The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Poetry Exam tomorrow - is context needed?

Hi there,

I'm feeling okay about this exam, the only thing I really need to know is do we need to include context in our Section A Anthology question answer? I have a few contextual notes on some authors and forms of poetry related to the Relationships theme, but I'm not sure whether it is necessary to include them to get top band. Please help! Thank you.
You can include them if you want, but they're not necessary. We only get marked on AO1 and AO2 for poetry :smile: (context is AO4)
Hi mate. You absolutley DON'T need context tomorrow. If you check out the mark scheme or go onto mr bruff's youtube channel there is no element in the markk scheme that asks for context (the AO4 bit of the mark scheme)...

Of course that doesn't mean you would lose marks for including it now and then to help develop your answer!

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Kireimirai
Hi there,

I'm feeling okay about this exam, the only thing I really need to know is do we need to include context in our Section A Anthology question answer? I have a few contextual notes on some authors and forms of poetry related to the Relationships theme, but I'm not sure whether it is necessary to include them to get top band. Please help! Thank you.

Hi context isn't needed in terms of the poets backgrounds but it may help you when thinking of themes and messages which is needed. Also, showing that you understand forms of poems like sonnets can help you get marks for understanding and analysing structure.
Mr Bruff's videos are really good especially for ambiguous poems like ghazal which I didn't even realise was a form of poetry.
Good Luck!!
Reply 4
Context is AO4 which isn't marked in the poetry
Will reader response and author intention be needed ???
Reply 6
Original post by GlassyMarbles
You can include them if you want, but they're not necessary. We only get marked on AO1 and AO2 for poetry :smile: (context is AO4)

Oh okay, thank you for the help! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Janse van Zyl
Hi mate. You absolutley DON'T need context tomorrow. If you check out the mark scheme or go onto mr bruff's youtube channel there is no element in the markk scheme that asks for context (the AO4 bit of the mark scheme)...

Of course that doesn't mean you would lose marks for including it now and then to help develop your answer!

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you a lot, this is a big help! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Mizz.Unicorn
Hi context isn't needed in terms of the poets backgrounds but it may help you when thinking of themes and messages which is needed. Also, showing that you understand forms of poems like sonnets can help you get marks for understanding and analysing structure.
Mr Bruff's videos are really good especially for ambiguous poems like ghazal which I didn't even realise was a form of poetry.
Good Luck!!

Mr Bruff seems to be very good! I'll definitely check out his videos. Thank you for the help and good luck wishes, likewise to you! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Wacky01
Context is AO4 which isn't marked in the poetry

I see, thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by franmorrisxxx
Will reader response and author intention be needed ???

Yes, I believe so. Reference the author's intention and make a sentence, I would say, on reader response and you should be fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending