The Student Room Group

CIE iGCSE English Literature 0486 - ***2016 - OFFICIAL THREAD***

Any final thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nobody seems to have done the same questions me so idk hahah

(I did Hardy for Poetry and I'm the King of the Castle for Prose)

The poem was pretty okay, but the ITKOTC was a bit annoying; the essay question was stupid so I had to do the passage, which was really just the same point to answer the question... anyway

we'll see
Original post by Milzime
Nobody seems to have done the same questions me so idk hahah

(I did Hardy for Poetry and I'm the King of the Castle for Prose)

The poem was pretty okay, but the ITKOTC was a bit annoying; the essay question was stupid so I had to do the passage, which was really just the same point to answer the question... anyway

we'll see

i also did the same novel and poetry as you. i found it alright. the poem i chose was darkling thrush, but it took me a while to understand what depict meant. loool
I did ITKOTC too, the passage was so good
Reply 4
Original post by emilia12113
i also did the same novel and poetry as you. i found it alright. the poem i chose was darkling thrush, but it took me a while to understand what depict meant. loool

niicee
I chose 'At the word farewell' though, only because the question was more vague :h:

are you doing Merchant of Venice tomorrow? I literally have no idea how to revise :s
Any predictions on the unseen paper??
ANyone doing all my sons tomorrow?
any tips??
Original post by Milzime
niicee
I chose 'At the word farewell' though, only because the question was more vague :h:

are you doing Merchant of Venice tomorrow? I literally have no idea how to revise :s

hi im doing merchant of venice, have your teachers given you any tips?
Reply 7
Original post by Dmfdmf123
hi im doing merchant of venice, have your teachers given you any tips?

yeah loads >.<

for the intro, outline your three points, explain anything mentioned in the question (i.e. theme, character)

3x PEALs
P- point (relevant, concise)
E- evidence (well embedded, not too long, linguistic devices)
A- analysis (v. important)
L- link (to context, other characters/themes in the play, other plays of the time)

then conclude:
Returnto the question posed.
Howdoes the topic relate to the world around you?
Chanceto show personal response and sensitivity
Canbe an opportunity to weave in more context.

tadaa
I'm doing paper 5 the 45 min one tomorrow. Any tips? What does that test look like and how should i go about answering it? Im doing An Inspector Calls
Original post by dbrownbeast
I'm doing paper 5 the 45 min one tomorrow. Any tips? What does that test look like and how should i go about answering it? Im doing An Inspector Calls

The questions are similar to the Poetry and Prose, with a choice of two questions. I don't think there is a passage one, but you have the play anyway.

Just stick to this guide, credit to user Milzeme, and write with flair and fluidity:

for the intro, outline your three points, explain anything mentioned in the question (i.e. theme, character)

3x PEALs
L- link (to context, other characters/themes in the play, other plays of the time)

then conclude:
How does the topic relate to the world around you?
Show personal response and sensitivity
Can be an opportunity to weave in more context.

good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by patbell99
The questions are similar to the Poetry and Prose, with a choice of two questions. I don't think there is a passage one, but you have the play anyway.

Just stick to this guide, credit to user Milzeme, and write with flair and fluidity:

3x PEALs

then conclude:
How does the topic relate to the world around you?
Show personal response and sensitivity
Can be an opportunity to weave in more context.

good luck!

Okay, thanks! When you say outline your 3 points, what are my 3 points? `And how long should i do planning/ how should i plan and how many points should i write and is a conclusion necessary? Thanks
and what revision should i do tonight?
Okay, thanks! When you say outline your 3 points, what are my 3 points? `And how long should i do planning/ how should i plan and how many points should i write and is a conclusion necessary? Thanks

The 3 points are your three PEAL points (e.g., if the question is "How does Priestley use stage directions to enhance the dramatic sense of the play?" , your three points would be different examples of stage directions used). You would state the examples, e.g. using lighting or characters leaving the room in your intro.

To plan, 10 minutes, to write your answer, 30 minutes, 5 mins to check your work. To plan, I would do small spider diagrams on a few quotes or whatever, and surround them with what you want to write (do separate diagrams for each point) - maybe do more than 3 so that you can pick and choose.

In terms of conclusion, they are not always necessary, but it will always depend on the question - for example, in the example question I gave, you would not need a conclusion, but in a question such as "Mrs Birling was the main cause of Eva Smith's death - do you agree with this statement?" , a conclusion would be advisable - you would have to use all of the data that you have written in order to come to a personal standpoint and actually answer the question.

Hope these tips help :smile:
The 3 points are your three PEAL points (e.g., if the question is "How does Priestley use stage directions to enhance the dramatic sense of the play?" , your three points would be different examples of stage directions used). You would state the examples, e.g. using lighting or characters leaving the room in your intro.

To plan, 10 minutes, to write your answer, 30 minutes, 5 mins to check your work. To plan, I would do small spider diagrams on a few quotes or whatever, and surround them with what you want to write (do separate diagrams for each point) - maybe do more than 3 so that you can pick and choose.

In terms of conclusion, they are not always necessary, but it will always depend on the question - for example, in the example question I gave, you would not need a conclusion, but in a question such as "Mrs Birling was the main cause of Eva Smith's death - do you agree with this statement?" , a conclusion would be advisable - you would have to use all of the data that you have written in order to come to a personal standpoint and actually answer the question.

Hope these tips help :smile:

Yeh that helps a lot thank you!
How would i get my quotes, should i know them? I haven't done inspector calls in a while now so im not sure. Would i have to go through the book or will it give me an extract?
Yeh that helps a lot thank you!
How would i get my quotes, should i know them? I haven't done inspector calls in a while now so im not sure. Would i have to go through the book or will it give me an extract?

You shouldn't have to know them - you have the play in the exam. But you should be able to know roughly what to look for when you read the question. I.e. when you read the question , you should know where to look, without having to flick through the whole play.
You shouldn't have to know them - you have the play in the exam. But you should be able to know roughly what to look for when you read the question. I.e. when you read the question , you should know where to look, without having to flick through the whole play.

Yeh that is the problem! I havent done inspector calls since i did my coursework like a year ago and i kind of forgot about the exam So i am really unfamiliar with it and probably won't know where most quotes are. I think it will come back to me as i flick through . I got an A* on my mocks but i wasn't sure if my mocks could reflect my actual grade because this is the first one for cambridge.

(Sorry if i come across as really unprepared/ignorant i usually prepare quite well for exams haha)
Yeh that is the problem! I havent done inspector calls since i did my coursework like a year ago and i kind of forgot about the exam So i am really unfamiliar with it and probably won't know where most quotes are. I think it will come back to me as i flick through . I got an A* on my mocks but i wasn't sure if my mocks could reflect my actual grade because this is the first one for cambridge.

(Sorry if i come across as really unprepared/ignorant i usually prepare quite well for exams haha)

I haven't revised much for this one either, but I still feel as if the quotes will come back to me during the exam
Original post by Milzime
yeah loads >.<

3x PEALs

then conclude:
Howdoes the topic relate to the world around you?
Chanceto show personal response and sensitivity
Canbe an opportunity to weave in more context.

tadaa

I'm doing MoV too. If the question isn't on prejudice religion or hypocrisy I'm gonna be annoyed. I have all these clever points for those :biggrin:
Original post by DreamingBigger
I'm doing MoV too. If the question isn't on prejudice religion or hypocrisy I'm gonna be annoyed. I have all these clever points for those :biggrin:

pls share :biggrin:
Original post by Milzime
pls share :biggrin:

ok I'll sum them up a bit though
for prejudice, i have obviously got all the shylock stuff and then compare it to Othello and how shylock is made to seem like the deserved comedic loser due to his greed but Othello is the tragic protagonist.
then I have all the religion stuff cause they always make shylock nameless just Jew but then everything virtuous and perfect is Christian, e.g. Antonios Christian blood in the trial
for hypocrisy there's all the trial stuff and the mercy and then suddenly it flips and bassanios speech near the caskets bit about the deceived by ornament

I could probably discuss if the play is comic or tragic with ref to King Lear and Hamlet or the female role with Jessica, Portia and Nerissa but I'd prefer the more interesting ones like prejudice

Hope this helps you
:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending