec but none of the questions asked made sense to what they wanted. There was no question similar to what was in the old spec and I think that was quite unfair.
Reply 72
Original post by WJEC_corrupt
Honestly never sat an exam that hard in my life. I fully understand it was a new spec but none of the questions asked made sense to what they wanted. There was no question similar to what was in the old spec and I think that was quite unfair.

I agree, even the specimen paper they made was nothing like that exam.
Reply 73
Original post by Elljp33

It'll certainly be tricky, but I don't know if it'll be as bad. They don't have as much freedom to make questions vague like biology. Some questions could be dodgy such as equilibrium in certain conditions (like the fizzy drink question I think). I'm hoping it won't be that bad though.
Original post by aledrhys
Meeee, how did you find it?

me tooo, how did you both find it? I didn't like all the water potentials questions:s and i put leaf as the tissue when its blood, mitosis essay was okay but I feel like i didn't write enough
Original post by Iloveclouds

mee, how did you find it? Everyone said it was easy but i find it quite hard tbh:s-smilie:
Original post by robinback
It'll certainly be tricky, but I don't know if it'll be as bad. They don't have as much freedom to make questions vague like biology. Some questions could be dodgy such as equilibrium in certain conditions (like the fizzy drink question I think). I'm hoping it won't be that bad though.

Do you know which paper that question was from the equilibrium one you mentioned?
Reply 77
Original post by lemonandlime1
Do you know which paper that question was from the equilibrium one you mentioned?

Nope, sorry. It is in the WJEC revision guide if you have that. Page 89 Question 2b
Original post by Iamjos
You must have done a resit paper then, the old spec

There are 2 papers, one for WJEC and one for WJEC educas, I did the one u did too
Original post by Elljp33

I am! I really hope not! I got a B in the Chem1 specimen paper but of course that is meaningless. I just hope it's not much difficult than the spec. paper but from what I've seen today that's not guaranteed. I don't think it can get any worse than that paper today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending