AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

aorry I think it was helicase unwinds strand and breaks hydrogen bonds
free floating bases complementary base pairing
dna polymerase zips steand up 3'to5' ends

dont quote me on this though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luchamb
Can someone pleeease tell me what the answer was on the first page about semi conservative replication??

For that question it said that there was already a template strand so i didnt think you had to write about DNA helicase anyway this is what i wrote :
Free nucletoides floating around attack to the hiv strand through base pairing AT CG Dna polymerase attaches the base pairings , hydrogen bonds forms between base pairing
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
aorry I think it was helicase unwinds strand and breaks hydrogen bonds
free floating bases complementary base pairing
dna polymerase zips steand up 3'to5' ends

dont quote me on this though

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you remeber how many marks it was also i didnt think you had to talk about it unwinding because it was already a template strand thats how i interpreted it anyway could be wrong
Original post by Wisteria_xo
Guys I have a question about non-competitive inhibitors
If you increase the concentration of non-competitive inhibitors then would this affect the rate of reaction?
I think it does because- these bind to enzyme at a site other than the active site and when attached change the shape in a way that the substrate cannot bind to it. therefore less enzme/substrate complexes formed?

Is this reasoning right?? Thank uuu

It does, this is because the amount of active enzymes (one's not inhibited) is decreased and thus you can think of it like the concentration of enzymes has decreased. However be aware that enzyme inhibitors are not permanent and only slow the reaction.
Original post by Junior567
do you remeber how many marks it was also i didnt think you had to talk about it unwinding because it was already a template strand thats how i interpreted it anyway could be wrong

i prob did it wrong then
i prob did it wrong then

nah we pretty much wrote the same thing you just talked about dna helicase which i thought you didnt have to write up so you may get an extra mark or not
Original post by Junior567
nah we pretty much wrote the same thing you just talked about dna helicase which i thought you didnt have to write up so you may get an extra mark or not

dont really give extra marks but yeah hopefully they dont deduct marks since the helicase stuff wasnt suppose to b there
dont really give extra marks but yeah hopefully they dont deduct marks since the helicase stuff wasnt suppose to b there

Nah dont they they do the whole paper was pretty **** for me tho
Original post by sciencenerd1309
It does, this is because the amount of active enzymes (one's not inhibited) is decreased and thus you can think of it like the concentration of enzymes has decreased. However be aware that enzyme inhibitors are not permanent and only slow the reaction.

Non-competitive are permanent actually because it completely changes the shape of the enzyme and therefore the active site
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Splaffie
Non-competitive are permanent actually because it completely changes the shape of the enzyme and therefore the active site

which question was this ??
which question was this ??

there was nothing on non-competitive inihibition but i was just correcting him because im a nerd
(edited 7 years ago)
there was nothing on non-competitive inihibition so im not sure what hes talking about either

oh i think it was just somebody elses question
It was a substitute of propylene glycol between the glycerol molecule and 3 fatty acids, there wouldn't be an ester bond but I'm pretty sure the question would have nothing to do with ester bonds because you're not told the structure of the propylene glycol molecule, what I believed they were looking for was another classic 'different molecule shape means the lipase enzyme cannot act on it due to the need for a complementary shape for it to be able to bind with the active site therefore cannot form an enzyme-substrate complex and therefore cannot be catalysed and broken down' like atleast 5 other questions in the exam

Ah I understand the stem of the q , so did they want to know why the sub can or Cannot work ?
Original post by Lemauricien
Ah I understand the stem of the q , so did they want to know why the sub can or Cannot work ?

the substitute was the substitute fat with the propylene glycol added, not a substitute enzyme, and yes the enzyme couldnt break down the substitute fat
(edited 7 years ago)
On the question where it asked what does the protein also function as (in the memebrane) did any one else put that it is an enzyme? I saw the word substrate and my brain automatically said "ENZYME" so then I commented on the fact that the substrate binds to the active site of the protein and then is transported outside the cell to build a cellulose cell wall. (I think the question was what proof does the diagram show that it is a cell surface memebrane)
Original post by KingAuthor
On the question where it asked what does the protein also function as (in the memebrane) did any one else put that it is an enzyme? I saw the word substrate and my brain automatically said "ENZYME" so then I commented on the fact that the substrate binds to the active site of the protein and then is transported outside the cell to build a cellulose cell wall. (I think the question was what proof does the diagram show that it is a cell surface memebrane)

I was a little confused on that question. I also noticed the word substrate and I immediately put down enzyme substrate complex and all the usual default waffle about enzymes.
Reply 396
How many for full ums do you guys think?
Original post by KingAuthor

as far as I know the substrate was ATP, and the channel protein hydrolysed the ATP to ADP representing that the cellulose was being actively transported into the cell, but I didn't really understand the question either I wrote for cell support and strength because they were interlocking with each other and the phospholipid bilayer
Another correct answer for a difference between mRNA and Dna is that mRNA does not have hydrogen bonds whereas DNA does
Original post by lilyjacks
Another correct answer for a difference between mRNA and Dna is that mRNA does not have hydrogen bonds whereas DNA does

yeah so many different answers were possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending