The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths higher boundaries A*-A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prof84
As a rule for higher Edexcel I always say the same to students.

A* is 85%
A is 70%
B is 50%
C is 35%

The grade boundaries fluctuate depending on normal distribution curve. So if students find it easy it goes up and vice versa.

I have seen the paper and I think it will be 82% for an A* and 67% for an A.

Prof84

I found it good. Excuse the lack of vocabulary. I am aiming for an overall A*. If I was a really harsh examiner, I think I'd lose 12-15 marks. I just need to make sure my calculator exam goes very well! According to the above grade boundaries then cocky enough as it sounds, I've definately secured an A, quite comfortably, maybe an A*.
Original post by ellamoon_22
I started basically in September but mostly coursework stuff but actually finished final notes in Jan basically I've just been going over things a lot of times. I like to rewrite my notes i don't know why? It helps

I find that writing a lot of flash cards is a waste of time, never helps me. I just use the revision books and learn. The thing I absolutely love about Maths is that you don't remember things, you understand them. And I find understanding things really beneficial than just remembering things that I will forget next year
Original post by GCSEICT
The grade boundaries need to decrease because this was the hardest exam in 5 years we need to make a petition complain about those shitty A* questions or the ones at the end also the one at the start where it said ESTIMATE????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN MAKE IT CLEARER YOU MEAN THE ANSWER ORRR THE WORKINGS? So ye there are 2 answers for that I just put something like 60

Are you a troll my friend?
Original post by GCSEICT
The grade boundaries need to decrease because this was the hardest exam in 5 years we need to make a petition complain about those shitty A* questions or the ones at the end also the one at the start where it said ESTIMATE????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN MAKE IT CLEARER YOU MEAN THE ANSWER ORRR THE WORKINGS? So ye there are 2 answers for that I just put something like 60

Hardest paper in 5 years? Are you sure? Have you looked at last year's paper? This year's paper was definitely easier than last year's. For example, that vectors question was piss easy! We didn't even have to prove that anything was a straight line or anything and the "hardest" question in the paper was only a 3 marker so that means it wouldn't affect your grade as much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I think i got about 60-63 how much do you think i should get on the cal paper bearing in mind i would like an A? The cal paper is my stronger one by far anyway.
Original post by Jamezz27
I think i got about 60-63 how much do you think i should get on the cal paper bearing in mind i would like an A? The cal paper is my stronger one by far anyway.

You will need to get around 72 marks.
Reply 26
I think i got around 65, will that be an A if i replicate in the calc?
Original post by Faizanasif
An A* for this exam would most likely be around 161-163, depending on the calculator paper

Some found the exam really difficult, but I thought it was fine! Maybe I was over prepared :biggrin:

I thought the exam was really easy
Original post by JRT123
I think i got around 65, will that be an A if i replicate in the calc?

you will need about 70-75 on cal for an A altogther
Reply 29
you will need about 70-75 on cal for an A altogther

Thankyou, thats higher than i expected though :frown:
Original post by M4keen04
I thought the exam was really easy

Shhhhhh...you mustn't say that! Being over confident isn't good! I haven't approached a single people who said that and they got an A*. The highest was an A, and most people who said that got a B. You shouldn't think 'The exam wasn't so bad after all', but please don't say easy :wink:
Stupid, stupid mistakes!

Didn't read the midpoint question properly and calculated midpoint of M and P. Doh!!!
Didn't take 2m off the width of the room when calculating area so ended up with 70m2 instead of 50m2. Carried that mistake through but did rest of question OK.
I got 100-25PI for that question but didn't write it in the actual answer space. Only noticed it when flicking through the paper as it was handed in. Worked out the last question using Root 3 over 2 instead of root 3 over 3. So I ended up with an answer over 8. That's purely down to time pressure.

I reckon I scored 81 looking at that worked answer paper and I marked myself strictly.

Recently did a 2011 paper and got 100%. Smashed it to bits... but it was soooooo much easier then than the last 2 or three years.
Original post by JRT123
Thankyou, thats higher than i expected though :frown:

No no no. 75 is too high. You'll need at the most 70 to get an A, but aim for 70 as I'm not entirely sure what you need exactly
No no no. 75 is too high. You'll need at the most 70 to get an A, but aim for 70 as I'm not entirely sure what you need exactly

Yh im saying 70-75 just incase she actually didnt score 65 play safe
It actually wasn't hard-

1) people complaining about first question but the formula was literally given to u and was on the previous page?
2)there was a questionnaire which is easy as replaces the stem and leaf
3)the last question u would have got marks for even writing the formality and substituting numbers in

yeah I think we were over prepared :h: I hardly revised tho I just do past papers in class but my maths teacher is really good. I feel like a lot of people are exaggerating idk but it was slightly challenging than 2015 because a I actually found that test really good.

I think it's just because people have thought "oh, the Edexcel Maths grade boundaries were lowered last year", so people now seem to get this ideology that taking an exam to Twitter will get the grade boundaries lowered for every exam...

I think it's ridiculous.

But Twitter is generally made up of people who don't know how to write in correct English...that's why it saddens me reading through many of the tweets...
Yh im saying 70-75 just incase she actually didnt score 65 play safe

Oh I see. I think I got 90 or even more, but I'm taking account of silly mistakes although I finished with 45 minutes to spare and checked my answers a number of times :smile:
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I think it's just because people have thought "oh, the Edexcel Maths grade boundaries were lowered last year", so people now seem to get this ideology that taking an exam to Twitter will get the grade boundaries lowered for every exam...

I think it's ridiculous.

But Twitter is generally made up of people who don't know how to write in correct English...that's why it saddens me reading through many of the tweets...

Haha that's so accurate! :biggrin:
Haha that's so accurate! :biggrin:

Example:
Friend be like "what's dat little fish"?
I say idk, and she be all annoyed that she missed it out...

I mean, is it not too difficult to understand that the "little fish" is the Greek letter alpha, used in mathematics as a constant and operator within proportion to define a direct or inverse function?

:groovy:
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Example:
Friend be like "what's dat little fish"?
I say idk, and she be all annoyed that she missed it out...

I mean, is it not too difficult to understand that the "little fish" is the Greek letter alpha, used in mathematics as a constant and operator within proportion to define a direct or inverse function?

:groovy:

Haha! Some people were mistaken of it being x. At that point I was realizing why they were even bothered to take this exam :biggrin: At the same time I'm worried because the future for mathematics isn't good...
Reply 39
How hard was this paper compared to previous years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending