The Student Room Group

OCR AS-Level Religious Studies: Religious Ethics - Friday 27th May 2016 (Morning)

Scroll to see replies

Quick question: how long should a 25 marker roughly be in terms of pages or paragraphs?

I'm resitting this to boost my A2 grade and honestly cannot remember how long my higher mark essays would really be. I know this depends a lot on your hand writing size, whether you babble on and such, but I just want to know. I feel like I hit the spec with the content I include, my handwriting is medium sized, but my 25 markers cover like 3 sides of A4 paper. I usually have about 6-7 paragraphs, but my paragraphs are quite long.

** this is handwritten and not typed **
http://peped.org/philosophicalinvestigations/predictions-ethics-2016-a2/

Here are the predictions I came across, as on the philosophical investigations website.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
Explain how a follower of Natural Moral Law might respond to the issues surrounding Genetic Engineering.

Write one sentence foregrounding a minimum of three issues surrounding genetic engineering that are easy to link with Natural Moral Law.

Start by explaining Natural Moral Law, possibly in a paragraph only, and do not evaluate. You lose marks for evaluating the issues/theories/application topic in section (a) questions.

Address each individual issue and comment on how followers of Natural Moral Law would approach such an issue.

Do not give a conclusion.

If you want me to write bits, please ask. I am more than happy to write full explanations of each theory and list all of the key issues surrounding each application topic should you feel that is to be helpful.

This is great and but we aren't meant to put a conclusion. I was always told to put something like

'Overall Natural law values human life and ....'

Just something brief. It would you just suggest to scrap a conclusion entirely ?
Reply 23
Original post by sianne4c
This is great and but we aren't meant to put a conclusion. I was always told to put something like

'Overall Natural law values human life and ....'

Just something brief. It would you just suggest to scrap a conclusion entirely ?

No. That is a conclusion "overall... blah". It depends on your question. Conclusions are more necessary in (b)'s so you can easily miss it in the (a) but I always have a small conc' and I haven't got lower than 92% this year, haha. Either way, do what you need to do.
Could anybody explain to me why an evaluation point of Kantian Ethics is that he commits Naturalistic Fallacy? I've sort of got the gist of what Naturalistic Fallacy means but in terms of Kantian Ethics I'm quite confused!!
Reply 25
Original post by cherrybombs
Could anybody explain to me why an evaluation point of Kantian Ethics is that he commits Naturalistic Fallacy? I've sort of got the gist of what Naturalistic Fallacy means but in terms of Kantian Ethics I'm quite confused!!

Whoever bothered teaching you that is being complicated haha.
Predictions for tomorrow guys ?
Reply 27
Predictions for tomorrow guys ?

Look at my first post.
Look at my first post.

Haha sorry.completley missed it. Good luck for tomorrow everyone 👏🏽😓
Reply 29
Haha sorry.completley missed it. Good luck for tomorrow everyone 👏🏽😓

You too. Do you need anything from me? :smile:
You too. Do you need anything from me? :smile:

Yeah do you feel like sitting my exam for me😂😂😂.

With a question like. 'Explain what is meant by an absolute theory' for part A. Would you just explain the different absolutist theories I.e. Kant and natural law.

And what else would you add?
Does anyone have good absolutism and relativism essays?
Reply 32
Original post by annieprincess
Quick question: how long should a 25 marker roughly be in terms of pages or paragraphs?

I'm resitting this to boost my A2 grade and honestly cannot remember how long my higher mark essays would really be. I know this depends a lot on your hand writing size, whether you babble on and such, but I just want to know. I feel like I hit the spec with the content I include, my handwriting is medium sized, but my 25 markers cover like 3 sides of A4 paper. I usually have about 6-7 paragraphs, but my paragraphs are quite long.

** this is handwritten and not typed **

you would spend 30 minutes on part a and 15 minutes on part b
Original post by cherrybombs

I tend to use G.E. Moore's criticism of a Naturalistic Fallacy for Natural Law rather than Kant. In terms of Natural Law, the fallacy highlights that goodness is generally un-analysable and unnatural and consequently cannot be defined by any form of natural law or reference to nature. "You cannot derive an ought (value) from an is (fact)" - so it may be a fact that I have within me a natural inclination to care for others, but this does not mean that simply because of this innate rationality that I truly ought to care for them.
Simply, we do not make divisions between facts and values in the way we experience the world - because we are naturally moral beings, we unite these two factors together.

The only mention of naturalistic elements I can generally think of within Kantian Ethics is the Contradictions of Will and Nature that Kant proposes through the first formulation of the Categorical Imperative.
A Contradiction in Will references that the nature of a maxim prevents it from being universalised within the Formula of the Law of Nature. For example, trying to generate the maxim "Kill everyone" would be ridiculous because we know the nature of this to be completely radical and therefore everyone cannot be expected to do such a thing.
The Contradiction in Nature extends from the first point referencing the nature of the maxim. Under the same scenario, trying to universalise the maxim "Kill everyone" would be completely irrational - carrying out such an act would effectively wipe out the population and the human race would cease to exist. Therefore its nature renders it non-universalisable because eventually you would be killing yourself and the entire population which is both contradictory and immoral simultaneously.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!
what do you think is most likely to come up? i have no clue what to revise right now.
Reply 35
Yeah do you feel like sitting my exam for me😂😂😂.

With a question like. 'Explain what is meant by an absolute theory' for part A. Would you just explain the different absolutist theories I.e. Kant and natural law.

And what else would you add?

Original post by shannonec
Does anyone have good absolutism and relativism essays?

Seriously, I would not even go there with abs and rel. It is too dry to do well enough - you will not get enough out of it to do well. I have got 25s all year and abs and rel only just got me an A - it is so unbelievably without substance.

Original post by helizabeth98
what do you think is most likely to come up? i have no clue what to revise right now.

Look at my OP.
Does anyone have any model high grade essays on absolutism and relativism that they could paste for me to read?
Original post by sadixx
you would spend 30 minutes on part a and 15 minutes on part b

Yeah I know that. I'm talking about the length of the essay though, as in number of pages I should roughly take up
Reply 38
Original post by annieprincess
Yeah I know that. I'm talking about the length of the essay though, as in number of pages I should roughly take up

i would normally do 3 sides with medium sized handwriting but it depends on the questions, sometimes I've done 2 sides and got just as high marks
I have 0 case studies, and was never taught the right to a child or IVF/embryo research so can someone summarize them for me and perhaps share some case studies, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending