The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Biology Unit 1 26th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haj101
Horrible paper :frown:

Really? It was straight forward other than the last 5 markers, definitely easier than last year
Original post by Bennyab
Really? It was straight forward other than the last 5 markers, definitely easier than last year

I found last years easier tbh :/
Although I did understand the concepts of the HSW questions there was a lot more compared to the 2015 paper....
Reply 302
Original post by Jboyn247
Just a quick question:

For the questions On triglycerides and pH. I spoke about how the products of hydrolysis have a lower pH than the products which means that there is a higher concentration of H+ because I wasn't Certain if I should mention fatty acids or not. I know it's quite a bit of chemistry but would I at least get some marks since it is scientifically correct but doesn't use biological key terms.

Also, is it ok to say for the question on why mitochondria comes from bacteria that it has a double membrane?

Lipase break down triglycerides into glycerol and fatty acids. You may lose one mark for not mentioning fatty acids that lower pH. Some people said they put double membrane - I cant find anything info about double membrane in prokaryotic cell in textbook. So I don't know :/
Reply 303
I think I would get 5/10 from last two questions - the rest is ok.
Reply 304
ANYONE RESITTING UNIT 2 - CLICK THIS LINK :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4122319
The more I look at the answers other people got, the more I feel like I really f****d up :frown: bye bye A
Reply 306
Original post by turtle294
The more I look at the answers other people got, the more I feel like I really f****d up :frown: bye bye A

Don't get too upset about this paper. Are you resitting unit 2? If so, you have another chance to get an A :smile:
Original post by Ordo
I think I would get 5/10 from last two questions - the rest is ok.

Same lol, 3/5 on sodium question and 2/5 on the chloride ion question, think I've dropped another 5 marks... So 50/60 probably but doubt that'll be good UMS bearing in mind many people found it easy
Original post by Ordo
Don't get too upset about this paper. Are you resitting unit 2? If so, you have another chance to get an A :smile:

yeah I'm resitting unit 2 as well. Thank you :smile: hopefully the unit 2 paper is nice to us
Original post by turtle294
Thank god for that - Thank you!!

what did u guys write for why they used different weeks
What did u guys put for the question on why smoking decreased fev (2 reasons)?????
Reply 311
Original post by studynerd4
surely if the enzyme was denatured, the amino acids would be released and since amino acids have a carboxyl group it would make it more acidic n lower the ph?

I put that all the substrate was used up

when an enzyme denatures it doesn't mean it breaks down.. it just loses it's function. the decrease in ph obviously has an effect on enzyme activity - anything away from the optimum causes denaturing. i think though, there will be two different answers. however, how realistic was it for all the substrate to have gone after 2 just two minutes.
Reply 312
Original post by hellafuego
What did u guys put for the question on why smoking decreased fev (2 reasons)?????

I can only remember the first one lol I think I put
tar deposit build up in bronchioles - restrict airway.
I think I put scar tissue formed and reduced elasticity
I've put down that the fatty acids were the reason of lowered pH... did anyone else put that?!?
Reply 315
Original post by jaseho98
I've put down that the fatty acids were the reason of lowered pH... did anyone else put that?!?

Yes most people wrote that down
Original post by Ordo
Yes its correct. I put 'ph meter will give you more precise result' - would that still be right?

I think any reference to the pH meter being quantitative while the indicator is qualitative should get you the mark.
Reply 317
Original post by Studious_Student
I think any reference to the pH meter being quantitative while the indicator is qualitative should get you the mark.

Ok thanks
Reply 318
Grade boundaries will be minimum 47 for an A since majority found this paper eaiser to last years and overall grades will be higher as only A2 were students who retook this paper. Worst year to resit
Other past papers have been a lot easier than this paper, so I think it'll still be 42-45 for an A and 52/53 for full UMS

Quick Reply

Latest