The Student Room Group

Student Finance Deadline

I've filled in all the application details and sent off the declaration form (I have confirmation that the form has been processed) but haven't filled in bank details yet (waiting until August to open a student account). My parents also haven't done their sections yet, will either of these affect whether I get the loan in time for the start of the course?
Apologies if this question has been asked recently, I didn't see one when I had a quick scroll through the threads
Reply 1
You might still get it on time. I haven't sent mine off yet either. There's still probably a lot of people who haven't
Reply 2
Original post by yindberg47
I've filled in all the application details and sent off the declaration form (I have confirmation that the form has been processed) but haven't filled in bank details yet (waiting until August to open a student account). My parents also haven't done their sections yet, will either of these affect whether I get the loan in time for the start of the course?

No, you'll be fine. 27th May is the deadline for guaranteed payment ready for the start of your course. You don't need to have your application completed by then, just submitted, which you have done.

Applications submitted after the 27th, may well get your funding in place for the start of the academic year, but SF will no longer guarantee that. The longer after that date you apply, the more likely it is that your Maintenance Loan will be delayed.

Bear in mind that you will not get your loan before your course starts. Your payments are triggered when you physically enrol at uni (usually during Freshers' or Induction Week). The uni then confirms your attendance to SF who release your funds. Always arrive at uni with enough money to support yourself for a couple of weeks.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
No, you'll be fine. 27th May is the deadline for guaranteed payment ready for the start of your course. You don't need to have your application completed by then, just submitted, which you have done.

Applications submitted after the 27th, may well get your funding in place for the start of the academic year, but SF will no longer guarantee that. The longer after that date you apply, the more likely it is that your Maintenance Loan will be delayed.

Bear in mind that you will not get your loan before your course starts. Your payments are triggered when you physically enrol at uni (usually during Freshers' or Induction Week). The uni then confirms your attendance to SF who release your funds. Always arrive at uni with enough money to support yourself for a couple of weeks.

This may be the dumbest question since my application literally says submitted but is there a catch, say you have to have both parents complete their part of the application or you to have sent off photo proof? Or will it literally be that it says submitted so I qualify for the guaranteed funding?

And, sorry for the questions but you seem more clued up than me, my passport is expired so I'll need to send off a birth certificate but I applied for finance last year and they have my passport details. Can they just reuse that if I ask them to? I'd rather not have my birth certificate going around the country.
Reply 4
Ok, thank you very much for your response, you've made it clearer to me in one post than several websites did in whole pages of text! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by thad33
This may be the dumbest question since my application literally says submitted but is there a catch, say you have to have both parents complete their part of the application or you to have sent off photo proof? Or will it literally be that it says submitted so I qualify for the guaranteed funding?

When I say "guaranteed", I mean you are guaranteed to get whatever the SF assessment decides you're entitled to, in place ready for the start of your course. That's just the submission of your initial application - your parents' income assessment doesn't have to be complete by 27th May. The amount you're entitled to will depend on your parents' income.

And, sorry for the questions but you seem more clued up than me, my passport is expired so I'll need to send off a birth certificate but I applied for finance last year and they have my passport details. Can they just reuse that if I ask them to? I'd rather not have my birth certificate going around the country.

You'll need to check with SF direct, but I doubt that details of an expired passport will be acceptable. Be prepared to send your birth certificate.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
When I say "guaranteed", I mean you are guaranteed to get whatever the SF assessment decides you're entitled to, in place ready for the start of your course. That's just the submission of your initial application - your parents' income assessment doesn't have to be complete by 27th May. The amount you're entitled to will depend on your parents' income.

You'll need to check with SF direct, but I doubt that details of an expired passport will be acceptable. Be prepared to send your birth certificate.

Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending